Glenn Beck: don't do a Google search

By on February 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Glenn Edward Lee Beck, an American conservative radio and television host, author, and political commentator, has told his viewers not to use Google when doing research. He points to the fact that Google is having some problems overseas, and that some of its employees have played active roles in revolutions in the Middle East.

Here is the relevant section of his rant: "May I recommend if you are doing your own homework, don't do a Google search. It seems to me that Google is pretty deeply embed with the government. Remember... maybe this is explaining why Google is being kicked out of all the other countries. Are they just a shill now for the United States government? Who is Jared Cohen? Is he private citizen or government operative? And isn't this the second Google guy we've found... this is the second Google executive now being exposed as an instigator of a revolution. Are you comfortable with the government partnering covertly with media organizations, search engines, social networking, so that they can bring change that the Washington elites have designed?" You can watch the Beck do his thing below (found via Slashdot):

Jared Cohen is the Director of Google Ideas. He has worked with the State Department and played a role in the 2009 unrest in Iran. The other executive Beck is referring to is Google marketing manager and political activist Wael Ghonim, who played an active role in the revolution in Egypt. He went missing for over a week during the protests, and was later released by the security forces that kidnapped him.

Beck clearly doesn't have a very strong argument for not using Google; it's actually quite laughable what he is suggesting. Nevertheless, it does not hurt to question everything around you, including in the technology industry. Just don't become paranoid.

ess333 said:

Glenn you ***** ... I cant believe people listen to this lunatic

mccartercar said:

/puts on tin foil hat

princeton princeton said:

Who listens to conservative talk radio anyways?

What a lunatic?

Beck has managed to surpass Rush in the pantheon of close-minded, inflammatory demagogues.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

mccartercar said:

/puts on tin foil hat

Tin foil hats are shown to AMPLIFY the electromagnetic waves passing through your cranium... at least with some frequencies.

[link]

motrin said:

"in the time of the end knowledge shall be increased"

/takes a look at Glen.

yup we have nothing to worry about

paynetrain007 said:

ya they can be a little paranoid, but they are far more relevant liberal political bloggers who get all their info from CNN and never have left their mothers basement. Remember Liberals are just as narrow minded as Conservatives, they just have a different view point. Our Government was never meant to have as much power in the hands of specific individuals as it does today. Judges over riding votes of people. Democrats saying "O, they don't know what they need." and Ignoring the people. Anyone who thinks any politician republican or democrat truly has in mind the people's interest is naive.

BlindObject said:

I f***** hate that guy.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That guy is some sort of simpleton - as well as the people who pay attention to him.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

People have a history of making stupid and uneducated decisions based on something they heard from someone who read something that journalist # 8988945894 made up based on some study that was performed by some drunk college students on a dare.

I don't always put too much stock in the mob mentality and sometimes "the people" make decisions that aren't based on the right reasons.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Dear Mr. Beck,

Thanks a lot for giving wacko conspiracy theorists something new to shove down our throats. I can see it now, "Warning! Google is controlled by the government and will help us transition into the New World Order! Beware! Stop using Google at all costs! They are planning to take over our lives!" I should do a conspiracy video on this and see how many wackos would hop on board the "loco"motive (see what I did there? Lol) I figured crazy train was already taken, so "loco"motive sounds good :P

yRaz yRaz said:

paynetrain007 said:

Remember Liberals are just as narrow minded as Conservatives, they just have a different view point..

Being liberal means you are very OPEN MINDED.

As far as Glen goes, what do you expect of a ex-comedian coke addict gone mormon?

emzdhr said:

I don't care.. I love google.. and really dreaming one day I'll work for them

LookinAround LookinAround, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Calling Glen Beck "an *****" does an injustice to all the real ****** in the world. He's invented a new form of stupidity coupled with verbal diarrhea which lets him laugh all the way to the bank as he thinks about all the people who believe and hang on his every word

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Who cares what Glen Beck thinks? It's not really official until Rush Limbaugh tells us not to use Google anyway....!

C'mon Rick, everybody knows that you have to keep the hat grounded.

vandrade89 said:

Ironic how Glen talks about Google and other networks setting up people with "Propaganda/Community Organizing", When all he dose in his shows is community organizing.

vandrade89 said:

I'm With you... hate just looking at him.

SeiveD said:

Princeton said:

Who listens to conservative talk radio anyways?

