AMD lowers prices on Phenom II X4 and X6 processors

By on February 2, 2011, 5:45 PM
AMD has finally added the Phenom II X4 840, 975 Black Edition, and X6 1065T to its price list. The processors were first introduced in January and although they've appeared in various hardware reviews, none have been available at the retail level. The 3.2GHz X4 840 serves as AMD's entry-level quad-core Phenom II processor, except it's based on the Propus core found in Athlon II products. As such, it features 4x512K L2 cache, no L3 cache, a 95W TDP, and AMD has set a list price of $105, just above the 3GHz Althon II X4 640.

The Phenom II X4 975 BE has the usual trimmings of a quad-core Phenom II: 45nm Deneb cores, 4x512K L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache, 125W TDP. At 3.6GHz, the X4 975 BE is AMD's fastest quad-core processor, and being a Black Edition chip, it's prime for overclocking with an unlocked multiplier. The new addition is priced at $195, or about $15 more than the 3.5GHz Phenom II X4 970 BE. Meanwhile, the Thuban-based 2.9GHz Phenom II X6 1065T is now AMD's quickest sub-100W hexa-core processor, and it's listed for $185.

Model Cores Frequency Old Price New Price Change
Phenom II X4 840 4 3.2GHz N/A $105 N/A
Phenom II X4 955 BE 4 3.2GHz $145 $135 -6.9%
Phenom II X4 965 BE 4 3.4GHz $165 $155 -6.1%
Phenom II X4 970 BE 4 3.5GHz $185 $175 -5.4%
Phenom II X4 975 BE 4 3.6GHz N/A $195 N/A
Phenom II X6 1055T 6 2.8GHz $199 $175 -12.1%
Phenom II X6 1065T 6 2.9GHz N/A $185 N/A
Phenom II X6 1075T 6 3.0GHz $199 $195 -2%
Phenom II X6 1090T BE 6 3.2GHz $235 $205 -12.8%
Phenom II X6 110T BE 6 3.3GHz $265 $239 -9.8%

In addition to listing its latest arrivals, AMD has lowered prices on its existing Phenom II X4 and X6 processors -- though X2 models haven't been touched. The Phenom II X4 955 BE and 965 BE have been reduced by roughly 6% to their new $135 and $155 price points, while the X4 970 BE is $10 cheaper at $175. The X6 1055T and 1075T are now $175 and $195, both down from $199. Meanwhile, AMD's Black Edition hexa-core processors, the X6 1090T BE and 1100T BE, have been cut to $205 and $239, respectively.

princeton princeton said:

It's not like they really had a choice. Bulldozer is official vaporware and sandy bridge is doing good despite the Sata issue.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Saw this the other day on Bulldozer. AMD reps are insisting there's no delay (of course). I'll believe it when I see it:

[link]

DokkRokken said:

With a 955 for $135, you could build a very potent system for cheap. It's just a shame that's one of the few redeeming qualities left to buy an AMD cpu.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Looks like it's for real, newegg is already reflecting the new prices ... in fact the X6 1090T is listed at $199.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

DokKRokken said:

Agreed.... Running an AMD Phenom 965 at 4.1 now, I realise that its still nowhere close to even performing like my i5 760 on stock, let alone the OC to 4.2 Ghz.

I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in AMD machines.

princeton princeton said:

hamsteyr said:

DokKRokken said:

I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in AMD machines.

Why did you go from an i5 to a phenom II?

DokkRokken said:

Princeton said:

hamsteyr said:

DokKRokken said:

I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in AMD machines.

Why did you go from an i5 to a phenom II?

I'd assume, no, hope, the AMD is a second machine. :P

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Princeton said:

hamsteyr said:

DokKRokken said:

I'm starting to lose a lot of confidence in AMD machines.

Why did you go from an i5 to a phenom II?

Probably the other way around considering the 760 came out ~11 months after the 965.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Yep, it is the second machine. Consider as well that the 970 and it's newer counterparts don't even match up to the i5 760 on steroids.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Princeton said:

How so? 1155's have been pulled off the market... Don't see how you could think they are doing well. 700million dollar hit to revenue is not doing well, and they won't be back on the market until late february - early march from what I've read.

Regenweald said:

Princeton said:

Every 6 series chipset on the planet has been recalled and replacements are expected in 6 weeks. No motherboards are being sold, all laptops have been recalled. With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in. Please do explain how this equates "doing well"

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Princeton probably means- and I stand to be corrected...

