Corsair releases USB 3.0 upgrade kit for Obsidian cases

By on March 3, 2011, 4:35 PM
If you've purchased a high-end motherboard in recent months, it's likely outfitted with USB 3.0 support -- but is your case? Probably not. Besides spanking new models, most desktop chassis still come with USB 2.0 ports on the front panel, and that includes Corsair's Obsidian 700D and 800D. Both $270 full-tower enclosures ship with the dated USB spec and that undoubtedly discourages some enthusiast shoppers, especially since competing cases such as the HAF X have the new interface.

Hoping to remedy the situation, Corsair has released an inexpensive "USB 3.0 upgrade kit." For $14.99, Obsidian 700D and 800D owners can replace their existing I/O panel with one that swaps two of the 700D/800D's USB 2.0 ports for USB 3.0. The new panel carries two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, an IEEE 1394 connector, as well as stereo and microphone jacks. As a reminder, the front panel USB 3.0 ports must be plugged into USB 3.0 ports on your motherboard or expansion card.

"Our Obsidian Series cases are designed and built to last through years of system builds and upgrades, and our customers are on the leading edge of technology and of USB 3.0 adoption," said Ruben Mookerjee, VP and General Manager for Components at Corsair. "We are pleased to provide an upgrade kit that allows Obsidian Series owners to bring a USB 3.0 port to the front of the case, making it easier to connect USB 3.0 devices." You can purchase the kit directly through Corsair's site.

Raswan Raswan said:

It's nice that it's so cheap. Well done Corsair.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'd love to see more case designers allow some front panel/port customization or replacement parts like Corsair or Lian Li.

TekGun TekGun said:

It's a nice idea, but why do they insist on including a IEEE 1394, does anybody still use this?

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

tekgun said:

My Sony HDR-HC1 Camcorder only supports USB 1.1 and FireWire 800. So it's nice to have Firewire to connect it too, as its about 80x faster.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's a great idea. While I don't NEED a new case, if I do, the Corsairs are at the top of my list, and this made it even better. And the price is really good for such an upgrade. I'm very pleased with what Corsair has been delivering over the last few years.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

PanicX said:

tekgun said:

FireWire also brings a more steadier stream of information than USB, so if your using a FireWire Bluetooth dongle for instance, it will deliver the data more steadier - although the developers of the newest editions of USB are combating this problem, thus eventually all the advantages of IEEE 1394 will disappear and it'll end up dodo-style.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Now, why haven't the other PC case manufacturers thought of this ? I am glad that Corsair decided to enter the PC peripheral business since they have such a strong commitment to quality and value.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why won't they do this for my Cosmos S? Come on Cooler Master!

Tried to buy it, but alas, it didn't work. Live in Sweden...

Boilerhog146 Boilerhog146 said:

yes, I still use firewire ,I capture video from my camcorder ,via firewire and turn them into home movies ,some hunting and fishing trips I have done this way..

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wish I had an upgrade kit for my case. I've been pondering the idea of moding my USB 2.0 ports. The fact that the cover and the ports are two piece makes it difficult. I'm hoping one day one of these kits may work for me, even though they may not be designed for my case.