British Queen joins Facebook, but you can't poke her

By on November 8, 2010, 1:16 PM
Britain's Queen Elizabeth has joined Facebook, according to the The Guardian. Her majesty has thus added her presence to the world's most popular social network. Britain's royal family prides itself on keeping up to date with new technologies, but somehow we think only joining Facebook now means it isn't exactly on top of things. That being said, the Royal Family already has accounts on YouTube (uploaded a video in 2008), Twitter (tweeted first in 2009), and Flickr (posted photographs this year).

The British monarchy's Facebook Page won't let you friend the Queen or poke her, but you can use it to get updates on royal news and diary events. It went live earlier today and has already been liked by some 100,000 users, meaning they will receive updates on the royal family's activities in their Facebook News Feed. Users will also be able to follow the Family's official engagements via the wall of an affiliated Page, dubbed the Court Circular.

The Page, a collaborative effort between Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, and the Royal Collection, features news, links, videos, and photographs of various members (primarily Queen Elizabeth, as well as princes Charles, William, and Harry). Personal details such as relationship status, interests, or political views are not included.

So, will you like the British Monarchy on Facebook?

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

"Mugatu is so hot right now he could take a crap, wrap it in tinfoil, put a couple fish hooks on it and sell it to Queen Elizabeth as earrings."

Jibberish18 said:

I thought George Bush Jr. was hip for owning an iPad and actually using it to navigate websites but this? This is like trend setting hip. Yuppies should follow the British Monarch like they're giving out Yager Bombs at a swank bar.

Johny47 said:

It's about time. I'm sure the Royal Family is very rich, took someone this long to buy the Queen a laptop =P

omega00 said:

It's not any fun if you can't poke the Queen of England.

KG363 KG363 said:

Is the Queen friends with other monarchs?

good question!

whiteandnerdy said:

that's lame that you cant poke her or friend her

ALKING said:

if you cant be her friend or poke but just follow her updates then she should just stay on twitter

neowing said:

I am not sure this is good news or not; What I mean is the original post stated that

"meaning they will receive updates on the royal family's activities in their Facebook News Feed"

Aren't the royal family's activities (should be) private to hide in order to protect themself ?

sMILEY4ever said:

kg363 said:

Is the Queen friends with other monarchs?

I lold.

Anyways, I don't care she joined facebook, even though it's a bit weird for a queen to do that.

Jetatt23 said:

The real question is if the Queen is actually behind the wheel of the account, or if it's just marketing agents controlling things.

therickster90 said:

We are not amused.

blimp01 said:

i wonder who her friends are haha

vangrat said:

In other news, the Queen sneezed. Five servants handed her a tissue, and one threw it away.

Seriously...this is not news. I would say that I don't care, but by the fact that I am posting shows that I have a care of some sort. So as to keep from sounding like a hypocrit, I care very little about this.

Now, if she got a pre release copy of COD Black Ops, and started pwning some noobs...then we would have a story.

Having a Facebook account is about as exciting as ...well having a facebook account.

what a pile of poop

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Queen update, "I installed Empire: total war, set the difficulty to easy, selected Great Britain, and took over the world.. and had some tea."

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

What was the whole point of this again. You can't touch her(virtually that is.) Sounds like some mini marketing ploy to keep retard americans on facebook.

DokkRokken said:

supersmashbrada said:

Plenty of us in the Commonwealth are interested in what the royals do, especially for countries like mine, where they're our heads of state. Barack Obama and Nicolas Sarkozy have facebook pages, why not the Queen?

M1r said:

DokkRokken said:

Seriously? I mean, seriously? What good will you get? Gonna post on her pictures? Like her comments? See what country she's walking on with a dialysis?

M1r said:

Don't get me wrong, I live in the U.K - and to me. All these presidential pages are absolutely bullshit, ofcourse they'll post some speech that's been equipped with high vocabulary and emotion. But they ain't gonna say 'we're invading another country, stfu and pay taxes'.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Dokk I see your point, but although I voted for Obama doesn't meant I follow him on fb. I'm more worried about America trying to police the world more so than wth Obama had for dinner. I had this conversation with a friend of mine and I thought it lead to a sad conclusion. Lots of Euro's will lead on to this, and all the subsiderary(no spell check) countries beneath those will pay close attention. The number of Americans following Obama would be much lower I think, given an equal time frame.

A friend of mine and college buddy of 4 years said to me on msn "can't be the queen so lets follow her." Really made me think of one of the only reasons I like democracy over monarchy. At least I have a chance at the position. Maybe this is why we love super heroes so much. They're so far off from what we could be.

DokkRokken said:

M1r said:

Sure why not. People enjoy reading about it, so why not give it to them? I particularly don't, but why is it that someone like Tila Tequila is able to have a social media page (even making an entire career out of it), but a Head of State like the Queen gets they decide to get in on the craze?

M1r said:

I guess if you live in UK, you probably hear tons about what the Royal Family do, to the point of total saturation. But here in Canada, coverage is not as prevalent, so this Facebook page is great for anyone my way who wants to follow those people. Probably beats actually paying money for that lousy 'Hello' magazine anyways.

I'm not arguing that the pages aren't bullshit. But why the big deal? So the Queen has a Facebook page, big deal, so do people's dogs. Anyone expecting any substance from these pages whatsoever isn't terribly smart, because they're merely a PR exercise, although I'm sure inflections of policy or thought do appear from time to time.

hassaan said:

Britains Queen Elizabeth II has joined Facebook, launching a series of official pages offering the website's 500 million users daily updates on her engagements.

"God save the Queen". LOL

razzrap said:

in real life and in cyberlife, you can't really poke the queen. that would undermine respect.

bam13 said:

I'd like to see which pages she'll join...maybe will find out that queen likes marylin manson or dimmu borgir no seriously, this just marketing, nothing else

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder if we'll get any good gafs like from Charles or Phillip....Now that would be a reason to keep updated.

I doubt it though.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

hassaan said:

"God save the Queen". LOL

HAHAHA. Hilarious.

On another note, Terrorists need to get up on this facebook thing, they can totally plot their schemes more effectively with such an easy to use social network tool.

uttaradhaka said:

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a head ache for the royal family.

We all know that Facebook has a lot of things that are not going to be suitable for 'Royal' tastes..

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The Queen doesn't have any friends...

Puiu Puiu said:

They idea of very old people using facebook is amusing whenever i think about it but i'm sure the queen will not be the one to actually post there. And i'll also most likely forget about this in a day or 2 just because i'm not the the UK.

zogo said:

With these restrictions, whats the point to be part of facebook. You are not actually using facebook if the rules don't apply to you.

fritz123 said:

HAHA. i dont even think that the queen will be the one using the account. but its a good thing since people rely more and more on the internet for news instead of the newspaper and television. its a good way of sending out updates and a good way of filtering out the things they dont want to send out. sure, you cant friend her, dont you think she has too many friends already? HAHA

ravisunny2 ravisunny2, TS Ambassador, said:

Poke her, if you want a date with 007.

xcelofjkl said:

"Her Majesty likes this."