Number of AM3r2 boards sold = 0

Number of LGA1155 boards sold = something less than 8 million....but somewhat more than 0

Of the boards sold, I haven't heard of anyone desperate to RMA their board. Have you?, Have you heard of any LGA1155 boards going belly up because of the chipset fault ?

If had to guess, I'd say that most people would be quite happy to use their board until they receive notification of their B3 step RMA replacement, so "With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in" sounds rather alarmist in the extreme...but then, that was the intention wasn't it.

So while the situation is very far from ideal, I doubt it ranks full-blown disaster status...unless of course you're some mean spirited AMD-centric forum member who delights in seeing misfortune strike Intel and the people who use their products. If you're not sure if this actually occurs please let me know...I'm sure I could dredge up some examples for you to compare.

Conversely, Princeton may have been referring to the generally positive reviews (both from tech sites and users) garnered by the CPU and the platform...Such as this one today for instance, or maybe this one

Saintnsinner said:

Princeton said:

Can you please tell me where you read the reviews on the new bulldozer core. I would like to see the specs.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

dividebyzero said:

Princeton probably means- and I stand to be corrected...

Number of AM3r2 boards sold = 0

Still, $700 million for a recall is worse than "less ideal."

And besides, Princeton isn't an Intel lover. He's just an AMD basher.

Jurassic4096 said:

Asus to keep its Sandy Bridge MBs on market

[link]

princeton princeton said:

sarcasm said:

dividebyzero said:

Princeton probably means- and I stand to be corrected...

Number of AM3r2 boards sold = 0

Still, $700 million for a recall is worse than "less ideal."

And besides, Princeton isn't an Intel lover. He's just an AMD basher.

It's nice to know you only skimmed over DBZ's post. I'll reiterate what I meant and what he so kindly elaborated on.

Regardless of the recall most people aren't rushing to bring in their new mobo. Also could you tell me of the fantastic bulldozer sale numbers to compete with sandy bridge's? Oh wait, there aren't any.

It MAY cost intel $700 million. That number is inflated to say that if everyone who bought a sandy bridge system brought it back it would cost them that much. It won't cost them that much because lots of people aren't going to care. Anyone using multiple drives is going to use them with SATA 6 exclusively. And honestly after 3 years, you should be looking towards upgrading anyways.

princeton princeton said:

Uh that's the point. Bulldozer is non existent vaporware until AMD can demonstrate a production chip.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So you really think they are not working on anything new that could battle on the top with new procs?

Its like when Fermi was announced every fanboy out there was saying since day 1 "wait until fermi arrives" it was actually funny =P

Ok... I'll take your side and compete between last gen intel procesors and bulldozer, since bulldozer is non-existant then you are really an AMD basher whats the point in repeating that? And over and over again...

Arris Arris said:

jurassic4096 said:

Asus to keep its Sandy Bridge MBs on market

[link]

Had now been updated that they won't be continuing to sell their boards.

Update:

Asus was kind enough to give us their official statement regarding the issue and, according to Asus, the previous statements are not true and all motherboards are officially being pulled from the market. Those that have already bought Asus' Sandy Bridge motherboards will get a replacement once those become available. You can find all the RMA info here.

Thankfully I finally have some RMA info for my own Asus P8P67 Pro board...

princeton princeton said:

I love how instead of trying to disprove what I say all you guys can say is U R AMD BASHER! Do you guys just have lots of AMD shares? It's also a funny coincidence that most if not all the people saying that haven't reached 100 posts.

edison5do said:

Seriusly.... you people are Comparing a NON EXINTEN CPU with a CPU whose COMPANION HAS A FAULTY LEG.?? for god sake stop doing pointless comparisons betwen Stuff that dont even Exist!!.

And dont act like its the end of the world for intel just because a bug, AMD always have them (Note That Im a AMD / ATI User), Toyota call all the 2009 and 2010 Models because of a "BUG" , and Still there (NOTE THAT CARS ARE lots more expensive that any luxury sistem.!

Please just read and behave, control your felling of love/hate for those companies.

Chazz said:

This is a ridiculous arguement. I could say that AMD's current processors are doing well and Ivy Bridge is currently vaporware and make just as much sense.

