Avatar wins another award: Most Pirated Movie of 2010

By on December 22, 2010, 1:57 PM
Avatar broke various records at the box office, so it's not too surprising the title has been crowned as the most pirated movie in 2010. It's also worth noting that Avatar beat last year's record of total movie downloads in 12 months: Star Trek with 10,960,000 downloads.

Here is the top 10 list for this year, collected by TorrentFreak from several sources, including reports from thousands of BitTorrent trackers. All release formats, including cams, are counted. The data is then checked by hand for errors.

1. Avatar: 16,580,000 downloads
  2. Kick-Ass: 11,400,000 downloads
  3. Inception: 9,720,000 downloads
  4. Shutter Island: 9,490,000 downloads
  5. Iron Man 2: 8,810,000 downloads
  6. Clash of the Titans: 8,040,000 downloads
  7. Green Zone: 7,730,000 downloads
  8. Sherlock Holmes: 7,160,000 downloads
  9. The Hurt Locker: 6,850,000 downloads
  10. Salt: 6,700,000 downloads

As always, there are a few notable absentees. The two best grossing movies at the box-office this year, Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland, did not make the list. Both are cartoon movies, which could mean pirates aren't as interested in them, and were in 3D, which would make them less appealing to pirate in the first place. On the other hand, Kick-Ass and Green Zone both made the list, but did not do as well at the box office.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Heh heh...Victim of it's own success eh. I doubt Cameron will be too annoyed, due to the killing he made from it.

EDO219 said:

TomSEA ... you're strangely silent. lol

princeton princeton said:

Never bothered. I already own pocahontas. Don't need a version in space.

EDO219 said:

I just realized an ironic tid-bit of dark humor pertaining to Avatar. Most people likely spent more money watching Avatar than they donated to nature conservation in any given year. xD

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Seeing Avatar in 3D on a big screen was pretty cool. Really have no interest in watching it again on a TV, not the same.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Never bothered. I already own Pocahontas. Don't need a version in space.
How many times must I tell you people, it was, "Fern Gully", in outer space, not "Pocahontas"!

Well, maybe a little bit Pocahontas, but more Fern Gully.

To whom it may concern; notice when you capitalize the first letter of a proper noun, Firefox will take away the ugly red lines under it, as opposed to putting them there when you don't.

And speaking of awards, does "most pirated movie", come with a trophy? Let me be the first to suggest the, "Arrrrghy"! This would consist of a golden peg leg and matching golden eye patch for the director. C'mon Jimbo, try them on!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I honestly would have figured that number to be way higher then that considering the popularity of Avatar.

Ah, Fern Gully I remember seeing that in theaters as a kid, fun movie . In any case, Avatar seems to be a pretty obvious mix of both to me rather then one over the other.

Gars Gars said:

first time ive seen Avatar - pirate - shit

second time ive seen Avatar - in 3D on cinema hall - wow effect

third time ive seen avatar - same as previous

brilliant

/i dont give a f*n s*t for that movie that get the OSkars - total disaster

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

In either case, it deserves my "Arrrrghy"...!

Especially since the plot was pirated, then the movie was pirated heavily. I mean how far must a director go for affirmation of achievement...?.

g4mer said:

I never watched this movie and i never will because it sucks.

princeton princeton said:

g4mer said:

I never watched this movie and i never will because it sucks.

YAH MAN. I CAN TOTALLY JUDGE THAT IT SUCKS EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT EVER SEEN IT!!!!!

Give me a f*cking break. If your judging a movie you haven't seen and say that it sucks you need to go back to school.

Relic said:

Uh....yah....fun movie. I loved it so much(sarcasm). Anyway I'll leave this here.

[link]

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Captaincranky - 5,000,000 / Guest - 0

Sorry, but once captain cranky hits you, the war is over, and you have lost, lol. Especially with comments like that.

g4mer said:

I never watched this movie and i never will because it sucks.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense! [/sarcasm]

I just love how people talk about how much this movie sucked, even though it topped the box office charts and is the most downloadable movie. Yet again, that makes perfect sense! [/sarcasm]

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I never watched this movie and i never will because it sucks.

I actually feel sort of the same way BUT my way of speaking would go a little different. Something like,

I've never been keen on giving Avatar a go, from the trailers i've seen, it just doesn't look my type i don't think.

g4mer said:

Benny26 said:

I never watched this movie and i never will because it sucks.

That's what i was thinking. I just didn't express very well + my friends told me it was a shitty movie.