Call of Duty: Black Ops named 2010's most pirated PC game

By on December 29, 2010, 7:19 PM
Call of Duty: Black Ops has been crowned the most pirated PC game of 2010 according to TorrentFreak. Launched only last month, the title has been downloaded a whopping 4.27 million times for PC. That's more than last year's most torrented PC game, COD: Modern Warfare 2, which reached 4.1 million illegal downloads in nearly the same time span.

Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2 (released in March) is the second most pirated PC game with 3.96 million downloads, while Mafia 2 and Mass Effect 2 were torrented 3.55 and 3.24 million times. Despite setting a record for having the most data illegally downloaded (15.77PB as of last month), StarCraft II placed fifth in total PC game downloads with 3.12 million.

Dante's Inferno is this year's most torrented Xbox 360 title at 1.28 million downloads, just ahead of Alan Wake (1.14m), Red Dead Redemption (1.06m), and Halo Reach (990k). Surprisingly, Black Ops placed fifth on the 360 list, though it was downloaded practically the same number of time as MW2 last year (930,000 versus 970,000).

Meanwhile, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was downloaded 1.47 million times for the Nintendo Wii, followed by Wii Party (1.22m), Donkey Kong Country Returns (920k), Kirby's Epic Yarn (880k), and Red Steel 2 (850k). If you're curious, TorrentFreak noted that its figures are collected from several sources, including all public BitTorrent trackers.

KG363 KG363 said:

This sickens me. I could never pirate a new game

Recycle said:

This sickens me. I could never pirate a mediocre game.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Not that I'm justifying piracy, but I understand that COD: Black Ops costs $60 and it took my little brother 2 hours to beat the campaign.

There's something just not right about that.

KG363 KG363 said:

Recycle said:

This sickens me. I could never pirate a mediocre game.

Haha. Touché

"it took my little brother 2 hours to beat the campaign."

Either your brother is a secret war machine created by the goberment or needs to get out more.

I call shens. Takes at least 4 or 5 hours to beat the single player campaign.

Still, considering the quality the game came out with and that its technically inferior to mw2, it shouldn't have cost $60

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Is this game really that horrid? If it is, why are people snapping it up like they are?

KG363 KG363 said:

I think the multiplayer is pretty darn good. The campaign was ludicrous and short, unfortunately.

It is kinda buggy though

princeton princeton said:

The games piracy could be caused by the performance, due to the fact that the so called "multi core optimization" just turns the other cores into a glorified heater.

If there's any game that has ever deserved to get pirated, it's this one.

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

Because they see CoD in the name.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Duh....

I bought this game and it took them 2 months to make it work, Why should people pay for garbage? Companies gotta actually start giving a rats *** about quality.

I wish i D/L a hacked version so i knew not to waste my money.

Comic Book Guy: 'Worst. Console-Port. Ever.'

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

red1776 said:

You know what they say Red... Haters gonna hate

That many downloaders can't be wrong.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Duh....

well excuuuuuuuuusssssse meeeeeeeee! < Steve Martin 1977

You know what they say Red... Haters gonna hate

That many downloaders can't be wrong.

What do you think of it R? worth $60?

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

Duh....

Nothing? No rant about piracy? Hmm, I expected more than that.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

princeton said:

TomSEA said:

Duh....

Nothing? No rant about piracy? Hmm, I expected more than that.

Ha ha me too. =p

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Recycle said:

This sickens me. I could never pirate a mediocre game.

Isn't that backwards thinking? Good games should be bought while mediocre games should be pirated.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I call shens. Takes at least 4 or 5 hours to beat the single player campaign.

I second this, it took me 6 hours to beat the SP campaign and 5 hours a second time around.

Then again, people don't buy COD games for the SP anymore.

ramonsterns said:

Neither should have MW2. It was an average game, over-hyped game and this bullshit pricing scheme is now being adopted by EA, so they can expect me not to buy any of their games any time soon.

Wow, you guys just reminded me there was a SP part of COD:BO, I completely forgot!

Let's see how many hours it takes you to unlock/beat MP,

I buy CoD games for the story, set pieces, cool scenarios. Not bought this one yet will do when it is a more resonable price in about..... 6 years.

Screw multiplayer t-bagging screeching 10yr old repetitive crap. Lol I like multiplayer really but seriously put some effort into lengthening the campaign Tryarch.

windmill007 said:

Solution.....Lower the price if you want it pirated less. Will it still be pirated sure....but a lot less. I think $39.99 would be the sweet spot for new games...any more and you get rampant piracy. Same for songs..Anything greater than .10 per song and kids will not buy....sorry. I think a lot of these companies price themselves into piracy. Example..Microsoft lowered prices on windows and office...A lot less piracy!

I see a problem here.

You almost all seem to think stealing is OK. That's what Torrenting a whole game is you know.

It's too expensive!,

It's a lousy game!,

Pretty sorry for excuses.

"Anything greater than .10 per song and kids will not buy,.. sorry"

"Kids" should perhaps save their allowance and pay for it like everyone else who does.

Or perhaps even go get jobs.

"That many down loaders can't be wrong."

Yes they can....

g4mer said:

Torrent is a modern Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich, giving to the poor.

I think its alright to try it out yea. Ive spent way to much money on games I play for 30mins then never play again because they are crap.

Demo's are unheard of anymore, Make a good game ill play if i like it ill buy it, but now with $69.99 price tags on them is just getting nuts too.

Companies keep getting greedier what do u expect people just to keep paying for them ?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Torrent is a modern Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich, giving to the poor.

