ASRock becomes third-largest motherboard brand in 2010

By on January 27, 2011, 3:28 PM
ASRock had a strong showing in 2010, surpassing its elder rivals MSI and ECS in shipments to become the third-largest motherboard brand. The company moved two million branded motherboards in the fourth quarter of 2010 and eight million for the year, ahead of the seven million shipped by MSI and ECS (excluding OEM orders). Sticking true to its roots, a vast majority of ASRock's boards were entry-level products priced around $50.

Naturally, Asus and Gigabyte maintained their positions as the first and second largest motherboard makers, shipping 21.6 million and 18 million branded units, respectively. Despite their grasp on the market, both companies failed to meet internal expectations. Asus fell a few million units short of its 25 million unit goal, while Gigabyte closed 2010 with lower-than-expected profits (mostly due to increased competition from Asus).

Looking ahead, ASRock expects shipments to grow by up to 5% in the first quarter of 2011 and aims to move nine million units by the year's end. Asus expects a 5% growth in annual shipments, setting its sights on 22.7 million units, while Gigabyte plans to move between 18 and 18.5 million motherboards.

princeton princeton said:

Well asrock is owned by ASUS so Asus has a bigger lead then these numbers show.

Cueto_99 said:

It's no surprise to see asrock on third place, lately they've been pushing out some really well balanced mobos... I won't deny I used to see them as the cheapo, not reliable brand, but I'm starting to change my perspective...

It's still a separate brand, Princeton.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

As more traditional chipset features move to being a function of the CPU, motherboards of a particular platform will now generally operate at or near the same level of performance, so the differentiators become build quality, support and feature set.

ASRock at present probably offer the best feature set for the price and their build quality/stability are on par with the traditional tier one vendors so hardly surprising that they are increasing marketshare. Pushing into markets neglected by the big three raises their profile considerably.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I have started to use these when they began using the Dura Cap polymer/Nippon-chemicon Caps. not a bad MB at all.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

I've been very happy with my A780GXE/128MB and M3A780GXH. I am a strong believer in ASRock now.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Still, there is no denying that Asus is making a lot of money. If this list was to be published in numbers, i.e. "the MB-manufacturer which earns the most cold-hard cash"-list, I reckon Asus would come out top of the list in no time.

cpjose said:

nice ASRock!!! keep up the good work

I may start considering using an ASRock board now... always was a little wary.

ASUS is still my go-to brand. Probably always will be. Love their products.