GeoHot raps about Sony PS3 hacking lawsuit, video inside

By on February 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
It seems that PlayStation 3 jailbreaker George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, isn't too pleased that Sony took away his hardware. Apparently he has decided to vent his anger in a rap song (video embedded below, MP3 available at MultiUpload) as part of The Light It Up Contest.

Sony's legal attacks against the hackers that released the PS3 root key and custom firmware began last month. The group known as fail0verflow is accused of posting a rudimentary hack in December 2010 after finding security codes for the PS3. It was refined by GeoHot weeks later when he independently found and published the PS3 root key. The resulting hacks allow homebrew apps and pirated software to run on unmodified consoles. Sony is still threatening to sue anybodyposting or distributing PS3 jailbreak code, and that a federal judge order Google and Twitter to surrender details of anyone who looks at the illegal content. This is despite the fact that Sony accidentally tweeted the PlayStation 3 security key earlier this week.

We're wondering if it might make more sense for Sony Computer Entertainment to withdraw the lawsuit and have Sony BMG Music Entertainment sign the guy instead. What do you think? If you didn't catch everything he said, check out the lyrics below, taken from the video's description, in which GeoHot also says "Sony you got some rappers signed, right? Come at me bro" and "Shouts to Heretic East for the beat, Street Light for the contest, Karmaloop Codes for sponsoring the contest, and SCEA for suing me":

Yo it's geohot
And for those that don't know
I'm getting sued by Sony

Let's take this out of the courtroom and into the streets
I'm a beast, at the least, you'll face me in the northeast
Get my ire up, light my fire
I'll go harder than Eminem went at Mariah
Call me a liar
Pound me in the ass with no lube, chafing
You're fucking with the dude who got the keys to your safe and
Those that can't do bring suits
Cry to your Uncle Sam to settle disputes
Thought you'd tackle this with a little more tact
But then again fudgepackers, I don't know Jack

I shed a tear everytime I think of Lik Sang
But shit man, they're a corporation
And I'm a personification of freedom for all
You fill dockets, like thats a concept foreign to y'all
While lawyers muddy water and TROs stall
Out of business is jail for me
And you're suing me civilly

Exhibit this in the courtroom
Go on, do it, I dare you

princeton princeton said:

IT ALL MAKES SENSE! Geohot leaked the ps3 root key to jump start his rise to fame as a rapper! How did we not see it?

:P

yRaz yRaz said:

I'd buy his EP

Cota Cota said:

For me GeoHot has felled from a good defender of the technological rights of owners vs the big greedy companies, to a tard that just wants attention, Chris Pirillo is more up in my list than you, and i hate that guy.

btw tank you for all the time my bro couldn't play in my PS3, he has been really happy filling it watching tv......

What a baby. He maliciously hacks a company's product; intentionally harming them and a sleu of other companies, then whines about being sued? He deserves it.

princeton princeton said:

So I'm guessing you used the word maliciously without knowing what it means.

g4mer said:

LOL he looks funny...His rap is not bad.

princeton said:

"So I'm guessing you used the word maliciously without knowing what it means. "

Sorry, I meant to say "innocently".

princeton princeton said:

princeton said:

"So I'm guessing you used the word maliciously without knowing what it means. "

Sorry, I meant to say "innocently".

Yah, I thought it would be more like that :P. Though you could definitely say the codes he released are being used for malicious purposes.

I guess he hacked those rhymes too...!!! He is a thief and a scum to society...worthless matter taking up space. Douche like these mess things up for law abiding game-loving citizens who are willing to pay for their games and who appreciates the developers for such work of arts.

I guess he thinks he's a big bad-***** now huh? Go making rap song/video...Well guess what Geo-H.. U just blacklisted yourself an dont even realize it.

myrmidonks myrmidonks said:

^ works for sony?

Wow.

What a complete ****.

lol

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Does this retard have a brain at all?

He's a IT geniuous freeking out all big companies with overpriced products - can't protect their systems.....

As for me - boicot Sony......too bad Apple didn't take them over

viva la Revolution. Fu@K $ony

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The lyrics display some deep seated issues he needs to resolve.

You guys are a bunch of retards!!! Sony violated every single one of it's customers when they disabled operating systems such as Linux to oporate on the ps3. Why should I not be able to isntall nintendo, sega or atari ROMS on my ps3?

GeoHot did not start piracy of ps3 games on the ps3. What he did was allow people to use their ps3 as they feel like? Why is it wrong for one to be able to save your game onto ur hard drive like on an xbox? Who should be punish are those that use this code "maliciously" to pirate games and gain trophies that they did not earn!

Freedom to the people and the devices that they own! And punishment to those that illegally abuse this freedom!