As for the article, these price cuts are making AMD's current offer really intriguing for budget systems that pack quite a punch. Despite the consensus, AMD's 6 cores are pretty good and to have that power at these prices are damn good.

Regenweald said:

What's really funny here is that AM3+ boards have been mentioned in comparison to Sandy Bridge in the comments by Intel fans, in an article about AM3 processors being released.

DokkRokken said:

I am a bit surprised 'AMD fans' are happy that customers of Intel's offerings have to potentially return their products, or accept a potential performance loss and/or fault. Then again, plenty of Intel fans made fun of Phenom X4 users for the TLB bug, among other things. Karma, I guess, but still totally moronic. Real enthusiasts would actually feel bad for those who bought P67's because it's lousy being on the butt-end of something like this.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Still, $700 million for a recall is worse than "less ideal."

True to an extent. If most companys had to take a $700m (which will probably end up closer to $1bn) charge, then it could destroy them financially.

Intel just posted a net profit of $11.7bn, thats $11,700,000,000 for 2010, so I would tend to view the loss (and subsequent lessening of buying public's faith in the product) in relative terms in much the same way that most of us would view a Bugatti Veyron as vastly expensive- but could be viewed as pocket-change by Carlos Slim Helú

And besides, Princeton isn't an Intel lover. He's just an AMD basher.So who's really surprised to see him say bad stuff about AMD anyway? I'm used to it already.

An element of truth there also I think. Doesn't alter the facts that 1. he is relatively sound footing with his assessment (in this case), and 2. it's more a case of "politics makes strange bedfellows", since my post was in response to a serial FUD spreaders continued ill-worded and ill-thought out posting. Regenweald's postings present what is generally known as a "target rich enviroment"- and it gets tiresome having to read some bloggers recycled hatemail, so why not have a little sport at a trolls expense? Its results certainly have made a positive difference in the overall quality of forums where trolling gets called out for what it is.

Thankfully I finally have some RMA info for my own Asus P8P67 Pro board...

Hopefully the RMA process doesn't leave you out of pocket and the B3 stepping board ships with some added performance gains ( more mature BIOS and driver set, tweaked I/O throughput etc.). The board/cpu combo you have seem to be posting some very nice numbers judging by your benchmarking thread.

princeton princeton said:

chazz said:

Ivy bridge isn't supposed to be out. Bulldozer should have been released back in 2010. So no it isn't ridiculous.

Oh and if you were to say AMD's current processors were doing well compared to intel's you'd be insane.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I'm not. Schadenfreude is the basis for a lot, if not most of the forums.

It is amazing how AMD has been able to milk the living hell out of the K8/K10 architecture and still retain a good portion of the market. Other than that..not so much.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Unfortunately, you may be suffering from "gamer tunnel vision".

While it's true that enthusiast users can spot a bargain, Intel rules in the big picture. There's a lot more going on in the IT venue than "Crysis".

For example, AMD has to drop its pants on some quad core parts, just to make themselves look better in benchmarks, than the lowly "Core i3-540", which BTW, will do most of the same s*** with 60% of the electricity.

But, in the real world, Intel has reputation, brand recognition, and quality parts. Call a Prescott P-4 anything you want, say what you like about its performance, but at the end of the day, it'll outlast a couple dozen pairs of Wranglers.

Every time any manufacturer suffers a setback such as this, a bunch of histrionic "chicken littles", (mostly hyperactive forum rats). start shouting, the sky is falling, this is the end of ((whomever)"!

Seagate survived their hiccup, despite all the pettiness BS, and threatened lawsuits, and I'm fairly certain Intel will too.

Since everybody's always mentioning "price vs performance" with respect to AMD. Keep in mind that if AMD actually does start getting ahead of them, Intel has the money to hire all their engineers.

So the "does this mean I have to return my motherboard" whine, is coming from a whole lot smaller segment of the market, than one might delude oneself into thinking it is.

Chazz said:

Princeton said:

A delay equals vaporware then?So intel's 22nm SSDs should be considered vaporware? Sadly I've been waiting on those...I guess I can throw sense out of the window and buy an SSD right now. I guess Fermi was also Vaporware. Crysis 2? How about light peak?

Pixel Qi is something quickly approaching the vaporware title, not a product that has been delayed two quarters.

Unfortunately, you may be suffering from "gamer tunnel vision".

