Microsoft attacks Apple for not having Blu-ray, again

By on November 12, 2010, 8:18 PM
Over on the official Windows Video YouTube channel, Microsoft has posted a new PC and Mac advertisement. The rather poorly chosen title, "PC & Mac take flight -- Avatar & Windows 7," doesn't show it, but Microsoft is attacking Apple for not supporting Blu-ray in its computers. The video's description is a little more helpful: "See how PC & Mac stay entertained on a long flight together with the help of Blu-Ray on Windows 7 and Avatar."

While Microsoft isn't exactly blowing our minds away with its tactic to point out that Macs aren't very versatile, we do admit that the ad is actually cute and well executed. That said, we think that Microsoft should highlight one of many Windows 7 features in its ads instead, especially given the fact that Blu-ray is hardly a game changer.

The first time Microsoft attacked Apple for not having Blu-ray was way back in April 2009, though it was much more subtle. That was around the same time that Microsoft started denying rumors that the Xbox 360 would start supporting Blu-ray.

Still, even three months ago, Redmond mocked Cupertino on its Windows 7 website. "PCs running Windows 7 often come with features that either aren't available or don’t come pre-installed on even the highest end Macs, including Blu-ray, eSATA, multi-format card readers, touch screens, and mobile broadband support."

princeton princeton said:

Funny. I though MS said blu ray would die off.

Chazz said:

I love the subtlety of the myriad of insults they throw at the mac besides blu ray playback

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

princeton said:

Funny. I though MS said blu ray would die off.

^This.

I knew Microsoft was a great company that was simply run by stupid people, but I didn't know they were such hypocrites.

Call me when you can watch Avatar in all of its 3D, Blu-ray glory on your Xbox 360...

Chazz said:

^

Really, understand that the 360 and PC are totally different things. Please.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Chazz said:

^

Really, understand that the 360 and PC are totally different things. Please.

I'm not sure I follow...

Chazz said:

Microsoft was commenting on Blu Ray as a delivery format for their video games, videos on the XBOX 360 system. Taking what they said without context and without understanding their views(even, if misguided for that platform) is rather harsh. Especially calling them names for it.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Chazz said:

That's incorrect.

Microsoft didn't talk negatively about Blu-ray specifically concerning its consoles. Microsoft stated that the format itself would have a slow death on the market. Of course, such statement, among other things, was made to clear things up about the rumour of the Xbox 360 possibly having Blu-ray support, but the statement itself wasn't about it not being an useful format on its console, but about how the company sees the format's downfall because of other technologies/factors.

"I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a FORMAT,"

You can read the rest here: [link]

Don't say that because of the pricing and other factors, that the format will be slowly die, and then make ads using the same very format as a way to demonstrate how your product is superior to your competitor's. That's not good.

Chazz said:

"Do you feel that the DVD format is holding the Xbox 360 back in terms of its lifespan?"..

That's the question he was asked. And the answer pertains to that. The xbox 360 was low(whereas PS3 was high). DLC has taken off greatly, and now all consoles offer streaming.

Even sony is VERY interested in delivering games via download only. Blu ray, is not needed for the 360 continued success and he listed the reasons. They don't see a reason for Blu ray( ya, as a format...for the 360. Read the name of the website conducting this interview.). I completely disagree, as I stated in that very link. Video games need formats like Blu Ray, but I'm not gonna badger Microsoft for having a different PoV.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I still find it funny that MS said that Blu-ray was going to die out. How can it possibly die out when future data will require more space than a 8.5gb dual-layer DVD? Hypocrites I tells ya.

255juan said:

Microsoft should just butt off!!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Chazz said:

Ok, fair enough. I stand corrected. But I will tell you this, and its common knowledge:

Everybody knows Microsoft has always been against Blu-ray due to its fight in the console market with Sony. It's hard to adopt a format from the company that makes the competitor to the very product you're trying to add that format to.

You can't seriously believe Microsoft considers Blu-ray a "dying" format... for its console, do you?

Blu-ray is slowly becoming the standard, and that's a fact. It's much harder to make streaming media appeal to the mainstream because not everybody can watch a 1080p movie with their current connection. Blu-ray, as a hard format, is able to overcome this by using the Blu-ray players. No Internet, no lag.

Of course, both technologies have their pros and cons, but in a era where Blu-ray is being released for every movie, and where Blu-ray players are as inexpensive as they'll get, Blu-ray is definitely the best choice. MS knows this, but as I stated on my second paragraph, it's simply hard for them to do/admit.

Chazz said:

I think it's retarded that they won't cave in and use Blu Ray for the xbox. Games really need space to grow into. I like how games at launch of the PSone and PS2 grew substantially in quality,size and looks. I was very disappointed when Microsoft first announced they would use HD-DVD..and am still sad about that. I thiink games would be in a better state right now had they gone for Blu Ray.