Prosercunus said:

Retards? Really? Sony did not violate any consumer rights, the only thing they violated were a few crybabies feelings. What is with today's generation? They have some sort of delusion that they are owed more then they are. Don't get me wrong, Sony is being kind of a jerk on some of the stuff they do, but the other side is so much more distasteful.

aj_the_kidd said:

gwailo247 said:

The lyrics display some deep seated issues he needs to resolve.

If Sony drops the lawsuit i would imagine his issues will be resolved

biggabarr said:

biggabarr said:

you are a hater just because the man is smarter than you are , as long as there is poor there will be smart people not like you would know that.

Geohot is publishing cfw ala jailbreak on the iphone which is 100% legal - hes not telling people to pirate, thats individuals choice.

Hero who raps - awesome dude

Funny thing is that most of the people bitching own iphones. Without geohot you wouldnt have an iphone or a jailbreak or if you have tmobile or any otehr company you wouldnt have had any of it. **** the haters. If i buy something I want to own it. You cant tell me what to do with it. If i buy a ps3 I can do w.e the **** I want with it. I can throw it across the room. O wait sonys gonna sue me if a break their precious console.

Actually Prosercunus Sony did violate laws. When I bought the ps3 the deciding factor in me buying it over the 360 was the fact I could install linux and run a server on it... that's it, that was why I bought it. Of course I still like my games so I thought this was perfect, when not in use for games I could run a server. Then Sony decides to take that feature (which is something they advertised and the reason I bought it) away under threat of not playing online and playing new games. There are multiple laws that are meant to protect consumers from this type of action. It would be no different to buy a car and the deciding factor was a feature that was later remotely removed. Now you no longer want or need the car but can't get your money back, and have no real recourse except to try and turn that feature back on for yourself.

So you do, and are now being sued. Advertised features should not be removed from those who bought a product for said features. I still believe the Judge was paid off but even still $ony will lose. Sony lost all respect from me. I will tell you what Sony is doing right now is downright stupid. If they win (I doubt it though) which is a long shot, they will still screw themselves over. What George and everyone else was doing, was done in the open. Everyone including Sony had all the source code provided and information provided about how the security was cracked. Everything they needed to do to fix the problem was handed to them on a silver platter. However they think that suing everyone involved and even people who simply watched videos about it is going to scare off future talent from hacking their system again (and future systems)... let me tell you they are not scared they will simply stop posting the information publicly.

Right now information is being traded in private instead of publicly. When new software is done instead of being posted on a blog with all information about it provided, it will be posted online in a manner to conceal the identity of the creator and everyone will redistribute it making sure it can't be taken down. I for one am tired of Sony and this is the last straw. They like to steal **** and claim it as their own and profit off of it (like the vibration feature that caused themselves to be sued and had to settle it out of court because they knew they were in the wrong) then they install root kits on music cd's opening people's computers to intrusions, and now this (and a new rootkit for the console). I'm done and since the life of the playstation division I have spent thousands on Sony products, not just the consoles. But I'm done. Jailbreaking is legal, even if this case is decided in favor of Sony I will continue to support jailbreaking as a legal past time. Laws that go against rights are void in my eyes.

hahahaha lol come on thats funny... Go B-rabbit (he was comparing himself to Eminem soo...) and btw KID thank you =)

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at last thank God almighty free at last.

P.S. Guys im still waiting a guy to hack the Nagra 3

Richy2k9 said:

hello...

LOL, yeah so true .. if we buy his record he may get the money to pay SONY & his lawyer :P

anyway, i feel sad for him, he is a great hacker, who now wants justice because he did break the law & now doesn't want to face consequences.

why do i have the feeling that he didn't write the lyric & maybe not even his voice we are hearing ... !!!?

let's check the formulae here.

PS3 with Linux = Great gaming console / HD multimedia player & Linux server

PS3+Linux+GeoHotz = hack & crack

SONY + Fight back (being a bit stupid here i admit)= PS3 -Linux

GeoHotz + Fight back = Hack PS3 + Release to public

SONY + Fight Back x 2= Update PS3 FW + Threaten GeoHotz

GeoHotz + Fight back x 2 = Find PS3 root key + add other hackers to the list + publish to the public.

In the End i can see too many SONY / GeoHotz / PS3 & Fight back in those sentences, bad mix .. would make a bad rap & our beloved VP may tweet this wrong :P ... Sorry i remain a big fan of the KB .

WE OWN THE RIGHT TO USE ANY HARDWARE/SOFTWARE, BUT NOT THE PATENT / CONCEPT OR RIGHT TO REPRODUCE OR REVERSE ENGINEER !!!! Is that hard to understand ...

GeoHotz, you need to see a specialist ... this is getting worst, good luck dude!

still, i kinda liked the rap :P & Happy valentine's day !

cheers!

Oh boy, the old arguments keep popping up...

