Call of Duty: Black Ops rakes in over $1 billion

By on December 21, 2010, 2:22 PM
Call of Duty: Black Ops has crossed the $1 billion mark in sales worldwide, according to internal Activision Publishing estimates. To date, more than 600 million hours have been logged playing Call of Duty: Black Ops since the game launched on November 9, 2010. The average Xbox Live player logs on more than once a day and plays for more than one hour each time, according to Microsoft. Over half of that time is spent playing online with and against friends.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the predecessor to Black Ops, also accumulated over $1 billion in global retail sales but it took the game slightly longer to do so. Last month, Black Ops set a new record for the video game industry by selling 5.6 million copies (more than $360 million) on its first day and then broke theatrical box office, book, and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars (more than $650 million).

Black Ops is the seventh installment of the popular Call of Duty military-themed shooter franchise. Activision Blizzard originally said that it did not expect Black Ops to outperform Modern Warfare 2 even though two months ago it said preorders for the former were selling faster than those for the latter did.

"In all of entertainment, only Call of Duty and "Avatar" have ever achieved the billion dollar revenue milestone this quickly," Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, said in a statement. "This is a tribute to the global appeal of the Call of Duty franchise, the exceptional talent at Treyarch and the hundreds of extraordinary people across our many Call of Duty studios including Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer that work tirelessly on the franchise. Our ability to provide the most compelling, immersive entertainment experience, and enhance it with regular, recurring content that delivers hundreds of hours of audience value, has allowed Call of Duty to continue to set sales and usage records."

princeton princeton said:

Hooray! The worst 2010 shooter got over a Billion dollars in just over a month!

dummybait said:

Just goes to show how low the expectations are for the "New" generation of gamers... sad indeed.

yRaz yRaz said:

I think after crysis 2, elderscrolls V, and masseffect 3 I'm done with gaming. These last 3 years have sucked for gaming and I hope 2011 is better. I'm not waiting another year for a good game. I spend too much money on my computer to be buying BAD and OVERPRICED games. I don't see this trend changing, either...

I should get a girlfriend and spend all my money on her, at least I would get more for my money that way.

princeton princeton said:

dummybait said:

Console players are not gamers. They require autoaim for anything requiring having to hit a specific target.

Cueto_99 said:

Sticking now with battlefield bc2 Vietnam, why would I need another shooter?

princeton princeton said:

In 2010 BC2 was by far the best PC shooter. Like, when you look at it, you know some serious work was put into the PC version.

jetkami said:

So many suckers out there. I guess thats why Packard Bell sold millions of computers also.

princeton princeton said:

jetkami said:

Well Packard Bell is just Acer.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Note to game publishers: people are willing to pay for games just not the crap you sell. Stop blaming piracy.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I didn't rekon much to the game either. Thank god for friend's wasting their money before me.

RaiDeR55 said:

gwailo247 said:

Got that right..All that marketing hype guess sells lackluster games these days,at high$$ prices.

BC2 is better then Black Ops imo.

r3claimer r3claimer said:

Good grief, I can't believe I wasted my money on this game. I uninstalled it less than a week after I bought it and gave it to a friend to try. He apparently likes terrible games, so I told him to keep it, convenient Christmas present I suppose....

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

COD has sucked since modern warfare 2 came out and what do we get a crappier looking game set on an older game engine that looks like shit and doesn't play much better. Come on we want a game that looks good and plays good quit making it all about money you bastards we pay your way through life by buying your games least you could do is make an effort to make it look like you care a little you could learn a lot from the makers of BC2 which is a far better game. Look we dont spend thousands of dollars on awesome video cards and cpus to build an amazing gaming pc to have you bring out a game running on an engine made in 2007??????? look PC gamers pay good money to have great systems and just want great games in return console gamers pay once for a system and its done we deal out tons of money year over year and get nothing back in return on the PC.

w3b0n said:

They sold us the idea of a good developed/coded game. We got scammed using our COD loyalty because honestly who didn't thought that Beta Ops i mean Black Ops was the real deal, after loading the game on our pc's and saw the crappy stuff they sold us it was too late we already gave them that billion.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Wow that is ridiculous... just shows how many people out there are willing to waste money. I dunno maybe they actually really like the game, but... $60? I dunno, seems overpriced. I really wish they would release a demo for the PC so I could try the multiplayer out. I have played a little single player, and it seemed pretty good but I really want to make sure I like the MP before I buy.

