Dell's hybrid netbook-tablet coming next week?

By on November 16, 2010, 10:00 AM
Dell caught some headlines recently with its Inspiron Duo, a hybrid tablet that flips open to become a netbook. That in itself is nothing new, as manufacturers have been selling convertible notebook/tablet devices for a while. But rather than mounting the entire display with a horizontally rotating hinge, the Duo’s screen flips vertically inside the bezel to switch between tablet or netbook modes. A teaser video released earlier this month left us with a vague “coming soon” promise, but if CNet’s sources are on the spot then the Windows 7-powered could launch as soon as next week.

The Inspiron Duo features a dual-core Intel Atom N550 processor, Windows 7 Home Premium, 10-inch touch screen display and presumably includes various applications designed specifically for multi-touch input. The hybrid device is reportedly as much about productivity as media consumption so you won’t have to compromise one in favor of the other. No mention of pricing was made but it looks like we’ll find out about that soon enough.

princeton princeton said:

I'm waiting for a plethora of reports from retards who break the hinges that allow the screen to flip.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Same

whiteandnerdy said:

I think it is a cool new take on how to convert it into a tablet. I would get one if it gets good reviews and is worth the money

it won't take anybody of lesser intelect - just let my cat at it & he'll have it spinning in no time !

(but then he is a 15lb 3'6" maine coon :-) )

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

it all boils down to performance. Once about six websites dissect it I'll make my decision.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

(but then he is a 15lb 3'6" maine coon :-) )

ROFL - that is a beast!

taea00 said:

gwailo247 said:

I agree, but I think this could be a device that bridges the gaps. Most tablets are terrible for typing anything on, while laptops and netbooks take up a bit more desk real estate. This could be a really decent go between, but I'm interested as well in hearing how it performs first.

Also as was pointed out, I give it 3 hours after release before there's a youtube video of someone busting this thing.

Looks like more than 50% of the screen real-estate is Bevel. I would not be able to hour after hour look at all that useless wasted space and feel happy about my purchase.

Less bevel and more power, she cried!

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Less bevel and more power, she cried!

I'm constantly amazed at how many people complain about the bezel size. If you've ever used a touch-based tablet, you'd understand WHY the bezel is that big - you need somewhere to hold the thing while using it, without creating false inputs. Pen input tablets don't need the bezel, but if this is touch (and particularly multi-touch) input, you'd be cursing the lack of bezel after about 5 minutes of use.

Look at the iPad's bezel... It's massive, but you don't hear everyone screaming and complaining about how much "wasted space" there is. It's not a waste if it's got a reason for being there.

vangrat said:

Dammit Vrmithrax, you beat me to the punch. I was going to go off on a three page rant about how the thumb is roughly an inch wide, hence the bezel blah blah blah, for like five pages...but noooo you had to make it all short, sweet, and to the point. Blast you and your concise writing!...