"We bought our PS3s and should be able to do what we want with them". WRONG. Most software (especially OS's) isn't sold to the general public. You buy a license to use it, not own it. You agree to these terms when you install/use it so don't cry about it afterwards if you are too dumb to read the T&C.

"It's not GeoHot's fault if people use his methods to pirate games". WRONG. There is only one reason he released the keys and means to crack the protection on the PS3 - so people can run software they haven't purchased via authorised legal channels. Consider this... Fisherprice sells a toy land mine that blows childrens legs off. Is it their fault if people decide to use it?

"He only did it because Sony took away Linux". WRONG. He released the proof of concept on using the 'Other OS' feature as a back door to bypass the security on the PS3. The only way Sony could stop this and the harm it would do to the console was to remove the feature. GeoHot got upset he might lose online fans as we all know it was his fault that feature got removed. He threw his toys out of his pram and only has himself to blame for that. I loved the 'other OS' feature and liked being able to use PSUbuntu on my PS3 but if removing that feature helps prevent the death of software development on it, I can live with that.

"Corporations like Sony make too much money from the PS3 anyway". WRONG. The costs in developing the Cell CPU and the manufacturing of the PS3 hardware was phenomenal. As with the majority of games consoles made, the consoles themselves were sold at a loss with the intention of making up the money on software sales. If you allow people to pirate games then you have lost that software revenue and the hardware price either goes up to compensate, or you get nothing but cheapo shovelware released on it, or the console dies. Sony have only recently gone into the black with the PS3 due to huge development costs, and I don't want to see it killed off by thieving kiddie scripters who think the world owes them free games.

Here's a thought... Try spending a few years developing software yourself with the aim of making some profit to provide for your family. Then have someone come along and give copies of it away for free. It doesn't feel very good.

hitech0101 said:

Good rap for a guy being sued.

...These devices become ours the moment we pay for them and take them home. NO, and I repeat NO amount of abstract bantering or paperwork will change that. I am SICK and TIRED of people being walked all over and milked for money by buying devices with strangleholds built-in by design.

Don't ever tell me what to do with my own stuff. If you want that kind of control over the product, go down to your factory line, grab a few and put them in a bulletproof case surrounded by sharks with lasers.

You make sense! And I completely agree!

If I buy something that does EVERYTHING, I want it to continue to do everything! F'n Sony are a bunch of losers! I don't even need an additional OS on my PS3 but it pisses me off that I can't do it now! And now I want to put Linux on it! Just to at LEAST get the internet browsers to work right!

It's just like saying, "I paid to watch this movie at the cinema, so I should be able to record it or download a copy of it at home". NO! That isn't what you paid for and would make you thieving scum.

Or, "I paid for this CD of music so I should be able to hassle the artist and demand they give me their autograph". NO! That would make you an annoying stalker.

Or, "I paid for her dinner and her night out so I should be able to fondle her fun bags". NO! That would make you an evil rapist.

If you don't like them having to remove the 'Other OS' feature then I suggest you moan at GeoHot. It is his fault.

I think it's total open season on Sony. No one should have any guilt if they are targeting that company in any way they deem fit. Enjoy the feast on that corporate carcass - they are dying out anyway. Apple or Microsoft can buy this clowns outfit for loose change now days. But then again who wants to buy a company with the smell of Sony attached to it?

If I purchase a computer from IBM I am within my rights to load whatever I want on it, change the O/S play with the firmware - whatever. Its my computer. Sony advertised the PS3 that way... they said it was a computer, a home entertainment system not just a video console. Now they want to take that back and make up a whole bunch of new conditions. Sorry but consumers dont like being pushed around and I think Sony is really working hard to earn the worst name in consumer electronics. They are going to regret this. In the end consumers have the money and we just dont want to spend it on Sony anymore...

your wrong, Geohot didnt break the law, his CFW didnt even support back up managers well, it wasnt even ment for pirating, it was ment for bringing Lenix back to the ps3, the people who broke the law are the ones who created the CFW that supported Pirating, which Geohots didnt, i can name a bunch, Kmeaw, Wanky and REDCFW

QUOTE - "If I purchase a computer from IBM I am within my rights to load whatever I want on it, change the O/S play with the firmware - whatever" - QUOTE

That is completely different as anyone with basic knowledge of computer history will know. IBM did not patent their BIOS and used no proprietary parts in their original PCs. This meant that it was legally okay for companies to reverse engineer their BIOS through a technique called 'clean room design'. They could legally reproduce the IBM PC and create their own compatible machines. This is why the market filled with competition, and anybody and everybody could build an IBM compatible PC.

Here ends todays lesson.

QUOTE : Quit ya moaning. You don't OWN the firmware in the PS3. You don't OWN the operating system on it. You OWN a license to use it so long as you abide by the rules you agreed to.

So you tell me to "quit ya moaning" all "ya" want. Meanwhile I will do what I please with my stuff.

Step off.