Funny you should ask that. I don't know about how many people listen to Glenn Beck, personally I think he really *is* paranoid. But I do listen to Rush(who is awesome), and so do at least 15 million(and that's a conservative estimate) other people every week. But, if you look at Wikipedia's list of "most-listened-to" radio programs, you'll see that quite a lot of people listen to conservative talk radio in the U.S. And at least half of the programs in that list can be pretty clearly identified as conservative. For the ones that aren't, maybe their hosts are liberal, but I can't identify any of their programs as being about liberalism.

It's not my job now to try and be insulting, but perhaps you should rethink that question. Who listens to liberal talk radio? I honestly cannot name one liberal talk radio show off the top of my head.

paynetrain007 said:

yRaz said:

Being liberal means you are very OPEN MINDED.

That is a flat out lie. Since when has any liberal considered any idea outside of their camp. yes their are moderate democrats, but their are also progressive republicans. Take also into account that democratic philosophy is more government control, give us all your money and we'll take care of you mentality. They don't think that America is smart enough to handle life decisions. We aren't responsible enough to save our own money for retirement or choose our own medical care. To think Democrats are more open minded is very naive.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

Don't subscribe to Sirius do you? There is one big name that comes to mind immediately as liberal radio.

motrin said:

lets not start arguing over things that are not in the article. its about glen and glen only so lets bash on him

paynetrain007 said:

SeiveD said:

NPR :P its interesting that anything with the words national, public, civil, liberties, etc. in it is Liberal Propaganda, but thats a whole different subject.

Its really interesting that liberals can't actually discredit what conservative's say they just trash talk them and talk about everything they've done wrong in the past. They don't actually have any intelligent rebuttals to what they have to say ^^^^^ Yes Beck may be paranoid especially in this case but whose to say he's wrong and why? I'm not saying I agree with him, but the facts that he is using are true and his conclusions are logical, again not saying I agree with him, but there should be much more intelligent remarks then "he is a *****," "he is an *****," and similar remarks in order to disprove him. Attack the problem not the person. Most people in the world have closed minds, I admit I do, but the important thing is to have an open heart and to care about people. Which most of these remarks don't show. Attack the problem not the person.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

yRaz said:

paynetrain007 said:

Being liberal means you are very OPEN MINDED.

According to Webster, yes. According to politics, no. I've never met an open minded liberal. In fact, I've hardly met an open minded individual. Open mindedness is rare among humans made only worse in such an "educated age" where each thinks he's right.

I don't necessarily agree with Beck, but I do think that Google is becoming too political of an organization. Just focus on making money. Leave your politics out of your business.

yRaz yRaz said:

half of America is below average intelligence. Thing is, the average is low.

Wow! This guy is really out there..... maybe I shouldn't post this comment "They" may be watching.

Why is this Techspot worthy, I'm not trying to police the content on this site but this is just something for people to write their hate filled comments about someone they probably never herd of before because hes bashing Google for the most ridiculous reason.

yRaz yRaz said:

If someone has never heard of glen beck they'd have to be living under a rock.

I'm concerned about this man's mental health. He needs professional help.

Being a leftist means you are a knee-jerk hater of things that are good and lover of things that are evil. One evil things leftist do is to twist words, and taking the label "liberal" and destroying its original meaning is one of those things. Leftists get into a frenzy of hate against conservatives and media folks who dont line up with what they (the leftists) agree with. They engage in meme warfare.

Beck has identified a US govt use of social media and internet technology to support dissent in other countries. Maybe its not a bad thing, IMHO its good, but its not 'conspiracy theory' (like '911 was an inside job') to point this reality out.

Beck has also identified the power of what 'search' is, when one company defines what's on the internet. Just ask JCPenny who has the power in search (demoted out of google for suspected blackhat SEO). Avoidng Google or using alternatives is one way to get awareness of this.

Narrow minded fools who call Beck names are just venting their hate. They are anything BUT 'open minded'.

Holly crap!!!!! Thanks Rick. Taking my tin foil hat off immediately and going into the lab to solder up some EM Field dampeners.

Whew, that was a close one. :-|)

As far as the Beckster is concerned, that sewer rat is hilarious. He was flushed down the toilet of CNN. Only to wind up where everything flushed down the toilet winds up in; the fox sewer channel along with other retards like clusterfox and friends, gretchen "omagaaaauuud!" carson, o'liely, hamity, and felons like olly south & g. gordon lidy.

mados123 said:

This guy made $32 million in 2009 while peddling fear, misinformation, conspiracy theories and other apocalyptic messages. Then he'll push his sponsorship for gold and doomsday garden supply in a can. He's a one trick pony so why should we expect anything else than his lunacy. He is the epitome of chicanery.