But, I also understand that they were talking about their xbox platform. Despite what they've recently said..I have no faith in their support for gaming on the PC until they show me otherwise.

maestromasada said:

what's the Co2 cost of producing a blu-ray disc? somebody please shed some light

customcarvin customcarvin said:

GOOD... Microsoft has some catching up to do from all those 'tarded "Apple vs PC" commercials ...It's time for that 40-year old virgin to "kick @$$ and chew bubble gum"... and I'm pretty sure he's all outta gum.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think the point here is choice. If you don't want to watch BluRay movies on your Mac that's fine, as long as that's a choice you have.

You can talk about whatever current catchphrases you want, but at the end of the day some guy in a turtle neck decided that you're not going to watch those disks on your Mac. I'd rather have whatever problems a Windows PC has over having someone else decide what I can do with my computer.

fritz123 said:

blu ray isnt really a dying format. the way i see it it gets more and more popular each day. with more and more media set into blu-ray disks, prices will eventually get a lot cheaper. it was bad for the xbox not having bluray support in the first place. it sucks to change disks every now and then. now its attacking apple for not supporting blu-ray. ms is bipolar i tell ya. hahaha

bam13 said:

I think that all the concepts and formats using discs as primary medium are already dead. This isnÂ't the future! Look what happened to CDs, DVDs...Blueray wonÂ't even get to that level of popularity. SSD cards are the medium of the future in my opinion.

Decimae said:

I think microsoft needs to get their facts straight.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=external blu ray mac

flacoman3 said:

You can't give microsoft the stink eye for apple-bashing. Doesn't anyone remember the I'm a Mac commercials? Where they highlighted such points as "look! pc's get viruses and macs don't!"

If apple rises to the market share of MS (they might in the kind-of-distant future), they will feel the burning heat of malicious code writers everywhere that never bothered to write for macs til then.

and @ Decimae I think the whole point was that it isn't an external blu-ray. If you want to go on plane rides with your external bluray drive, that's cool.

I say everyone should just float their own boat, and don't sink others' just because they're floating in a different way.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

General people tend to see things the way they want them to be; hence such targeted comments and nit-picking about who said what and in which context; as such they may loose objectivity in whatever they are saying.

Anyway, having said that, I would add one bit, I don't believe blue ray will last as long as VHS did.

Johny47 said:

This seems funny, because Microsoft and Sony are in a big competition with each other with their games consoles and Microsoft supporting Blu-ray is strange, nice but strange.

And Macs don't have blu ray support yet? where have apple been? =P

surbey said:

You have to love Microsoft. Their ugly horse, HD DVD died off and now they attempt to smash other organizations for not backing a horse they didn't back themselves.

Microsoft could say alot about Apple to distinguish the brands. Application availability, ease of management, and customization are all smart issues to point out. Blueray is a stupid one.

the only reason a 360 isnt a "pc" is because ****ing ****** and thier software restrictions

no blue ray on 360 isnt holding it back cuz who needs 25gb worth of game when there not even any quality in 4gb..

xbox games have always sucked and only reason to have a xbox 1 was for modification but if only interested in games developed for a particular platform than playstation or nintendo WAY better since they got more japanese games and those always the best..

EA can suck a **** but im sure they do already just for licensing and ****

Puiu Puiu said:

Apple needs to get blue-ray support just to shut microsoft's big mouth, but it's not like windows 7 is not a product you'd want to brag about. I have have it on both of my laptops and just works great.

compu4 said:

flacoman3 said:

That's not the worst example. I remember ads on Apple's website that stated that the processor was doing more inside a Mac than it was inside a PC, and commercials that stated Windows Vista was buggier than a mac (without listing specifics).

At least Microsoft is finally fighting back.

Decimae said:

I'm not a mac user, but an external drive seems to be an as good option as an internal. Less then 5%(yes, I calculated it) of the laptops being sold in my country have an internal blu-ray drive, and an external blu ray drive won't take much space.

But really, what microsoft is advertising here: "Pcs can do blu ray and macs can't!", which isn't true.

MrAnderson said:

That was funny. I totally did not expect that. I think it is only fear game since Apple was directing negative attention toward the PC. Most of those Mac and PC comercials were half truths. At least the windows comercials are really direct and hits them where they have been hard pressed to stay.

In other words Apple does intentionally keep their prices up there in spite of the actual technology being less that what PCs offer. But we get that Apple products cost more because they are designed to have a potent user experience that costs money. Nevertheless, its only fair the MS throws out their own spin. Or Apple not wanting to invest in including Blu-ray (probably spinning against it just as hard as MS and their Xbox), but that does not stop MS spinning their lack of support as a bad thing. I'm sure apple does not want to hurt their profit margin and raise the price even higher for blu-ray drives. But the truth is, it is not just about selling HD movies. It also is about giving users options for larger capacity storage devices. But the Kicker is that Apple products being the digital artist friend and all, and they are not allowing their creative users to author on one of the latest technologies. How longer are they planning to hold out, I'm sure we will see it in a refresh of hardware at some point.

I just like that the tables have turned a little. Apple should not dish it and same goes to Mac users. IMHO, don't get high and mighty when doing dirt, then get "uppity" when mud is slug at your camp.

