Weekend Open Forum: Do you game on your cell phone?

By on November 12, 2010, 8:36 PM
Usually when you think of gaming, a tiny screen and cramped controls aren't the first things that come to mind. But in the last year or so smartphone gaming has really kicked off as they get more capable hardware and developers find creative ways to use touch interfaces. So much indeed that Apple's iOS devices alone have already surpassed the Sony PSP as a gaming platform in the U.S., according to a recent survey, while closing in on the DS.

Sure, you can't compare it to the gaming experience offered by PCs or consoles, but when you're just looking to kill a few minutes, nothing beats the convenience of firing up a 'casual' game on your cell phone. Not to mention that other portable platforms charge around $15 to $40 per game, when Apple's iPhone, Google's Android and other smartphones offer popular titles for $0.99 some are even free. We're also looking forward to seeing how well Windows Phone 7 devices integrate the Xbox experience.

So our question for you today is: Do you game on your cell phone? Be sure to share the games you enjoy playing and the platform you are running. Lately I've been playing Angry Birds and Cut the Rope on the iPhone both really addictive and I also fire up Flight Control or Sudoku from time to time.

posermobile89 said:

Cut the Rope is incredible (I beat it ), though I played on an iPod.

My modest cell phone doesnt have gaming abilities, but if it did, I'm sure I'd have a game or two, or ten

Chazz said:

I've yet to buy a smartphone. Maybe I'll dabble in this once I get a Android, Windows phone 7 smartphone but for now sudoku doesn't cut it.

lchu12 lchu12 said:

Yes I do. Currently playing Othello, Brick/Block Breaker, Midnight Pool.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Even before smartphones I used to game on my phone, but I tend to stick to the simpler puzzle type of games, even today on the iPhone. Think of Tetris, Sudoku or Bejeweled, definitely not a Doom port or anything close to that

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Playing games using the cramped keypads of cellphones is real hassle. I haven't tried touch screen phones yet but they're probably better in that respect. I hope that Microsoft at least tries to make Windows Phone 7 devices affordable. After all, they're really late to this party and you can't get mass market adoption if your products are expensive.

Cueto_99 said:

Yes, It has come to that... now that I have very little time left because of work and studies. Usually after lunch I play some soccer matches on the Iphone 4 which is fun and doesn't take too much time... of course on weekends, is PC time, and I dont play on the Iphone...

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

yes i do been playing tons of games on my moto droid that i proudly have OC to 1.2 GHz hehe

customcarvin customcarvin said:

YES! I have an Android device (Galaxy S) ....On my phone atm: Tiki Towers, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja - Emulators: NES, SNES, GameBoy, Genesis, PSX

I'm very interested in the PSP/Android device that was announced, hopefully the specs aren't final, and they release beefier hardware than what is rumored.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I used to play a version of Space Invades on my last work phone. Unfortunately it broke and my current one lacks any sort of games.

codefeenix codefeenix said:

My phone pretends its a smart phone. However its not very good at it, havent even tried to play any games on it.

DSparil said:

When the whole "Playing on the Cellphone" thing was new, I did.

It was only for a few days though since it was pointless to play when your out. Heck, gaming on a tiny screen was dumb. Eventually, I uninstalled every game.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I'm with Dsparil.

I don't anymore. I think I am one of the dieing few who just use their phone for texting and calling.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I don't own a cell phone, I barely game on my desktops, and I don't believe in Santa...BAH...HUMBUG...!

Jetatt23 said:

I have the original Droid, and I spend quite a lot of time playing games on it. I play Angry Birds, emulators for Genesis, SNES, and PS, and games by a company called Storm8. It's amazing the things that can be done with a phone these days.

Mushroom said:

I have an old phone so tetris would be all I could play...but I don't have it.

Zecias said:

klepto12 said:

y would u overclock yur phone o.O

most games are designed not to lag and OC will drain yur battery

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

When I have bit of time I try to play A5 on my cell but I always keep crashing into lamp posts, walls, railings etc. so I end up playing Paper Toss.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Duke Nukem 3D on my Nokia N82, runs Symbian v3

This game works great because if you are as old as me you will remember it has auto aim for up/down. (You control it via keyboard, not mouse when it was released in 1996).

Also the graphics look really good on the small screen with 320x240

I also have a SCUMM emulator on it, so I can play games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle & Sam & Max Hit the Road.

I also have Quake 1, 2 & 3 on it but that is mostly for show, it's not as fun since you need to aim up/down aswell...

My NES emulator is called GPFce.

I've also got Shadow Warrior on it, but have not been playing it so much yet. The other games above (except Quake) I've been playing quite allot.

Find it great when you are bored somewhere and want the time to go by

Oh, and all these ports are free, you need the original gamefiles of course, but the Symbian emulator/port software is free...

Some links;

ScummVM; http://www.scummvm.org/

Quake; http://koti.mbnet.fi/hinkka/

GPFce; http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36393

Duke3D; http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30784

Shadow Warrior; http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36469

blimp01 said:

I dont own a cell phone FTW

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I dont own a cell phone FTW
Wow, there's two of us...!

