Rumor: Nvidia delays dual-GPU GTX 590 to beat Antilles

By on November 19, 2010, 5:23 PM
With AMD's flagship single-GPU Radeon HD 6950 and 6970 cards due arrive sometime this quarter, one has to expect that Nvidia is preparing a new premium offering -- and one would be right, says Fudzilla. The GeForce-maker is readying a graphics card (possibly branded the GTX 590) with two GF110 GPUs strapped onboard, and it could appear "very soon."

According to unnamed sources, Nvidia partners are practically ready to roll, and the company could launch its dual-GPU product before the end of 2010. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen. Word has it that Nvidia is waiting for AMD to ship its dual-chip solution, the Radeon HD 6990 (codenamed Antilles), which is on track for the first quarter of next year.

Nvidia currently holds the crown for single-GPU performance with its GeForce GTX 580, and it seems the company wants to ensure a dominate position in the dual-GPU market as well. By delaying the GTX 590 until after the Radeon HD 6990 arrives, it's suggested that Nvidia will have an opportunity tweak its contender before shoving it into the ring.

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

lol i wonder how big the price tag will be xD

$700+ is my guess, let's hope the performance is so insane we cant comprehend it! ZOMGGGGG 150fps in Crysis! lol

They should release a overclocked dual gtx 460 card at a good price and everyone will forget about ati....eeehhr....amd....radeon.... :-S

jonelsorel said:

Is that the same strategy nVidia used with the 480 too?

princeton princeton said:

I'll call it ATi until my death! On another note this is great! The last dual gpu solution nvidia had was the GTX 295 and it dominated the competition for a while, which in turn drove down prices with the ATi cards battling. Hopefully we see the same. More gpu for me, less money for them, I'm cool with that!

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Ahaha, On the other hand it could be that Nvidia is afraid of getting pwnt by the 6990 since its pretty much in the dark, so they wanna take every opportunity they can to be on top of ATi on this one...

Thing is that if the difference is major, can a few "Tweaks" really save them?

BMfan BMfan said:

Can't wait to see how much power it needs to run,which i now wont be a problem for nvidia because most people don't care how efficient there card is as long as it has an n at the start of the name.

IAMTHESTIG said:

My 3DFX Voodoo 5 card is still king...

Johny47 said:

The price of these will probably be sky high as they say =/

But the performance for this dual card and the next AMD dual card will at long last make Crysis crumble even at extreme resolutions etc haha =P

And just imagine two of these in... quad sli/crossfire =D

fpsgamerJR62 said:

For the price of a GTX 590, one could probably buy a pretty decent gaming PC or maybe 3 or 4 upper midrange video cards. However, the satisfaction that a gamer gets from running one of these monsters in his rig is something that can never be quantified and very seldom be fully expressed in words.

edison5do said:

hamsteyr said:

That has always benn their strategy, they never launch their line up before, they did it with GTX 580, and look how ATI delay the 6950 and 6970, Im sure they are making tweks and fixing it so they beat the GTX 580, and Nvidia is doing the same with this one.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

That will be quite a card, 2 x GTX 580. Even with the GTX 580's new power consumption figures, two of them on one card will be a new record in power draw. Performance will be way, way, way up there, along with the price. Probably cheaper and more efficient to use a few mid range cards in crossfire/SLI.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Not likely to be a GTX 580. Probably a (very) few very well binned ( low voltage, high clock) GTX 570's (if GF110 based) or GTX 560's (if GF114 based).

Downclocking two 244w TDP part's to 150w each (necessary to meet the 300w PCI specification) would rob them of too much performance needed to be competitive with a dual Cayman-or Barts for that matter.

That card is also going to need a fairly elaborate backplate since twelve of the VRAM chips will need to be located on the reverse side judging by the picture.

Actually a GTX570 sounds delicious.

If it's almost the performance of a GTX480 but the price of a GTX470, I'm sold!

I do agree!!

Personally I'm waiting to get a 470 for Christmas, but if the 570 is released and is better performance for the money, then I guess I'll go with that.

What do you guy's think?

cheaper 470 (maybe two if the prices fall even more)

or newer 570 when it comes out...?

My current build:

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 3.62Ghz

8 GB's Patriot Viper Series DDR2 1066Mhz

ATi Radeon 5770

Zotac nForce SLI AM2+ MoBo

yeah...ummm... for the price.... ill just stick with what i got, every time a new card is released were looking to spend an arm and maybe half your leg, and by the time most of us entry level gamers are able to afford such a nice piece of equipment (after they dropped the price) new stuff is on the market. i just built my rig and have to say, for the parts vs. performance vs. price i will be using this for a while.