Yeah, problem is though, he might not be giving to the poor, because he gives to himself, and himself could be anyone regardless of wealth. In fact really poor people who can't afford the internet are the only one's you can count on not being Robin Hood's.

what do u expect people just to keep paying for them ?

They do have a demo. I saw the disk on a PC Gamer magazine if I remember.

Torrent is a modern Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich, giving to the poor. :D

Except for the fact that all of you have unlimited internet access and therefor I doubt you are poor.

All still just lame excuses for theft.

jetkami said:

To everyone who bought this game and realized it sucks....Learn to support only companies who support pc gameing. BF2BC plus Vietnam exp pack 2 maps packs and 1 DLC kit and I think they may all add up to $60 over the last year since I have been playing. And BF2BC is on steam for less then $25!

Excuse like I will pirate game because its short or bad. Are not good for all PC gamers.

I do not buy games for multiplayer as all multiplayers are the same you shoot people.

If I want do that I can just play UT 2004 or Counter strike. This is why if I see game with short SP content I do not buy game and I do not pirate as this is Very Bad Game. Only if people will stop buying and pirate games like this will make them to put some more effort to do better job next time if game which take to finish 4-6 H its best sailing game. We send them wrong massage. Now everybody do this develop short games, or sorry they develop long games but they saling remaining parts of this game as DLC.

And all who approve this are people who buy them or pirate and do not say no if I pirate I do not pay but 4mil copies in pirate say:

Keep making this games they are brilliant.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"Only if people will stop buying and pirate games like this will make them to put some more effort to do better job next time."

Well this excuse to steal takes the cake. In a nutshell, "I personally don't like the game so I'll steal it in order to make the game company put out something I like." And of course, no guarantee that "Guest" here will buy that anyway.

Once a thief, always a thief.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Once a thief, always a thief.

Well dang, looks like i'm a thief...

r3claimer r3claimer said:

This game has garbage recycled multiplayer. "Fun" isn't having a 34 killing spree ended by an OP Dog Killstreak. This franchise used to be halfway decent. Now you can pick up the game and play for an hour and do just as well as anyone else. Multiplayer needs to have a steeper learning curve to separate the good players from the bad ones. Instead, as long as you spam explosives or camp, you are pretty much guaranteed to end with an even KDR.....

and with the PS3 jailbroken next year we will see a list for it aswhile

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

"We send them wrong massage. Now everybody do this develop short games,"

Well hell..there is the problem with piracy right there..wrong massages :P

grvalderrama said:

Damn it... I torrented this game and I liked it...lol, looks like the excuse of "this game sucks, doesn't worth my money" doesn't exactly work on me (6).

pcnthuziast said:

Makes sense that it would be pirated alot since the game is BOOTY! ;P

seefizzle said:

Makes me wanna go pirate this game.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And the upshot of this is ......?

yRaz yRaz said:

TomSEA said:

Once a thief, always a thief.

seriously? I use to agree with some of the stuff you said, but really? Look, black ops is a bad game, there is no mistaking that. The number of copies torrented reflects that. The game is 1) WAYY overpriced, if it wasn't a franchise I bet that it would cost $30-$40 at release. 2) the game IS crap and they don't allow you to test it. They don't release demos anymore because they don't want people to know how much it sucks before they buy it. That allows them to rack up the preorders and rip everyone off.

Black ops is the disappointment of 2010. 2010 was a bad year for games...

Makes sense. When my brother tries to play black ops(pc version) online, there is barely anyone on the servers. Most of the servers show 0/16. But I don't have that problem when I play bad company 2 on pc.

grvalderrama said:

captaincranky said:

And the upshot of this is ......?

This is the upshot: I downloaded the game, SP was great and I'm proud I did it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

This is the upshot: I downloaded the game, SP was great and I'm proud I did it.

I don't letTomSEA hear you say that.

As long as used games can be sold and bought I don't see a reason to feel like pirating is theft.

I also agree if a demo is released of a game and I enjoy it I am 100% likely to purchase it.

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

Once a thief, always a thief.

I knew you couldn't hold back :P

Call of Duty: Black Ops rakes in over $1 billion

For trash, the people who didnt buy this game im sure d/l it found out it was not worth $60+, deleted it and moved on to a game worth playing.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

TomSEA said:

I knew you couldn't hold back :P

yes...but brilliantly stated.

ramonsterns said:

I see a problem here.

Pirating =/= Stealing

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And the "Arrrrghy" goes to, whoever pirates the game, and then has the good taste to shut up about it.

You really are a tedious bunch. You download the game, and then proceed annoy everybody that hasn't, with endless justifications for your behaviour. Steal it, don't steal it, why does that matter to us? Are you bragging, complaining, trying to burden us with your guilt, prove how clever you are, or are you just chronic boors?

And then there's the faction on the side of righteousness. Listen, you're never going to change the behaviour of these little sociopaths one iota. Save you breath.

The internet provides a modicum of anonymity, which is why you all so boldly profess your actions(stealing). I doubt a one of you would have the balls to walk into a retail outlet and actually pocket a game and walk out with it. Why?, because you would wind up in the back of a squad car.

Here's what's going to happen. Soon, the gaming industry, like the music industry did, is going to track several of you down and make examples out of you. You'll look funny sitting in a court room facing perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fines for illegally downloading and distributing games. Games which took hundreds of people thousands of hours to create. People who have families to feed and so therefor depend on their jobs. Your complete ignorance of the bigger picture is simply mind boggling, and your sad and pathetic excuses for your actions seem like they were dreamed up by 8 year old children.