I think you may have confused my statement. I have no reason to believe that the price cut will do anything relatively good for AMD. This is for someone, like myself, who loves to build computers. I could build a very nice fourth PC for very cheap and still have it pack quite the punch. I'll be waiting to see what bulldozer offers and then compare that with the 2011 SB socket cpus for my main rig.

princeton princeton said:

Chazz said:

Uh pixel Qi is out. People have been recieving the Notion Ink ADAM with it for over a month. Also the delay LENGTH is what can make it be considered that. The iphone 4 in white has been delayed for around a year now. And it won Wired's Vaporware 2010.

Oh BTW bulldozer should have been out more than just 2 quarters ago. It was announced by AMD during its annual Analyst Day in November 2009

Sorry chazz. However I do admire you moving away from other people who simply say "AMD BASHAR!!11!ONE!"

Chazz said:

Ya, I'm aware that it's out. But it's JUST barely out. There is hardly any support for it. That's very underwhelming for the amount of time and hype they've put out. It's mostly a DIY product and they only support one form factor, if I recall correctly.

princeton princeton said:

Chazz said:

Oh obviously it'll fail. But at least we got to see it.

AMD's lowering of prices does nothing..

For those of you who have gone through Sandy Bridge Mobile reviews. You may already know what I mean.

To others:-

the mobile Sandy Bridge quad core clocked at 2.3GHz, 8MB L3, 45W TDP beats the Phenom II X4 everywhere and also the Phenom II X6 in many many spots.

Here:-

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Stacraft 2 is vaporware too... say what? 10 years waiting? No I think it was a bit more... anyhow.

No one is stating that a phenom x6 is better than an i7, NO ONE and I have read the whole thread (To my disgust) so I doubt anyone here can be called an amd fanboy or stock holder in any way.

The main issue is your statement Princeton, where you bash (It cant be called different) amd by comparing a last gen Intel procesor with something that doesnt even exists yet. Read that phrase a couple of times and please tell me how can you not be called a basher, and how am I supossed to be a fanboy, or better yet how someones opinion who doesnt have 100 posts is not valid (Specially this point makes you kind of a...) or less valid than yours.

What I have and will say is pretty much what have been described, intel rocks on high end computer and we have seen it so far no one can say the opposite, but on low-mid (Consider mid a Radeon 6850, a high 6970 and low maybe a 5570, actually dont know their nvidias counterparts havent investigated that so far so dont call me a fanboy I just rather not make a fool of myself) AMD wins the price/performance range.

I did a lot of research on now-a-days procs before buying mine and those are my conclusions.

Zaim said:

Cool, I did notice the prices drop a bit on the current line. The 1055t is now available for £135 which is great.

I think these are good prices for the performance they offer.It's just stupid when I see hundreds of people on youtube, showing-off their 2K$ Intel machines, and they just don't do anything on them, apart from reading mails, listen some music, and watch 2 movies per month.Hey, a simple dual-core is enough to satisfy even moderate gaming, so with a six core at 200bucks you can do just about anything blazing fast.

princeton princeton said:

I just rather not make a fool of myself) AMD wins the price/performance range.

Well sorry to say but those two statements contradict each other. Sandy bridge wins in price-performance. Hate to burst your bubble but factoring in power usage and performance per dollar AMD is behind. This is shown in reviews such as

[link]

[link]

[link]

[link]

[link]

Anyway I'm just going to skip past your future posts because it's obvious all you can do is call me a basher instead of providing evidence to back up your claim and I don't feel like arguing with someone basing what little argument they have off of articles they read in 2009.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You sure took your time there haha, anyhow... I'm sort of tired trying to make you realize you are comparing oranges to pears but ok its cool. The funny thing is you still cant realize it.

Edit: And that is why people started calling you a basher.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

NO ONE and I have read the whole thread (To my disgust) so I doubt anyone here can be called an amd fanboy.

Then I'd suggest you simply glossed over post # 12.

Fact: LGA1155 boards are still being sold- moreover, they are selling reasonably well, as has been documented around the net. I myself have a 2500K/P8P67 Pro/HD6950 build to do for a customer that I proposed for him a couple of weeks back. He's more than happy to go ahead with the build now- so long as I swap the board over when the courier arrives at his door to deliver the B3 replacement and uplift the B2 board he is being shipped now.