QUOTE : Alright. Let me tell YOU something. I will abide by the "don't pirate our games/software" crap- HOWEVER... I OWN every atom of that machine I paid for. I don't give one crap about some "liscense". That is a rule made by someone and its a pattern of ink squiggled on paper somewhere. The arrangement of matter that is- in this case- a PS3 sitting in my home is MINE and I don't care what anyone in a corporate office or in another deskchair like YOU tell me. This "arrangement of atoms" includes the teensie-weensie patterns in that ROM/ on that HDD that make up that firmware that locked everyone out of using Linux on it at some suits behest.

Step off.

----

You do own the hardware you paid for. But if you want access to Sony's servers then you gotta play by their rules. Feel free to open, disassemble and mod your own PS3; just don't expect to use any features provided by Sony.

This is very true. And I agree that Sony has the entitlement to make their rules for their club. I simply think that it is a shame that this whole ordeal has unfolded the way it has. I don't presume to know the answer to how this could have been better than it is... I just hate the trend of purchased devices being treated like corporate property. Shoot- at least Nintendo gives the user a warning when updating the firmware on their Wii! Sony has stooped to rootkits in times past.

..And the whole Linux " here it is!!! WHOOPS!! There it went! " fiasco reeks of "Bait and Switch" to me. NOTE: I don't use Linux on my PS3 and never have, but however large or small the group of those that do/did is- they still should count.

I hope he ends up in prison.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I agree with Guest.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i totally agree with:

Guest

on February 14, 2011

5:30 AM

he is saying what really happened while some don't even have a clue on how things are & what are the consequences.

& some other guests are either unaware of the law, morality of real meaning of usufruit / licence or anything related to cocept / copyright/ patent & i wish they never become developers / publishers , sorry for repeating ...

still, i may agree with some ideas put forward like the PS3 being a computer system, the PS2 too was said so, even older ATARI consoles had such definition, because a computer is a machine that computes & being a PC tech, i know that some computers were & still are dedicated machines (like ATM, do you want the ATM to make your coffee ?)

I even agree that if you own a PS3, you can remove the existing software, even if not allowed by the TOS you agreed with, yet this doesn't give you the right to steal other people's work, or cheat & hack then spoil the gameplay of other players & owning a gun doesn't give you the right to kill someone.

those supporting GeoHotz don't see the real implications, go & read back my 1st comment here ... & then don't tell me he had to bring back Linux to the whole population, he could keep the hacks for himself & then as SONY i would have hired him.

& yes, like mentioned by the rare 'Guest' with some good sense ... SONY built a machine, selling it to you, but stating (like any other hardware manufacturer do) that you have the right to use it, but not reverse engineer, copy or modify it, but can't control what you do with it. Still SONY owes PSN & each publisher owns the games you purchased, for any software you own ONLY the right to use, limited on sharing, re-selling, no right to copy, reverse engineer, etc ... You are free to do whatever you want, but respective owners are also free to do whatever they want with people abusing their patent/licence of anything, to everything there are consequences, just face them!

& a rap ... :S well i will rap soon too :P

cheers!

Is it me or everyone seem to have skipped this sentence:

"Sony is still threatening to sue anybody posting or distributing PS3 jailbreak code, and that a federal judge order Google and Twitter to surrender details of anyone who looks at the illegal content. This is despite the fact that Sony accidentally tweeted the PlayStation 3 security key earlier this week.

I probably don't know much about law but if SONY made it PUBLIC by posting it on their tweeter account (mistake or not) well seems to me that "THE KEY" is now FREE information!

So is out to do what you wish with it, yes it probably is copyrighted and all but ....it was made PUBLIC by SONY and SONY breached the contract between consumers and SONY by REMOVING a feature that was ADVERTISED as part of the goods and services SONY OFFERED to YOU if you purchased their product.

So it might be illegal to reverse engineer or what not but Geo was not the one to make HIS HACK illegal it was the ones who made the "CFW that supported the Pirating" the ones who made all this into what it is. His CFW was only the bring LINUX ( a main feature, offering, selling point, service or what ever you would like to call it, included in the ORIGINAL ADVERTISED PRODUCT FEATURES later removed because is cheaper for SONY then coding something up to counter it while leaving the feature on) back when it should have NEVER been taken away in the first place!!

Sony why not take the money invested in the lawsuit and get a good coder to fix your mess allowing Linux again and coding some anti hack for it??

Makes more sense then having this uproar of angry costumers... well not like you guys really care anyways do you SONY?

Myzz617 Myzz617 said:

First off he is throwing up the ELITE; Illumaniti sign and no one even mentions it. Hes trying to open peoples eyes and yall sit here saying he gets what he deserves. sorry but Sony got what they deserve they sell a product then go back on what they say. We all see Microsoft opening up to hackers. Now sony wants to do the opposite which will harm them in the long run.