Being a rightist means you are a knee-jerk hater of things that are good and lover of things that are evil. One evil things rightist do is to twist words, and taking the label "Republic" and destroying its original meaning is one of those things. Rightists get into a frenzy of hate against critical thinking and media folks who dont line up with what they (the rightists) agree with. They engage in direct warfare.

See what I did there, us damn leftists!

negroplasty negroplasty said:

Glenn Beck is a real piece of ****, I wouldn't listen to a word he said even if it was warning me about an incoming punch to the face.

He said it himself... PROPAGANDA - what Faux news is best at.

paynetrain007 said:

See what I did there, us damn leftists!

except unfortunately the only people who are truly labled right wing are mentally handicapped nut jobs who are actually communists, about as far from republican as you can get, like the guy who shot the congresswoman in Arizona. And the leftist liberals claim this guy is a right wing hate activist and say "beware of republicans, they are fear mongers." When the guy isn't republican at all.

PYGMUS said:

Hm ... on their free time, a few employees of Google have aided the protesters of Egypt, for example. Now Glenn Beck thinks that Google itself is a radical propaganda machine?

I doubt he would employ this same fallacious logic if it turns out that a Fox News employee also supported the recent protests in Egypt.

Of course Beck's on Fox. The biggest bottom feeder of all networks. I'm amazed how Americans put up with corporations who's primary purpose is to spread FUD for the political and financial gain of the elite.

God bless America. It needs it.

Raswan Raswan said:

Princeton said:

Who listens to conservative talk radio anyways?

way, way too many people.

Raswan Raswan said:

PYGMUS said:

He would though, only instead he would argue that the Egyptian government was being propped up by the liberal Obama administration so that it could continue oppressing the civic-minded patriots of Egypt, and that Google is a heroic bastion of liberty and freedom for pointing it out.

See that, Glen? I've got you covered in case it goes the other way. While I doubt you use the internet for fear that the stray, accidental thought actually makes its way into your overly smooth, under-sized brain, here's hoping you see this article and these comments. You are a fool in over your head, hiding behind Papa O'reilly and the monosyllabic grunts of the sycophantic meat-heads who watch your show. You are an STD on the unwashed crotch of the least-intelligent third of America and you make us all dumber for hearing your smarmy bs (as much as we try to ignore you). You are a complete and utter joke of a human being, and so are the people who take you seriously.

wcbert said:

People this is how you get your rating up!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Emil Protalinski said:

"Glenn Edward Lee Beck, an American conservative radio and television host, author, and political commentator"

You forgot conspiracy theorist & nut job.

mados123 said:

He found his niche and is trying to cash in as much as he can before he fades away, which I hope comes sooner rather then later.

He has a point !

The American way is the only way. If the oil leaks in the ocean, they go get some in Iraq, that is the American way. Over there money is the most important thing in the world not the planet or peoples lives.

USA wants all the power. most people see this as the "American way" and don't even realise it.

think about Google carefully.... Maps, street view, Android, Search giant...to name a few (the things we know about) - sounds like allot of power to me....hell, the US government have to work with them..all that data in the wrong hands !

all these naive little American teenagers cant see the transition to "anti-freedom"

facebook will become existencebook. without being on the system you cant do jack **** !

all your info in one click....

ps. no offence

*from an European-African view in S.Africa * use it don't use it

Peace out !

aj_the_kidd said:

I should probably Google which search engine Glen Beck wants me to use then

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I can see this is very serious.

I think Glen Beck is a pretty cool guy, creates irrational theories and doesn't afraid of anything.

aj_the_kidd said:

He has a point !

all your info in one click....

ps. no offence

*from an European-African view in S.Africa * use it don't use it

Peace out !

The South African Glen Beck everybody (god i hope you are being sarcastic)

Prosercunus said:

Google does have a huge history of contradicting itself. It insults the US government for human rights issues, but at the same time sides with China on censoring information.

That being said, Beck is being far to paranoid.

Only closed minded ****** actually hate or worship others. I like to see more people point out the not so obvious and question the authority. Kudos to Glen beck for making all you government controlled drones and zombies flaming mad and nervous.

This just proves that Beck is on the Microsloth payroll.

Right?

If he has a degree in computer studies, Masteral in computer science I will follow him.

But wait, who the *uck is this person anyway? Lunatic?

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

David Icke & Alex Jones FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!