Hulu Plus opens to all, Dish says it's destroying TV industry

By on November 4, 2010, 3:22 PM
Hulu has announced that Hulu Plus, the $9.99 per month subscription TV service (unfortunately the $5 rumor has yet to be verified), is now open to everyone in the US. The service has been in a limited public preview since late June. "As we scale our infrastructure throughout the preview period, we want to open the service to a larger subscriber base," the company said in a statement. "To make it easier for people to try out Hulu Plus, you no longer need an invitation to subscribe."

In addition to having to request an invitation to join the service, Hulu Plus was available only on your computer, a handful of Samsung connected TVs and Blu-ray players, and Apple's iOS mobile devices. It is now coming to Sony's PS3 game console as well as newer Sony Bravia HDTVs; an upcoming update to the Hulu Plus PS3 app will enable access for all Playstation Network users. Hulu Plus is also expected to come to Roku set-top boxes this fall and TiVo Premiere DVRs later this year. Microsoft's Xbox 360 console will get it early next year.

In related news, Hulu's model of giving users access to TV shows shortly after they air is bad for the TV industry, according to Dish Network VP of Online Content Development and Strategy Bruce Eisen. Eisen would prefer that all online video content be locked up behind the industry's TV Everywhere initiative, with Hulu content only made available for free a month after it airs.

"If I can watch Glee tomorrow morning and I donít have to pay a pay TV service Ė I think that's bad," Eisen said during a panel about cord cutting at the Streaming Media West conference, according to GigaOm."If people decide that they don't have to pay for pay TV, then one of the pillars (of the TV industry) starts crumbling."

CyberChrist said:

My heart breaks for this poor executive who is too lazy to try and innovate compete with Hulu. If I was a dish shareholder I would be awfully upset that an executive so whiny and willing to surrender was working at my company!

Chazz said:

Companies that do not adapt to new technology die. He can go cry with the Blockbuster VP.

grimm808 said:

This is great news! Fierce competition with things like Netflix and Hulu may help cable to lower prices in the future, because I know alot of few people who are just getting rid of their TV service, as well as phone lines since everything can be operated through their broadband connections.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Well, I'm tied to my tv for now until they start making motorsports such as formula 1, motogp, and the AMA series available on there. I have feeling that's not happening anytime soon though.

z71kris said:

Maybe the CCs and Dcs will lower their prices...that would be nice...

mikeusru said:

CyberChrist said:

Totally!

The lack of thought towards innovation is astounding in some people, especially when they are working in technical fields. I guess TV is pretty old-school though, and guys like this are the ones who will get fired soon. Now that we have the technology to watch our shows whenever the hell we want (seriously, you think being able to watch SNL on sunday is bad for the show?), companies need to figure out a way to make money on the new system instead of trying to kill it off. Also, a big reason websites like Hulu were founded was to give computer users less of a reason to pirate TV shows. Take it away, and many people will resume downloading all their shows from bittorrent again - goodbye, ad revenues.

That exec is the worst. You never had to pay to watch Glee or any other nationally broadcast show. All the shows that you actually have to pay to watch aren't available on Hulu anyway, ie anything on Showtime, HBO, AMC, etc. Does he even have any clue as to what service offerings he company really has?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's funny, I can watch Glee for free without paying for cable or dish. Is Eisen a complete *****? Let me guess, he came over from the music industry:

"THERE MUST BE A MIDDLEMAN!!!!!"

I guess its not enough that I 'pay' by watching commercials on Hulu like I do on regular TV. I guess I need to pay into a cable or dish company too...

mpribe said:

Dish can complain all they want, but they may as well try and stop a freight train with their bare hands

gLitCh32 said:

grimm808 said:

Agreed! I hope it helps to lower the cost, but I doubt it. Somehow the TV industry continues to raise their rates, and as long as people keep paying for it, they'll keep going. I don't pay for TV service because it's just too much money! There's plenty of content online to keep me occupied.

vangrat said:

As all, by its very meaning, implies everyone, I would like to state my displeasure at the title of this article. It should rather say, "Open to Everyone in the United States." As all would mean, open to everyone in the whole world. As the United States is NOT everyone, and therefore all cannot be said to be inclusive to this service.