This also proves piracy isn't really that big of a problem for them, even if it is pirated a lot, they are still getting plenty of monies. I bet if they dropped the price down to $40 I bet they'd sell a whole lot more and actually increase profits. There are plenty of us waiting for the price to come down, and if it doesn't for quite some time, that is a lot of no sales.

j05hh j05hh said:

lmao at the people who complain that this game blows, did you even give it a chance? most of the people who say the game is horrid are the ones with a terrible pc or just getting raped when playing online. Playing in a party with friends his hilarious. This game is the shit..

tacobfm said:

The never dropped the price for mw2, but then again this is treyarch

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lmao at the people who complain that this game blows, did you even give it a chance? most of the people who say the game is horrid are the ones with a terrible pc or just getting raped when playing online. Playing in a party with friends his hilarious. This game is the ****..

dude are you a *****? i mean come on this game is like the biggest let down ever and so was mw2 they are selling crap games and making millions off it. you obviously have never played BC2.

I like STALKER CoP more...

63Jax said:

loool, this poorly unoptimized game (pc) made 1 billion? jeez what has the world come to...

g4mer said:

How come nobody likes this game but it sells over 1b???

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

g4mer said:

How come nobody likes this game but it sells over 1b???

Because it has managed to do what the Wii did, get into the general publics interests.

It had soo much publicity that almost everyone I know had heard of it and of course from the older games It was developed by a decent developer and always got praise from the more hardcore FPS croud until MW2.

This was a complete and utter let down because they used the trust that everyone had given the franchise to sell an absolute rubbish game that was developed by at best, a medicore developer. Just for the money.

If it had been Infinity Ward developing the game, it may not have been such a let down, then again, it would have been an entire year more before we would see any game materialise.

j05hh j05hh said:

klepto12 said:

I have BC2, gave it a chance, didn't care for it,

hassaan said:

Not surprised at all, was actually waiting for the number to pop-up.

I've been playing fps for 10 years now on the pc and the cod franchise never disappoints all these fails posting on here about how bad the game is, are just people who are simply bad at the game. BC2 had fantastic graphics and development but the game play is no where near as fun as the cod franchise hence the reason it has so many hours logged on the game. Cod simply has the best replay value and its a great combination of arcade and realistic style which makes it fun to pick up and play for hours. Anyone who thinks otherwise simply either doesn't like fps or doesn't enjoy competitive online play and should stick to less intensive games such as duck hunt. - owned

amie900218 said:

BC2 sucks! Black Ops RULES!!!

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Its World at War all over again. Or COD3. Treyarch. Their games are nothing more than mods of the Infinity Ward games. Bad Company 2 is totally awesome tho and kicks MW2 and Black Ops square in the nuts.

I never purchased MW2, no dedicated server, no sale.

I did buy Black OPs

reLapse reLapse said:

yukka said:

Bad Company 2 is totally awesome.

Bad Company 2 is the worst game to hit the market this year, sharing the podium with Medal of Honor.

While the game engine was aesthetically pleasing it is one of the worst performing engines to date.

EA are on a low content game design which only favours EA, they're just going to keep rorting the consumer with paid dlcs until they push Battlefield 3 and then they'll do it all over again.

In the same time it takes most companies to produce a content rich game EA pretends to put out a content poor game with the excuse that they were fine tuning the game, launch of their last two fps titles shows that to be a lie, and then they release content that was ready for release as two paid dlcs.

EA are becoming worse than Activision.

DocHoliday69 said:

princeton said:

Hooray! The worst 2010 shooter got over a Billion dollars in just over a month!

Best post so far, short and right to the point, BC2 and MOH just way better!

zillion said:

I must admit that i bought Black Ops on release date, i was thrilled and i love the SP-mode, then the Mp-mode just made me love this game even more. I can say that im 1 of those that had/have absolutely no issues with the performance since i hit around 140fps average and i do understand some ppl have major issues on that regard.

The MoH and Bc2 i recently purchased through the steam holiday sales and tbh its not my thing, u might sit there and call me all kinds of ugly things now, but i spend more then half my ingame time running in Bc2 just to be raped by snipers, tanks or heliĀ's in an instant. The game feels slow and i think there are other issues aswell.

MoH is bad, bad, bad and very bad. dont like anything of it, the maps are too narrow making it a gauntlet so its like being back to cod4 with too much trenchwars.......

What i do like about Black Ops is that the game moves faster then me (on pc that is) meanning if i get better and faster, the game will allow me to. but Bc2 will never let me go, it feels like my char is running around with 100 bricks under each arm. Yes i suck at flying a heli (still feel sorry for the last dude i killed by crash) and with the small amount of time i have playing shooters, cod just lets me rape face right away and the maps are very well made in my opnion, they have diversity, shortcuts, optional routes which increases the dynamic of each game, i do agree some ppl will say its the same each map, but all shooters goes through phases but if u think outside the box it brings me lots of fun ....and frustrations ofc, which is why i like cod, coz obviously if u care...u care.

If u read all of this post i thank u now. happii new year :P