Sony sells TV with a built-in PlayStation 2

By on December 3, 2010, 1:29 PM
UK electronics retailer Richer Sounds is selling a 22-inch Sony HDTV with a PlayStation 2 built-in. Dubbed the Sony Bravia KDL-22PX300, the set sits atop the built-in PlayStation 2, and will set you back 200 (or about $312). Unfortunately, Sony has no plans to bring anything similar to the KDL-22PX300 to the US, according to CNET.

The HDTV boasts four HDMI ports, three USB ports (unfortunately two of them are USB 1.1), and two Ethernet connections. It also has access to Sony's Bravia online service either through Ethernet or via the optional wireless dongle. The TV set features a 1,366x768 resolution, which means no 1080p support.

The console integration is what makes this product so interesting: not only can gamers play PS2 titles on the device, but since the PS2 is backward-compatible with original PlayStation titles, users can also play those on the television.

The PlayStation 2 launched in 2000. More than a decade later, it's still available for purchase as a standalone console for $100, and boasts more than 1,800 games in its library. This new product from Sony solves a problem for current PS3 owners: certain PS3s do not have backwards compatibility with older titles.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

A 10 year old game console in a 22" TV? You couldn't give me one of these (although I have to admit the $312 price isn't bad for anyone who would be interested).

Nima304 said:

This is SO STUPID! Something like this should have been released around 7 years ago, not now.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I quite like this...Sure it's a little after its time, but lets not forget the fun thats going to be involved with it.

Anyone who's had a PS2 knows that they break fairly quickly, but also when they do break they don't completely die..They sort of die in a funny way. I mean for example, i myself have had 3 PS2's in roughly 5 years...The PS2 i have now only works when it's warm and after i've beat the **** out of it for at least an hour..Plus the awful whining sound it makes every time i put a new disc in, which is obviously the "i'm slowly dying an awful death, please plough a brick through me at once" kind of sound.

See, it's this sort of interaction between hardware thats most fun in life, and now this tv has come along..It will bring new life to this way of things...If thats not worth £200, then i don't know what is.

madboyv1 said:

@Benny: I still have my original fat PS2 from release. Heavy usage, had some scary moments in the past, but it still works. =p

Yeah, i'de keep hold of that one pal...Might be worth as much as £20 ($30) in a few years!! (which in PS2 pricing is the same as billions really). XD

Zilliak said:

why cant we like move on from the outdated ps3 and xbox and do something different the graphics kill my eyes.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's not built in, persay. They're just using the PS2 as the support base.

Still, it is pretty cool. I still play PS1/PS2 games, some of it for nostalgia's sake, some late 2000s japanese games that really push the PS2 to its limits (Like ACE 3 for instance).

vangrat said:

PS2?!?!!?!?!? What the hell! That...stupid...very...omg my brain hurts...god why?! Yes you are all here trying to put a good spin on this, but seriously this is lame. Not just lame, the TV has no 1080p (not that a PS2 could use 1080p) so you couldn't even use it for a nice HDTV...I am sorry but if you spend your money on this when you could go out and get a PS3 and a nice HDTV...you deserve to be kick in the shins really hard...by a donkey.

EDO219 said:

bahahaha!

The PS2 has simply been attached to the bottom of the TV stand instead of within the side of it! XD

This can not be real! Also note that the image says 1080p, yet the review states it can not go up to that resolution.

Tanstar said:

PS2, not a PS3. 720, not 1080. 22 inch, not 32 inch or bigger.

"Unfortunately, Sony has no plans to bring anything similar to the KDL-22PX300 to the US"

Yeah, I'm okay with that :P

this could have been a killer product if it was released before ps3. it would be cool if sony will combine their ps3 and 1080p hdtvs as one product.

MrAnderson said:

Nice idea... poor execution... very poor. Who did the fire for designing that?

No one wants a base on a HDTV like that. The PS2 would have been better mounted into the back of the TV with a side facing feeding tray like the wii or ps3.

not bad for the bedroom suppose and good price but surely they should of just put the ps2 inside like the tvs with built in dvd players, this is just a tv with a ps2 glued to the bottom?????

LMAO... Vangrat, Pygmus, and Tanstar had to have put it best. OK, so maybe the company was over budget, right? Sometimes companies get a little behind schedule.. Like a few weeks, or several months, or, in the case of this company, like a DECADE... Still, I'm glad they made this product. I haven't laughed my butt off in weeks, and thanks to them, I feel human again. True, it DOES say 1080p in the ad, doesn't it? ...LMAO, I mean, whats so WRONG about taking ten years to glue an outdated console to the bottom of a craphole TV, and create a farked up ad to try to sell it? Maybe we should learn from a good example. In fact, I'm gluing my rotary phone to my coffee cup as I type this. No more searching for my cup after untangling myself from those pesky wires. :) think maybe I'm onto something here...

jgvmx said:

Somewhat late but may be a good gift for the kids room. I still play a lot of ps2 games today, sure they don't have the fancy graphics of modern titles but are every bit as fun to play and also quite inexpensive.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

Why release that now? The PS2 is years out of date! What a stupid idea.