Seagate introduces 5,900RPM Barracuda Green drives

By on December 15, 2010, 8:00 AM
Seagate has been keeping busy lately following its unfruitful buyout talks. Hot on the heels of announcing the industry’s first enterprise-grade 1TB 2.5-inch hard drive, the company is revealing what it claims is the highest-performance eco-friendly internal drive for low-power PCs, multi-drive home servers, NAS drives, and external PC storage.

The new Barracuda Green 3.5-inch desktop drives won’t exactly break any speed records spinning at 5900 RPM but they should still be a tad faster than competing low-power drives. There will be two versions available in three different capacities, one with a 32MB cache and 3Gbps SATA interface 1TB, 1.5TB, and 2TB capacities, and another with a 64MB cache and 6Gbps SATA interface offering either 1.5TB or 2TB worth of storage.

The drives are also among the first to utilize Advanced Format 4K sectors in the desktop segment, which should not only allow for higher capacities going forward, but also stronger error correction. Configuring a system to use 4K can be complex, but Seagate’s SmartAlign technology promises to make the process almost transparent to users. Barracuda Green drives replace Seagate's former Barracuda LP line and is available now ranging in price from $60 to $120.




User Comments: 9

Got something to say? Post a comment
fpsgamerJR62 said:

Both Seagate and Western Digital are now offering these "Green" drives which seem to be marketed for data storage rather than as boot drives. Seagate is, at least, declaring the actual speed of the drive while Western Digital has made no such declaration for their Caviar Green HDs.

lchu12 lchu12 said:

I think they is a "assumed" thinking about the speed of these green drives. Where technology ethusiast know these guys go around 5400RPM, online retailers on the other hand put 7200 RPM for the green drives, even though nothing is "posted" on the manufacturer's website.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Both Seagate and Western Digital are now offering these "Green" drives which seem to be marketed for data storage rather than as boot drives. Seagate is, at least, declaring the actual speed of the drive while Western Digital has made no such declaration for their Caviar Green HDs.

If you check the spec sheet on the Western Digital website it gives you the speed of all there drives on there.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Checked the Western Digital website again just now. Specification for Caviar Green drives under the heading Rotational Speed = IntelliPower. No explanation what that means.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Checked the Western Digital website again just now. Specification for Caviar Green drives under the heading Rotational Speed = IntelliPower. No explanation what that means.
They spin at whatever speed they believe they need to, up to 7200 RPM. I think. They're very bright, they have microprocessors in them. You can buy 2 and run them in RAID ?.....

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"IntelliPower

A fine-tuned balance of spin speed,

transfer rate, and caching algorithms

designed to deliver both significant

power savings and solid performance.

Additionally, WD Caviar Green drives

consume less current during startup

allowing lower peak loads on systems

as they are booted."

there you go, was on the website, Points go to Captain on this one

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

captaincranky said:

You can buy 2 and run them in RAID ?.....

Not sure if this question is rhetorical, but green drives are normally a bad choice for RAID, as they have slower spin up times and often will be marked defective by RAID controllers.

burty117 said:

"IntelliPower

A fine-tuned balance of spin speed,

transfer rate, and caching algorithms

designed to deliver both significant

power savings and solid performance.

Additionally, WD Caviar Green drives

consume less current during startup

allowing lower peak loads on systems

as they are booted."

there you go, was on the website, Points go to Captain on this one

I'd have to side with fpsgamerJR62 on this one. That description is about as full of marketing jargon and absent of technical statistics as it can get.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Not sure if this question is rhetorical, but green drives are normally a bad choice for RAID, as they have slower spin up times and often will be marked defective by RAID controllers.

Unless you actually know of a RAID mode >> "?" <<, then you can safely assume that was a joke.

As to "Intellipower" and the rotational speed of these drives, it's exactly what I said it was, "up to 7200 RPM". The beginning speed is 5400RPM. These specs were pitched when the first "Caviar Green" was released.

So yes, it may be a bit of a hunt, but the rotational speed of these drives is posted on WD's website; [link]

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Unless you actually know of a RAID mode >> "?" <<, then you can safely assume that was a joke.

Ah.. that makes so much more sense. I thought the "?" was an actual punctuation of a question and not a place holder, which had me pretty confused.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.