pacostrano said:

Yes because we want to watch tv show anytime that we want to and in 2010 streaming is only starting.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Offer better packages then Mr Eisen, lack of competition keeps driving up prices in television and consumers have few options. Streaming services are the logical evolution of bringing content from the creators to the consumers and people are starting to realize this. Either evolve out of a middle-man role or fight it till you go the way of the dinosaur. Then again I don't think Hulu is the real streaming service you should worry about considering they cave to the slightest pressure.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ChrisG683 said:

I went to Hulu once, only found 30 second clips of shows, and never came back. Noone I know even speaks of Hulu. What is the big deal?

matrix86 matrix86 said:

ChrisG683 said:

You didn't look really hard if you only found 30 second clips of shows. The homepage is really all that is, but there are a lot of shows and movies (older movies) on there.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Boohoo Mr Eisen, go spend a weekend on your yacht with the record executives if you want some sympathy. I really hope this type of service becomes common and hits Comcast, Verizon, etc where it hurts.

compu4 said:

Good. This should reduce my costs greatly. I don't watch most of my cable channels anyways. I only wish that Hulu would expand its selection to include shows that are not on the major networks.

IAMTHESTIG said:

How is having new TV shows being on Hulu shortly after airing bad for the TV industry? Can someone explain this better? I don't understand how these paid subscription based online streaming services really work, but don't they pay the company each time one of their TV shows is watched? I would think they have some sort of deal to pay the companies making and releasing these TV shows to public TV networks. Say for example the TV show Family Guy is produced and paid for by Fox Broadcasting, wouldn't Hulu pay Fox a set amount for each viewing of one of the episodes?

This just doesn't make sense: "...have to pay a pay TV service - I think that's bad". What does that mean? People paying for cable, satellite TV services? What about free over-the-air TV? With Hulu people are still paying. How is paying Hulu not paying for the TV show?

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

YES! This has awesome written all over it. I loved hulu on the PC... I'll love it even more on the PS3.

Jetatt23 said:

This is an excellent idea, and as many others are saying it's Dishes fault for not innovating a rivaling product to compete with Hulu Plus. DVRs, in my limited experience, are a pain because you have to go through and select the shows that you want to record and then later decide what to delete to save space for newer shows coming out. Hulu gets rid of this problem by making everything available.

Just to balance the argument out, though, if TV executives choose not to come up with a solution to compete with hulu, will the networks eventually not get enough live views to continue to receive money from advertising, discontinuing programs? If this slippery slope argument happened, there would be no shows for Hulu to present because the networks have failed, leading to another possible bailout from Washington? Just a thought, looking forward to getting this on my PS3!

speeedy6 said:

Cable/Dish providers need to burn for all their greed. I never agreed with how they make tons of money off us and commercials...

If we only knew the numbers (perhaps that would make an interesting read)...

I'm sure the Internet will only take their place in due time but for now I hope they rot.

miska_man said:

As nice as it would be to have a super cheap subscription compared to dish/cable, I don't know if I would find it very easy to give up channel surfing. I guess I'll stick with the best of both worlds (minus HD) for now; UHF.

dlen said:

I hope that nobody will try to sue Hulu and this service will expand everywhere. We have similar situation with music industry where big music companies stick to old obsolete CDs with complete albums and don't see that people don't want to buy disc, they rather want to go online and get one or two singles.

7410xas said:

pacostrano said:

and in hd :\

Has Dish completely lost its mind? Lemme get this straight. Consumers are going to shell out for a service that increases in price 10%/year just so they can watch Glee reruns?

techpoppin techpoppin said:

Hulu keeps on adding more and more commercials to their content. I remember the days when there was no commercials. Now i have to watch 4-6 in a 30 min show. ooooo advertising....

flocka said:

ChrisG683 said:

agreed, ill stick to my verizon FIOS for now...

TeamworkGuy2 said:

Innovation, it is never a smooth process...

I personally do not watch much TV, so I do not have a strong opinion, although Hulu sounds more flexible than a regular Cable or Dish subscription.

taea00 said:

Woohoo I'd rather take Hulu and Netflix for less than $20 a month than pay $50 for 500 channels I never watch.

