Weekend game deals: Pre-Black Friday sales unleashed

By on November 19, 2010, 3:30 PM
We're just a week away from Black Friday and things are finally starting to heat up. Impulse has cut prices on well over a dozen titles including C&C 4, The Settlers 7, both S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, Dark Void, and Star Trek Online, while EA has reduced Crysis, Mercenaries 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor, and the Saboteur. Direct2Drive offers GTA IV: Complete Edition for $9.95, Microsoft has slashed 50% and 80% off Bioshock 2 and Saints Row 2, and GOG's entire catalog of Ubisoft titles is 30% to 50% off.

Steam
Sniper: Ghost Warrior $14.99 (50% off)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Map Pack $2.49 (50% off)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings preorder $44.99 (10% off)

Impulse

Saints Row 2 $5.99

Good Old Games
30% to 50% off all Ubisoft games

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

The GTA IV collection seems like a good buy

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hate game for windows offers, they kind of suck after you see Steams for example.

treeski treeski said:

I have to be honest here, I can't really recommend any of the games being offered, except Bioshock 2. I hope next Friday's deals are muuuuuch better!

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

:P I think Microsoft generally offers decent deals, and I personally believe their offers this week are better than Steam's.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I will be getting The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings next week.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dustin_ds3000 said:

I will be getting The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings next week.

Says May 2011. Are you hacking into a server somewhere in Poland? =)

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can anyone recommend me the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle? Or any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games for that matter?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes Matthews, but from what I have seen they always put the same games on offer (Which is not actually bad if you missed an offer before) after steam does and with a lower discount (By this I mean the suck thing).

gobbybobby said:

Matthew said:

WHAT this is a joke right?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It's not for everyone, but I had a lot of fun with Space Rangers 2. It has a little something of everything in it - shooter, strategy, puzzles, RTS, etc.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Steams deals are underwhelming this week, but I'm guessing they are saving up the good stuff for next week . Impulse on the other hand has some good discounts.

And I recommend Bad Company 2 to any shooter fan out there that hasn't tried it already, a lot of fun in multiplayer depending on the server and a mini expansion is on its way.

@lawfer The Bundle only includes Shadows of Chernobyl (first game) and Call of Pripyat (third game but story wise is a sequel to SoC). The STALKER series especially with the Complete Mods are a lot of fun imo. Game play wise it's a shooter with RPG elements/customization, and for $10 bucks is well worth it.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

gobbybobby said:

Matthew said:

WHAT this is a joke right?

No, it isn't a joke. Microsoft often offers very respectable discounts on popular titles and its sale on Bioshock this week is, in my opinion, better than Steam's 50% off Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

PinothyJ said:

lawfer said:

Firstly, love how everyone just pretend that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky just doesn't exist :P. And secondly, they are AMAZING. Of course, they are great by themselves, but they are orgasmically amazing coupled with the 'Complete' series of mods.

If you haven't played 2007's most immersive and atmospheric shooter, or you're back for replay, this mod is for you. This is the world of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like you've never seen before, with updated graphics and added functionality that don't change the original story or gameplay. The game hasn't been changed beyond recognition, but rather enhanced while preserving the core elements that made it the unique experience it is.

What makes this mod different?

It was designed by professional graphic artists with rich experience in the field, following industry standards for creating interactive 3D environments. It features artistic works and modifications from many community members unified under one art direction. The game has been redesigned with new visual qualities, and is offered as one convenient, complete package to reach a user base beyond the modding community. This mod has been created with a thought of bringing the beautiful and immersive game of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl from the previous generation when it was created to an up-to-date experience you'd expect from games currently being developed.

Call of Pripyat Complete will be coming out soon, as well as the sequel to STALKER Complete 2009 (dubbed 2012) so it's an exciting time to get hooked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Here is a link to the ModDB page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Associated Steam group: [link]

I hope to see you in the zone soon...

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Pinothyj said:

lawfer said:

What makes this mod different?

Associated Steam group: [link]

I hope to see you in the zone soon...

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me which is the best game of the series? I always wanted to get into S.T.A.L.K.E.R but never seemed to be able to. Now seems like a good chance.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Are there any limitations on the EA store sales? I'm in AU, and this is the second time I've wanted to get a sale-game, but the price when clicking link (and using download manager) isn't discounted.

PinothyJ said:

lawfer said:

I have some information that may well be of use to you, stalker...

That's a tough one. See as the series progressed everything from gameplay to AI got better and better, but with that being said, Shadow of Chernobyl is still a great game even with the years that have passed it by. I haven't played Call of Pripyat yet though because I, like so many others, are waiting until Call of Pripyat Complete is released by Artistpavel (sad, I know). I even have the special edition version (it hasn't left it's shiny metal case as of yet).

But from what I have learnt from the series' wiki (I spend a lot of time editting and being a general wiki nerd on there) any balance issues have definitely been sorted in CoP and it seems to have a lot more variety (not to say that the other two games didn't, that is).

...

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The Witcher 2 is a better buy at GOG than at Steam. Same edition, same price, but you also get a free older RPG and a free PDF artbook. Plus no DRM. See here: http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2_preorder/

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Only game I've been temped to buy on these sales is GalCiv I for $0.99 at Impulse. That's for nostalgia, since I owned the original on OS/2. However, given that I didn't play it much on OS/2, nor played GalCiv II for Windows, which I own, I guess it'd be a waste of money.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Damn I want Splinter Cell Conviction for $15.... I tried it on my friends XBOX and I didn't care for the lack of oldschool SC stuff like sticky cams, electrostatic vision, etc... Not to mention the black and white for being in the shadows was annoying as well. Why do I want to play a game in black and white the whole time? Needless to say these things mean I don't think it is worth $50... so i'll wait.

I would love to get Mafia II for about $30... looks like an awesome game but haven't got the guts to buy it. I tried the demo but I don't think my PC is powerful enough to handle the game all that well. Still got a Athlon X2 6000+ with a GF 9800 GTX+, which I don't think is going to cut it for my 1920x1080 res that I play at.

Oh well... good deals though. Although I already got GTA4 for $7.50 on Steam about a year ago... That was an AWESOME DEAL! And GTA4 is an AWESOME game! I played it full, twice... I would pay full price for that game, it's just that damn fun!

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Bioshock (the first one) is available on Games for Windows for $1.99

[link]

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I would buy it but no multiplayer =( I rather play minesweeper.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is $59.99 at the site the link directs me to... not $14.96. Typo?

Zecias said:

[link]

bioshock for $2 [sale ended D: now $ 20 again]

[link]

age of empires 3 for 10 cents y not buy it? o.O

edit:

[link]

Fallout New Vegas Digital Collector's Edition (PC) for $34.95 - 15% code LOAD15 = $29.71

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Age of Empires 3 for 10 cents? Holy mother #%$@...

Thanks for the heads-up!

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Just going to post about Age of Empires but I see it's been posted. .10 is just crazy.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

@Guest BFBC2 is indeed $15 bucks, I'm assuming since you can't see it it's likely a regional lock =/ .

@zecias The Bioshock deals at least for me are both regular price . However AoE3 is 10 which is unreal. Wouldn't processing the payment cost them more? Oh well I might get it, even though I'm not a huge AoE fan.

Zecias said:

it was $2 yesterday >.>

Mischief007 said:

Saboteur is tempting at $11. One of the few games I actually enjoy. Might have to use my $20 voucher from EA.