Computer Lounge (Probably New Zealand's largest component etail/retailer)

Overclockers.co.uk (probably needs no introduction)

And a selection of European etail/retail options

So yet we have another broken train of logic built on a foundation of assumption:

Sandy Bridge's chipset/motherboard B2 stepping is halted and in line for recall/replacement once B3 stepping boards become available. Fact.

From that we end up with " inherent defect which may cause SATA controller breakage in a percentage of boards" being spun into "there is no device that the processor can work in" Yeah?

Newegg and most of the larger etailers pull LGA1155 boards rather than eat RMA shipping costs in a couple of months or ( or possibly leave themselves open for litigation for selling defective goods by some ambulance chaser), while a myriad of specialist/enthusiast outlets continue to sell the product that then gets spun into "Every 6 series chipset on the planet has been recalled"

So from my viewpoint, I'd have to say AMD fanboy/Intel hater, troll or less than knowledgeable bandwagon jumper. I gather you're leaning towards option 2 or 3.

I'd have to say horses for courses. I built a full desktop system for my son whose budget was limited. Our only course was AMD, and came in on a budget of $500 for everything. My budget and requirements are a bit more expansive and I've spent $1500 on an i5 2500k system which blows his out of the water in every respect except price. But my graphics card, mobo and chip exceed his budget without even putting them in a case or having a PSU.

The new SB series is changing the value for money curve, although not as much as I'd first hoped, given the lockdown on OC in the H67 chipset. As for the SATA issue, Intel remember the Pentium 4 disaster, which was worsened by denying the problem. Accepting it and taking the hit will be cheaper for them in the long run.

The final point? Define your needs precisely, or your budget to the dollar. That will tell you where your money should go.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If you havent read too much about it and you stumble upon latest news about recall and how intel is estimating a 700 million impact (And this isn't about how many people will return things, is about retailers having to give back every notebook, mobos and what not back), I wouldnt find it good news either.

The whole idea about forums and threads is to be able to learn, comment and discuss what you find valid/invalid until someone differs from it and gives his point of view. And in #12 the question is pretty valid, unless now someone is labeled a fanboy for asking how things equates to "being good".

Mizzou Mizzou said:

This clearly has an adverse impact on the launch of Sandy Bridge but the manner in which it is being handled by Intel is quite refreshing. In a couple of months the Sandy Bridge train will be rolling again and barring any further complications this event will be viewed as a blip on the radar.

While there are a number of valid points in post #12 the assertion that no motherboards are being sold in such absolute terms will draw a lot of attention on any forum.

There are a number of places that are still selling both Sandy Bridge processors and motherboards, for example here's the Intel Core i7-2600K and an

ASUS P8H67-M PRO both in stock and for sale on Amazon.

Leeky Leeky said:

From OCUK, on every LGA1155 motherboard product page:

- Potential Sandybridge issue:

- In some cases, motherboards featuring the 6 Series Chipset (P67 & H67) that have Sata devices connected to ports 2-5 could potentially degrade over time.

- Motherboards with devices connected to Ports 0 & 1 remain unaffected or using the 6Gb/s ports.

- Please note if your board is affected by the above issues, your statutory rights remain to RMA the board.

- Tests have found that under 5% of boards are affected.

- PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO POTENTIAL ISSUE TO SANDYBRIDGE PROCESSORS

They're still selling them, and given the way Intel are dealing with this, if I was in the market for one I'd still buy it.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The "question" in post #12 is purely rhetorical (if you needed the hint, note the lack of "?" . And the point of my post is not about what "point of view" the poster has- unless "point of view" equates, in your terminology to fabricating "facts" to bolster your argument

...unless now someone is labeled a fanboy for asking how things equates to "being good".

Er, no. I label someone a fanboy (or a troll for that matter) when their post is made up of four sentances, of which three (that's 75% of the post BTW) are quite blatantly bs, and the fourth is a statement asking the reader to form an opinion on the three previous false statements.

1.Every 6 series chipset on the planet has been recalled and replacements are expected in 6 weeks.

2.No motherboards are being sold, all laptops have been recalled.

3.With no chipset, there is no device that the processor can work in.

4.Please do explain how this equates "doing well"

[SARCASM] You obviously find absolutely nothing wrong with posting delusive comments and the spreading of FUD should be a function of this sites forum- I certainly hope you are in the minority because taking out the garbage is not my favourite chore [/SARCASM]