Marvell unveils quad-core ARM chip for enterprises

By on November 9, 2010, 12:44 PM
Marvell has announced a new system-on-chip (SoC) product, the first ARM-based solution designed for servers: the Armada XP (Extreme Performance). Aimed at enterprises, it features four Marvell-designed ARM v7 MP cores operating at 1.60GHz. The Armada XP will be on display at the ARM technology conference this week (November 9 to November 11, 2010) and is currently sampling to customers.

The Armada XP sports 2MB of L2 cache, supports 64-bit DDR3 memory interface with ECC at 800MHz clock rate, and "heterogeneous multiprocessing" (SMP/AMP/Mixed) with "hardware-based Cache Coherence." In addition, the SoC features quad x4 PCI Express interfaces, multiple USB ports, Gigabit Ethernet ports, SATA ports, and security features. Just like other ARM-based SoCs from Marvell, it features advanced power management technologies; the developer claims it can achieve 16,600DMIPS at less than 10W.

While it's no surprise that Marvel underlines the Armada XP is the fastest ARM processor available on the market today, ARM-based servers won't be gaining popularity very quickly given that they don't (yet?) support 64-bit capabilities and don't have compatible software for servers. To address the latter, Marvell is already offering a development platform, including software drivers and board support package, in order to get its customers to start system development for the Armada XP even before they get the hardware.

"Marvell's introduction of a powerful solution for enterprise-class cloud computing applications is a very important milestone in the mobile Internet revolutionócloud computing mobile servers like those powered by the ARMADA XP are the key link in what I envision to be a seamless, unified ecosystem of mobile connected devices, information appliances and smart 'furnishings,'" Weili Dai, Marvell's co-founder, said in a statement. "Marvell's leadership in mobility, consumer, storage, enterprise networking and Wi-Fi products completes the circuit, delivering a powerful end-to-end total solution to anyone connected to the new global mesh, from consumers to small business and the enterprise."

Cueto_99 said:

Woww, quadcore! Cool! Can't wait to have some of that power on my next cellphone just imagine the future where you could even overclock your cellphones... Yummy !!

TeamworkGuy2 said:

Heheheh, an overclocked cell phone! I pushed mine to 1.93 GHz without crashing, although the a full battery charge gets drained in about 35 minutes. LOL

Still, it is cool to see new developments in all directions, mobile, desktop, server, netbooks, and even cell phones.

Wait a sec... the article says:

NVM, this chip is for server environments.

Cueto_99 said:

Oopss... I relate Arm with low profile electronics... But true... This one's for servers LOL

bioflex said:

hehe.....i wonder if we really need quad core procs in our phones now, it not like the bettery side of our phones are improving that much too.

sMILEY4ever said:

Cueto_99 said:

Why would any1 overclock their cell? I wouldn't want to deplete it's battery faster.

Puiu Puiu said:

ARM lacks too much in the server department to be able to compete. I don't even know why they are putting so much effort there instead of the GMS market where they have a fighting chance. This just looks like a big waste of money from their part.

Cueto_99 said:

Sure, thinking ano 2010, overclocking your mobile CPU is totally a waste of battery life... but try to think 10 years ahead, we might even be able to build our own personalized cellphones (like Pcs, choosing between batteries, screens, cases, etc...), and having a solid mobile gaming scenario by then, with 3D and HD titles, someone might think it would be good to have an overclocking App for the hardcore gaming community! wait a minute... did I smoked something today... LOL

ruzveh said:

These days mobile chips have become more powerfull then my desktop config. :)

Leeky Leeky said:

These days mobile chips have become more powerfull then my desktop config.

I know, my HTC desire's 1GHz CPU clock speed is only 400MHz slower than my laptops CPU clock speed.... Thats nuts! lol.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have been looking for low powered procesors to mount a home server, but I dont want an atom for it... will have to keep looking have seen one another VIA, but never an ARM based.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder how this compares in performance with an Intel ship of the same power draw. Four cores at 1.6GHz at 10W sounds nice, but I'm sure the speed per GHz doesn't compare to modern day x86 CPU's (though might be comparable to the Atom).

Demons said:

The arm based processors have always been really good in my opinion. All of my old iPAQs have been arm processors and they always seemed to be the best in the market at the time. A low power quad core arm sounds really good!