I use a PC more than Apple computers, but I use each in sutuations I prefer and that is what it comes down to, what you feel comfortable using. Don't throw egg if you really don't want yoke in the face.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lol M$ makes me laugh at how they say one thing but mean another hmmm facts aren't right here M$ lets see where your going with this first you said that blue ray was a fad now its something you like wow can u say hypocrite lol

alexandrionel said:

Really nice video.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Chazz said:

^

Really, understand that the 360 and PC are totally different things. Please.

It's all well and good to bag the opposition if they don't support a widely accepted platform but MS isn't widely accepting the platform themselves. If the 360 supported blu-ray, that would be a massive market segment. What percentage of the PC market HAS a blu-ray player even?

3.6% of PCs in 2009 shipped with Blu-ray drives. Adoption expected to reach 16.3% in 2013. Pretty pathetic support really... so in 2+ years, we will still have practically no significant market of PCs with blu-ray drives.

[link]

codefeenix codefeenix said:

Still waiting for Windows to be able to play Blu-ray movies out of the box.

I cant stand powerDVD.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

255juan said:

Microsoft should just butt off!!

How disgusting! Your fanboy is showing.

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I find it funny how it says "and DVD" at the end. Cool video though.

Uvindu said:

Its wars again! Didn't Microsoft say that they will not support blu-ray on their X-Boxes because they don't think that the technology will catch on. Why are they tormenting Mac, and why on earth really, does mac not support blu-ray. I think it will probably catch on, and Mac better not be late to get in with blu-ray drives or they could be losing market share.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

all this is called business & competition. I LOLed at the fact that MS would criticize another company for what it did in the 1st place. After all we all know that apple doesn't really love standard common things.

In the end, who wins - CUSTOMERS

I play on PC & PS3 but would also love to have a MAC for other things ... so i will be happy with each & every company.

cheers!

thedrelle said:

Uvindu said:

That was a bit different. Microsoft was not invested as heavily in the HD-DVD as Sony was with Blue-ray. Sony was involved in the CREATION of the Blue-ray technology, and with the billions they had invested, they fought tooth and nail for it to win.

Microsoft took the safe route by supporting the HD-DVD player, expecting it to win the media war. They only did that as an add-on, so it didn't hinder Xbox sales at all. good business sense, there.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That was by far one of the oddest commercials I've ever seen.

MrAnderson said:

...I'm sure we might see blue-ray devices for the Xbox sooner or later, if Microsoft can get Sony to let them.

I don't think that is an issue here. Sony would not stop them. Also people are confusing MS Xbox and Windows platforms. They are choosing what is best for the other. Sure a comment can be taken generally, but MS does not have control what devices are made for the PC.

Moreover, not supporting Blu-ray on a platform (PC and Windows) that is supposed to be open and well... Blu-ray does have to get authored somewhere right? That is so we can actually have retail blu-ray movies right. It would be counter intiutive for them to block it from Windows... actually it would be more costly. Apple makes their hardware so it is much easier to say nay to blu-ray.

It is probably true, blu-ray will have a shorter shelf life than DVD. But it still is a draw for people that purchased the player and the PS3. Xbox would not gain much to add it. The point is we are not talking about xbox. It is about PC and Mac, not game consoles.

spyx said:

This is sweet, personally i have this thing for Microsoft so I kinda hate apple an all they do, but yea this is pretty good point however i wont be surprised is Apple comes up with some new disc patents it as always and it turns out to be better than blu ray, Glad Microsoft is really doing something, but im surprised there commercials usually suck this is pretty good

MrAnderson said:

There are already technologies that have greater capacity than Blu-ray even updated versions of blu-ray are coming out that provide more capacity and break compatability with current hardware.

The point is blu-ray is in production and movie companies are not going to make any major shift when they have just started building momentum given the current investment.

Sure apple can come up with a new format, but they still will not be giving their consumers a choice. And that is basically what Windows and the PC is doing. Weather Apple believes Blu-ray will die or not, they are not allowing their customers access to a legitimate business segment in the media industry. And well MS is using that against them.

IkarugaShiver said:

Liked the style of the vid... Honestly though, I didn't feel like MS had to do this. We already have our own thoughts about which OS is better... xP

DSparil said:

Pot calling the kettle black, anyone?

I can't see their Xbox 360 having blu-ray.

Sony's the only one who has the right to attack Apple for not having blu-ray. Then again, Sony wouldn't care anyway if they're still using cds.

I guess MS cares.

buttus said:

That is funny. MS said that HD was the format and had the add on for the Xbox...but then when Sony won the format war and MS was asked if they would be putting Bluray into the XBox, they said there was no need to. Now they are ripping Apple for not having it? Talking out both sides of their face on this one.

Think you guys are missing alot of intelligence. The HD dvd and Blu-ray wars are over Blu-ray has won. MS is obviously catching up with the market standard while Mac is refusing to acknowledge it. The advert is just there attempt at making a pointless unnesscery attempt at redoing the mac vs pc ads what were pointless. The OS and the consol markets are different so one company like Sony couldn't give a rats butt if MS put blu-ray support on Windows because its a different market and will likely have terms and conditions to insure I a restraining of a technology move to the Xbox.

I'm sure that most of these posts are Mac users and all I can say is grow up, Microsoft is now why can't you?