Steam launches holiday sale, discounts 1000+ games

By on December 20, 2010, 3:22 PM
With Christmas only five days away, Steam has finally launched its 2010 holiday sale, discounting over a thousand games. The event will run through January 2 and each day will bring a new batch of sales. Today's featured titles include Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ($6.79), Prince of Persia (all titles 75% off), Super Meat Boy ($3.75), F.E.A.R. bundle ($9.99), and more.

Alongside the daily deals, Steam has cut prices on many publisher catalogs, not to mention the various greatly discounted bundles. For example, the 2K Mega Pack ($79.99) offers over three dozen games and expansions including BioShock 2, Mafia II, and Borderlands. Similar bundles are available for THQ, Bethesda, Square Enix / Eidos, Epic Games, Valve and many others.

If you happen to need a last minute gift for the casual gamer in your family, it's worth mentioning that more than 150 indie titles are also on sale in various $5 packs. As a reminder, today marks the conclusion of Steam's 'Treasure Hunt', so be sure to complete your objectives and log on before the end of the day for a chance to win 100 games of your choosing.

be_patient said:

So many awesome deals. I've been hoping they did something massive for Christmas

edison5do said:

This is My Chance to get some great titles.

KG363 KG363 said:

Last year's was way better. There were hits for $5. This is kinda disappointing

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

(sigh) I wasn't looking forward to this. Now I'll have to buy more stuff.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

kg363, This year's sale has barely started, how can you say last year's was better?

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have most if not all the games i want already.

Cueto_99 said:

Holly Molly! I didn't wanna spend more money on games!! but, how could I resist missing all this awesome deals

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ok please update BadCompany 2 price, they made a mistake making the core price at $20 when it was $30 before, I checked the price with discount from work at $20 for a $6.8 final and when I got home they fixed it back to $30 for a final $10,1 =(

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Not entirely sure what you're saying Kibaruk, but I still see BC2 as $6.79.

KG363 KG363 said:

Matthew said:

haha my mistake, I misread. I thought it was these deals until jan 2. I didn't realize that there would be new ones. My bad

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Ohhhh yeah, Steam holiday sales. $5 for games is my idea of fun!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh boy, time to spend more money. =/

I'm hoping nice deep discount on Assassin's Creed 2 and Dragon Age Origins.

Timonius Timonius said:

the question is do we buy now or wait and see if our wanted games will go on a deeper discount

Awesome! My only rule: Only buy 66%+ deals.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

I'm gonna guess that since they are saying 1000+ games will be on-sale, I doubt the 'daily deals' will be repeated at a lower price.

teklord teklord said:

This is so awesome. Everyone, I'm buying LFD2, BFBC2, & Epic Pack, so get those as well so there will be more people for me to play online. ^^ Also getting Oblivion, best offline game I ever played and you need the original executable to enable AA, hence my purchase.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

OMG, now i'll need time to play :P

cheers!

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

The big news is that two titles that were previously Xbox exclusives are now playable on the PC: Oddworld Stranger's Wrath & Munch's Odyssey! :-D

princeton princeton said:

EVERYONE GET BC2!! So they can add it to the friday night fragfest.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This is the sale i've been waiting for! Deus Ex pack, Downloading, Orginal Half-Life... DOWNLOADING!

Red Faction and Red Faction 2.... DOWNLOADING!

I LOVE STEAM!!!!

Okey, I said no but now I see burnout paradise at $5.00. I can't say no :-S

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I see in today's sale that they have "Defense Grid: The Awakening" for a whopping $2.00. It's an addicting tower defense game with great graphics and music. It'll be the best $2.00 game you ever bought - got a 9.4 user rating score on Metacritic.

Leeky Leeky said:

Got myself BFBC2 and the Deus Ex twinpack.

Will likely get more as I go along, but thank you to Dustin for reminding me about BFBC2!

Gotta say I'm a tad peeved I needed to register with EA in order to even start BFBC2 though.

EDIT: Add the Witcher: Enhanced Edition, and Bioshock.

w3b0n said:

Okey, I said no but now I see burnout paradise at $5.00. I can't say no :-S

cheers my friend! thats the first one im getting ;f

unreal tournament calls me 2 .. feeling kinda old school today

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow, this deals are amazing.

teklord teklord said:

Got done playing UT III Black for several hours and it is awesome. Very similar to Halo, hence my immediately coming in and pwning everyone. Can't wait to get the Master Chief skin to work.

Caveat Emptor regarding Steam. The games dl in installed form so you don't have to set them up, however if you to reinstall your OS, will they still work? What if your HDD dies, you have no backup and this one I have now is very suspect.

Leeky Leeky said:

From what I understand, Steam knows you have the games you have, so when its installed on another hard disk, it will attempt to download your complete game portfolio. Least thats what I'm led to believe.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Matthew said:

Not entirely sure what you're saying Kibaruk, but I still see BC2 as $6.79.

For some reason I still don't get, from work I saw it core priced at $20, when I got home it was $30, and that was it, I just bought it... =( Could it be region related? Though I cant see how in some place it's more expensive than another being the game and the support of it the same.

teklord teklord said:

BFBC2 is $14.99 now, $6.49 was too good for a long term sale price point. Must not be offering that price to Chile.

mailpup mailpup said:

If you reinstall your OS or if you build/buy another PC, you have only to re-download the game and install it. You can even install it on more than one PC but you can only run it on one PC at a time.

Also, it doesn't matter if you bought a downloaded version of a game or a retail CD/DVD copy of a game. Once listed on your Steam library, it is available for download to any of your PCs. Whenever I build a new PC, I always download a game or two from my library and ALL of my Steam games so far are originally retail CD/DVD versions.

You first install Steam, sign in and go to your game library, download the game you want.

@Leeky, you don't have to download the whole portfolio. You choose which game or games you want to install.

teklord teklord said: