IE9 sees 2.35 million downloads in first 24 hours

By on March 16, 2011, 4:59 PM
Internet Explorer 9 was downloaded 2.35 million times in the first 24 hours since its release earlier this week. In other words, IE9 was downloaded over 27 times every second, or over 240 downloads every 9 seconds (Microsoft loves using the version number as a metric for random statistics).

The number is over double the 1 million downloads Microsoft saw for the IE9 Beta and four times that of the IE9 RC over the same time period. That's not too surprising: more people will download the final version than the unfinished versions.

The above video shows the launch of Microsoft's latest browser, along with various demos of what it can do. If you haven't seen it yet, it's worth a look.

2.35 million is a decent number for 24 hours, but it is hardly impressive. The current record holder is still Mozilla, which had over 8 million downloads of Firefox 3 in a 24-hour period on June 18, 2008. Did you contribute to Microsoft's number?

krayzie said:

Wow, that's a lot.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Are the IE9 downloads from Windows Update included in these statistics? Because if they are, then it is indeed hardly impressive...

krayzie said:

I don't think there would have been 2.35million people doing updates... no one does them anyway

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

krayzie said:

i dont think there would have been 2.35million people doing updates.. .no1 does them anyway

I asked if the Windows Updates downloads were INCLUDED, not if they composed the statistics...

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I agree with lawfer, but I just tried Windows Update and it's not showing IE9 for me. I understand the roll-out is usually done in phases, so odds are only certain regions are getting the update for now, if any.

pcnthuziast said:

Is it even available via update? It doesn't show up when I check.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

pcnthuziast said:

Is it even available via update? It doesn't show up when I check.

Well, IE9 will definitely be available via Windows Update, there question is when and where... and if it has, then, where? I assume it will be rolled out progressively though. (I downloaded mine, so I wouldn't know.)

I just wanted to know if Microsoft based these figures off of downloads by Windows users around world who got the new browser through an update. If that was the case, I would go as far as to say that only 40% of those 2.35 million, were actual, manual downloads.

IE9 isn't available on Windows Update yet. Think MS said on Twitter that it will be available on WU next Tuesday

Great job Microsoft, IE9 is very nice. Do not listen to the haters and continue your efforts to release quality hardware/software proucts for everyone to enjoy.

negroplasty negroplasty said:

Thanks for posting Steve Ballmer. I happen to think it's a good release but an improvement on garbage. Chrome is still far superior in pretty much every aspect.

Check this link for benchmark results of the two (latest versions Chrome vs IE9):

IE9 looks like a Mozilla killer to me.

I think for the first 24 hours, 2.35 million is a big number. It's not available on Windows Update yet and even when it is, it'll be optional. I think the Firefox stat is a moot point because Mozilla specifically advertised and promoted the day as 'Download Day' and encouraged users to set a world record. I don't think Microsoft was trying that hard.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I had to go to the Microsoft Downloads site to get IE9. Was already running the release candidate and the install went without a hitch. Did seem to take a while to do the download so am guessing the site was getting hammered pretty hard.

Chrome is often refered to as spyware disguised as a browser. IE9 is fast and has impressive graphics rendering. I'll give FF4 a try when the final is due to be released March 22.

Nima304 said:

Hah, I know exactly one person who's downloaded IE9. Call me when Microsoft releases an open-source browser.

I still think IE6 and safari are the best, imho.

Microsoft has no need to release open source products. They let the open source community do the work and then incorporate some of their ideas. Look at IE9, it uses features first found in Chrome and FF.

Netscape Navigator was the first browser I used. Still have a soft spot for it.

tonylukac said:

They're lying.

OK, I confess. I downloaded it 2.35 million times.

Hey, I give all of the credit in the world to Chrome. Its not my preferred browser, however I commend them for their great product. I just like the responsiveness and compatability of Internet Explorer vs. Chrome. But like I said, I take nothing away from Chrome. I see that they have a lot of commited followers now. The "Steve Ballmer" comment was funny though. Good one.

supertech supertech said:

I am very impressed, it is actually fast.

supertech supertech said:

are u kidding me?

IE6 aka "Internet Explorer 6" ... Safari which will give you one of the most unpleasant browsing experiences

supertech supertech said:

that was supposed to say "internet exploder 6"

manually downloaded. theyre not yet showing up in windows update

negroplasty negroplasty said:

True. I still use IE for certain things, citrix based web apps etc... It's nice the MS buffed it up, call me unreasonable but I still expect more out of a company whose primary products are software. I guess I'm just biased against IE since all previous versions were vastly slower than all competing browsers, but with IE9 that's no longer the case... it's getting CLOSE.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Julio+lawfer

I also tried the update route just to see whether it is being listed there, but it wasn't. So I ended up downloading it manually, I think it will take some time until they push it through the updates. Anyway, funnily enough in recent times I have been using IE9 more than FF, despite the fact that I like it more, probably because FF got stuck in Beta phase for too long and just recently reached 'RC' status.

oh wow 2 mil + in downloads whoop dee doo and 90% downloaded it coz .... just be coz ... yea, wont ever use it just installed to have the sheet updated.

grats. statistics in this day and age irrelevant. too many people on the planet with nothin to do

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think i'll wait awhile...Wait for some reviews first.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

I'll be looking for the next article on Techspot about iE9 getting hacked

I did not contribute to this number but I've seen this browser on other computers. They finally release something that can be called a browser, if they continue like this maybe I'll start using IE10 or IE11(or who knnows.. maybe even a latter version of IE9). I still see lots off errors whit this browser too on many websites, not as many as with older version but still there are more that should be. But still is a big step forward for Microsoft

foreverzero89 said:

i just dl'ed it. wow it looks good and is fast. they did a great job, now a real contender. opera is still browser of choice though.

Ad block plus? No?.. well then it still sucks...lol

IE9 has add blocking. It's called "tracking protection" and is not turned on by default. You can find it in the Safety tab drop down menu located on the Command bar. Once it is activated you have a choice of ad blocking subscriptions. I use "Easy List", the same one used by Adblock Plus. Works great.

Also check out "simple-adblock.com"

ansh1993 said:

I'm waiting for Firefox 4 which will be coming next week .

Still wont use it...! Chrome for the win.

be honest do not have automatic downloads

Whoaman said:

Linux? OS X? XP?

Hmmm. Not sure I see any point installing and learning a browser so platform myopic even if it is finally after all these years ready to play web-fair. Chrome, Firefox, Safari and even Opera are all cross-platform and competitive.

If a company wants to play web then their is little point coming to the table with only a strand.

I'm glad they have improved it to the point of viability on Windows but not compelling in the least from a WebPOV.

Yahoo Classic Email has some issues with Explorer 9. Some features do not work and sometimes sending Email hangs for several minutes. Yahoo Classic Email still works with Firefox. I hope that doesn't change when Firefox upgrades to 4.0

bonniesmith bonniesmith said:

That's a heck of a lot considering it's IE, I just DLed a copy

I tried the the new ie9. I get dll errors when going to the websites they mention in the video, it's all crashing. Am I the only one with this issuse?

tinner3 said:

I downloaded it and had nothing but problems. I had to go back to IE 8. I installed Windows 7 clean. I do have Killer networks card and Avira's premium anti-virus. I'm thinking it's one of the two. Avira uses a differant engine for the free. Hear tell it's less restrictive.