Asus Sabertooth X58

Muskin 12gb 3x4gb ddr3 @1033Mhz

RAID 5 447.9gb Volume (4drives)

2x PNY GTX 260 SLI

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.6ghz

RealXboxMaster said:

I just dont get the point on why would anyone spend sooo much money on a video crd just so they can play a game in higher resolution. I'll take a 360 + PS3 + somes games (that DON'T need updated drivers like pc video crd do) + accessories for the same cost of a high end video graphics crd.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

They pay the money for bragging rights mostly, or maybe for just the versatility of a pc compared to your console.

RealXboxMaster said:

My NEW rig

1. Asus Crosshaire Formula MB - [link]

2. G-Skill RipJaw DD3 @ 1800OC Mhz / 8GB

3. 1GB Sapphire HD5770 Flex GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express / 4 monitor support right at of the box. ( and guess how much I paid for it? $130

Main Features

* Support ATI Avivo HD Technology

* Support ATI PowerPlay Technology

* Support ATI CrossFireX Multi-GPU Technology

* Support Microsoft DirectX 11, Shader Model 5.0 and OpenGL 3.2

CM Master Storm case - [link]

CM 700w Silent Pro Powersupply - [link]

Gigabyte G-Power Cooler -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683512
022&cm_re=gh-psu23-pb-_-35-128-022-_-Product

AMD Hex core cpu - [link]

RealXboxMaster said:

supersmashbrada said:

True

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

You lost me there, is this bragging rights?

RealXboxMaster said:

* Support ATI CrossFireX Multi-GPU Technology

* Support Microsoft DirectX 11, Shader Model 5.0 and OpenGL 3.2

CM Master Storm case - [link]

CM 700w Silent Pro Powersupply - [link]

022&cm_re=gh-psu23-pb-_-35-128-022-_-Product

AMD Hex core cpu - [link]

This is all I need for the next 6-8yrs.

RealXboxMaster said:

supersmashbrada said:

You lost me there, is this bragging rights?

both

* Support ATI CrossFireX Multi-GPU Technology

* Support Microsoft DirectX 11, Shader Model 5.0 and OpenGL 3.2

CM Master Storm case - [link]

CM 700w Silent Pro Powersupply - [link]

022&cm_re=gh-psu23-pb-_-35-128-022-_-Product

AMD Hex core cpu - [link]

This is all I need for the next 6-8yrs.

[link]

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I dont think I'll ever buy another dual gpu solution. I loved my gtx 295, but when it was time to find another one(just about 5 months ago) I still couldn't find one for under 400+usd.

Regenweald said:

I don't see this happening, these cards are hot, how cut down and down throttled will thay have to be to stay within PCI-E specifications ?

Pretty arrogant considering nobody knows the performance of the 6950/70 we only have hearsay, and everybody has dismissed power-colors confidence in the Radeon product, I for one like AMD, if not for them who knows what we'd have to pay for these types of product's. Nvidia and Intel wouldn't even bother lowering their prices if not for AMD, they are the underdog in this and i'll keep cheering them on Go Cypress go Antilles!!!

I currently have 2 GTX 480's SLI, wonder how these will fare vs a GTX 590. Temping to sell both 480's and save it up to get 1 590 hmm.. I love the fierce competition between AMD ATI and Nvidia, lower prices for us :). I'ved been on both of the camp my cards have been as follows:

ATI Radeon 9700 pro->

ATI X1800 XT->

Nvidia 8800 GTS->

ATI 4870 to->

Nvidia 9800 GX2->

ATI 4890 Crossfired ->

Nvidia GTX 480 SLI current

Dead RMA/returned cards:

Saphire 4870 DOA, no bootup

GTX 295 bluescreens of death

suffice to say i'ved had my share of driver issues and performance bugs from both teams. I just get what seems like the best performance for certain titles that I really want to play. Currently the SLI scaling on the 480's is just amazing close to the 90%, so it might be hard to have a 590 beat it.

well for one consoles arnt that great and when it comes to games whats the point at playing a game a low res u lose the eye candy and that's what makes gaming fun eye candy + consoles are low res and all the games look the same and just cause u hook it up to a 42 inch tv doesn't mean your res changes to that just to let ya know

Umm do you know that consoles support 1080p?

Extout said:

I have been running my GTX 295s Quad sli since they first came out an loving them i am waiting to purchase the 590s wow ! right now i run everthing in max graphics an get no lag, frame rates from 80 to 160, they are amazing i am gaming on an I7 intell x58 rig using a samsung 305t 30 inch monitor, at 2560mp x 1600mp. Its wicked. still get my **** kicked in modern warefare 2 though lol well not always : ) AKA Extout

Extout said:

Both the ps3 an the new xbox support 1080p get the new samsung 6400 55" thats what my kids game on looks really good. I hate consols though. Been gaming on a pc for a long time. lol