63Jax said:

a cell phone is a phone, i don't game, i don't surf the net, i don't watch movies, and all that shit, I JUST TALK, that's what a phone is suppose to do. these days every phone is doing everything but talk...

NeoFlux said:

Nesoid on my Tattoo satisfies my all mobile gaming needs.

Swanen said:

Only have Sudoko and Angry Birds on it right now.

Ssendi said:

Yah, my HTC hero does the all the gaming I need!!!!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

a cell phone is a phone, i don't game, i don't surf the net, i don't watch movies, and all that ****, I JUST TALK, that's what a phone is suppose to do. these days every phone is doing everything but talk...
How else do you think the phone companies are going to hose you out of 150 bucks a month?

Midgetmax Midgetmax said:

zecias said:

klepto12 said:

y would u overclock yur phone o.O

most games are designed not to lag and OC will drain yur battery

I too play games on my phone. Actually im addicted to Angry birds (pictured above). Also just started playing Legends which is an MMORPG. pretty fun and not too laggy, but it drains battery like none other.

But i also have my moto droid over clocked. I have a 1.2GHz kernel on it now, but throttle it down to 1GHz/600MHz(idle). I get better battery life than the stock 550MHz, which sounds like im lying, but before this i had to charge my phone every night where as now i can get more than 24 hours out of the battery casually using it. Also, you would think heat would be a factor as well, but im sitting at 28*C idle and i have seen it as high as 43*C under heavy heavy load. My phone benchmarks higher than most phones out even though its a year old. Im very impressed with what people can do on the android platform.

bam13 said:

Sure I do, iPhone is great gaming platform. Angry birds is an addiction!

Alster37 Alster37 said:

well for my htc legend there is a free gba emulator so I usually play some old gba titles.

Decimae said:

I play a bit of Angry Birds, Rush Hour clones, sokoban, papijump and Settlers of Catan on my G1. It unfortanately can't handle Angry Birds well, so I only see half of the textures; the rest is white and I need to guess what's there.

UT66 said:

never going to. i don't even use a phone.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

my phone is for talk not for games. my PC is for games and maybe talk too.

fritz123 said:

yeah phone gaming is usually casual. i just play on my phone while killing hours while in mass transportation. when at home i dont use it for gaming at all. id' rather fire up the xbox than having to play in a small screen.

edison5do said:

Nope. period. as simple as that

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes I play Solitaire, Freecell, Sudoku and Bejeweled =)

Chazz said:

captaincranky said:

I dont own a cell phone FTW
Wow, there's two of us...!

I was just forced to buy a cell phone last year, for the first time. There'd be three of you if i could stall my girlfriend any longer.

Afroaggie said:

The reason that I purchased an iPhone was so I could play card games and the like during commute to and from school, and don't worry I take the bus so I am not driving and gaming

Johny47 said:

No I don't, the only handheld gaming I do is with my PSP and that's very rare =/

It's going to be a WHILE before handheld gaming is as good and easy to play(all genres) as a console or desktop PC =/

surbey said:

I love the nod for Angry Birds. I REALLY love that game. I think I spend half my time on my Droid playing that game.

Anyone know of a PC version of that game?

nismo91 said:

about 4 years ago. lots of those java games. splinter cell was my favourite. now i listen to music more or browse the web more than playing games in phone.

hamitaltintop22 said:

I only play papi jump on my droid x. I mostly just surf the web with phone though. I didn't used to game on cell when I used to have a plain cell, but after I got a smartphone, cellphone games became a good time waster. However, I only do cellphone gaming when I am away from my pc.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've done Sudoku and other basic games on cell phones... But, I'm afraid that until battery efficiency gets much better, the "all in one" concept isn't of much use to me. I'm frequently away from any kind of charging for long periods, and I need my phone to be a phone first and foremost. Convergence is great, but my phone is vital for my work, so I can't change killing it by playing around. If I want gaming, I'll stick to a PSP or even an iPod.

If I can ever get a unit that will go 10+ hours of solid high performance gaming and/or good quality phone usage without dying, I'll consider changing my routine

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

yep Sudoko FTW! lol

Tanstar said:

No. Have to pay for a Net contract (extra $30 a month) on your phone to DL games or to have a smart phone, so no interest from me.

KG363 KG363 said:

I haven't since my snake on my mom's old nokia

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I play some free demos here and there, but only consistent time killer is Dope Wars.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Almost all smart phones support wi-fi/wlan etc. so you can find workarounds to cheaper data connectivity. Good thing I can simply turn on wi-fi as my cell supports direct wi-fi and just do whatever I need to do, without having to pay anything to service provider.

compu4 said:

No, I do not game on my cell phone. The phone is simply an inferior gaming platform; the experience simply can't compare with that of my PC or my PS3 console.

Serag said:

No smartphone yet, but I game a hell a lot on my Sony Ericsson w300, tetris, pacman, centipede and all the old school goodies, very small screen "128x160" but it does well on passing time

Yad Yad said:

I do on my new iphone 4

peterbezemer said:

My phone (not a smart one) has only 2 games, and i don't use them...