I hope hulu and netflix get access to more media this way and TV dies a flaming death.

thedrelle said:

I don't think that Hulu is destroying the television industry, its merely restructuring it. Maybe dish will not survive it, but thats no reason to believe that its unhealthy for the entire industry.

Dish network is getting all uppity because they finally started making money when they rolled out Nag3 and they still cant get enough to fill their huge pockets.

Until the day when I can selectively pick out my channels like I order at mcdonalds and pay for a selection of my own based off of price per channel instead of per package I will watch my viewsat and pay 50$ a year to iks private servers and get all of their content that they are beaming down to me without ever paying them a single dime.

Cause who really wants to pay for a mexican potato peeling channel that they dont watch just to have G4 channel ripped from the lineup of few shows that make me want to watch tv anyway.

The dinosaurs will die with all of their greed and then we will have true open market without their high paid lobbyists sticking their nose in every little bit of entertainment media they can. /rant

Long Live The Pirates of The Industry and may they always remind us that if its for sale then its for free.

coolhandz84 said:

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love Hulu. I'm not sure if i will pay the $9.99 a month though for it. The reason why i enjoy it so much is that it is free. We'll see what happens after the change.

AbsolutGaloot said:

oh noes, live streaming services will end the world for tv! just like vhs killed the cinema, and mix tapes ruined music production. oh wait.

gobbybobby said:

Dish should get with the times. Its pretty poor they have not got a hulu like system, comparing it to Sky in the UK, you can get TV on demand, 1000s of programs, and watch live tv, and soon in HD. Does dish not have anything like that??

ryan29121 said:

New technology wins. If you cannot adapt to changing technology then you will be unsuccessful. Instead of getting mad at successful companies, go out and create some innovation in your products instead of complaining at others.

foxrox foxrox said:

Cable and satellite companies need to be very worried, or change their business model soon. They have already become irrelevant in our household. Netflix, Hulu and broadband internet access are all we need. My family has already agreed we are going to cancel our DirecTv subscription as soon as the agreement expires. More than 75% of our television time is spent online with the PS3 connected to the internet. We can get local channels for free with an antenna in the rare event that we decide to watch something different. And, there is more news than anyone can digest on the web. We will soon be empty nesters and then the landline will also go. Cellular and free voIP will do us just fine... we only have the landline phone for the kids.

" Fantastic! I'm all for shutting the cable companies down. Their quality & service is horrible and their prices are high."

Agreed - they are nothing else but greedy. Unfortunately that will just drive the CURRENT BEST broadband service price up. It will take a good nation-wide WiFi to take them out.

Billz

gobbybobby said:

''good nation-wide WiFi'' In the states? That would take alot of doing!

foxrox foxrox said:

''good nation-wide WiFi'' In the states? That would take alot of doing!

I totally agree with your comment about "good nation-wide WiFi". When you don't know what you're talking about, nothing is impossible.

I don't mind paying more to get more. I would prefer to pay an extra $20 a month for a very fast, reliable ISP that provides good service. Trouble is, a "good ISP" does not exist in many markets (including mine) due to a lack of competition and infrastructure. Example: In the two closest towns, which are actually smaller than my town and less than 5 miles away, Qwest offers 15mb DSL for less money than my 3mb DSL service with Verizon/Frontier. Qwest is "not allowed" to provide service in my town. The only other ISP is Charter (cable) and their prices are too high and both companies provide horrible customer service.

Hopefully, our government will not take over the internet like they are trying to do with healthcare and auto manufacturing. If it does, broadband will become an entitlement for every American and it will be mediocre quality for the masses.

jazboy said:

I guess NetFlix will be still my first choice over hulu.

foxrox foxrox said:

jazboy said:

I guess NetFlix will be still my first choice over hulu.

Same for me.

I cut the cord and the dish feed back in April. Have Netflix and Hulu plus. So happy I've saved nearly 7 months time $70 price diifference (Was paying $90 for dish) and that's what some $490.

Here's to now paying for what you don't actually watch anymore. OH I also use Boxee to find shows that are not on either.

ruzveh said:

Will it work here in India? Do they stream Indian channels? Let me know. Even if they charge $9 still its very expensive compared to half the price we pay here for all channels incl english and hindi