Weekend Open Forum: Hobbies away from the PC

By on March 26, 2011, 4:00 PM
The fact that you're visiting a site named TechSpot is indicative of your passion for technology and if you're anything like me, you probably spend more time online than you do sleeping. Between work and play, it's not uncommon for me to spend upwards of 12 hours a day online -- including mealtimes.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every second in front of the PC, but it's refreshing to step away once in a while. Besides the usual family matters, I regularly exercise with kettlebells and I recently took up lockpicking as a side hobby. What do you do when you're not ogling graphics cards or lurking on forums?
Image courtesy of xkcd

With the weather getting nicer I'll probably spend my weekends mountain biking.

chaboi390 said:

A good book would set me aside from my PC, once and awhile.

cpsheb said:

I have a model railroad as a hobby that I can control using my eee touch pc through my wireless network. So I guess I can?t get away from computers altogether no matter what I do as a hobby.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Trout fishing and fresh water fishing in general on streams and creeks.

Working out almost daily with weights with plenty of cardio -- yes, I consider this a hobby. When the weather gets nice riding my ten-speed for fun and cardio.

Reading on a myriad of subjects. And, no, I don't have a Kindle, etc. Give me the printed word in a book or in a magazine.

Reading minidump files at TechSpot.

* By the way Matthew, I've tried those kettlebells and once in awhile I will work them in my regular routine. They are a great workout! We have one trainer at my gym who specializes in them.

dotVezz said:

Tennis for me. And cycling.

dotVezz said:

Is it just me... or does it seem like just with this little bit of information, everyone who comments on TechSpot just got a lot more interesting? We all just seem... more human?

fastvince said:

I go Slot Car Racing ! Its a great hobby. It used to be big back in the 70,s. Its making a little bit of a comeback these days. There are more and more tracks popping up.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Is it just me... or does it seem like just with this little bit of information, everyone who comments on techspot just got a lot more interesting? We all just seem... more human?

I agree. This is a cool thread.

Lurker101 said:

Because I like to cook in my spare, non-computer time, I'm more interesting and human?

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

I play the guitar and piano. I also play hockey and ski.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I play the drums in my past -time. excellent stress reliever, but so much fun.

Rasta211 said:

Basketball, exercising, studying Japanese.

mailpup mailpup said:

In my spare time I repair cars and trucks, from clutches, struts, axles, timing belts, rack and pinion, brakes to head gasket replacement. It's a hobby because I don't charge labor, just parts. As a result, I have a professional sized tool collection. So when I see toolless computer cases, I think why would I want one of those?

I also attend a few NASCAR races. Just Fontana, California and Indianapolis, Indiana.

Although I've gotten away from it recently, I used to alpine ski throughout the western U.S. and at a few resorts in western Canada.

KidChaos said:

I DJ (beat matching/mixing) house music.. but not that has come to involve computers too.. so not really truly away from PC, but certainly a non-typical use.. TechSpot crew always welcome to come listen.. I do my show Tuesdays CST 8pm-10pm on http:/pressureradio.com Deep/soulful mostly, but I do branch off to some latin and tribal influenced tracks.. It's not everyone's bag, but it's me

PinothyJ said:

Bodypainting.

Do I win the forum?

?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I race cars,drink, and fondle women...but....I have weekends off!

* 'Arthur' 1981 Orion Pictures

KG363 KG363 said:

Sports

GUNS!

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Hmmm, I cook, draw, go rock climbing, or snowboarding if its in winter.... or just go out to do photography of landscapes and architecture

treetops treetops said:

Drink beer. Chase women. Watch TV. Go to college.

Every other week there seems to be some kind of family get together, birthdays etc.

Sometimes I go camping and fishing.

Colt891 Colt891 said:

Dirt biking, street biking, shooting, skydiving, all the fun stuff.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

School?

Yay, LED flashlights too.

negroplasty negroplasty said:

Guitar, gym, bar.

yRaz yRaz said:

Art, guitar, cycling, hiking and chasing after the ladies while I'm not doing any of the former. Nothing like a long walk through the forest to calm the nerves. I've also been known to go for a few drinks from time to time.

yorro said:

I play basketball

SeiveD said:

I ride my motorcycle, and also work on it along with my parents vehicles. I also work out every day in some form or another.

treeski treeski said:

Reading about AI, or just reading in general...Skiing, guitar, traveling, biking, rollerblading, driving, school, tennis

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Soccer, cycling, drawing, building stuff- electronics, woodworking, bicycles, and more. I also do some programming for fun (in Python), but I suppose that's PC related. Most of my free time goes towards school, but I can't say that's a hobby of mine.

Cueto_99 said:

dotVezz said:

Tennis for me. And cycling.

+1, Go tennis! I just started the course last week, and its a really fun and challenging sport! gotta work on that drive

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I collect rare and old tools and devices. My most recent purchase is a polarimeter.

mrtraver said:

Playing with my kids, hunting, fishing, shooting, car repair, home repair, computer repair and building, reading books

demonlord721 said:

Hobbies

Well I tend to work and spend 99% of my time on the computer soo... My hobbies are building computers, ripping electronics apart and fixing them and working for Engineering and Physics departments at MSCD.

Sleep is a waste of time if you work 50 hours a week and are also taking 18 credits.

Cota Cota said:

I keep birds out of my garden >_> they eat the leaf buds and it really pisses me off!! >:\

Cota Cota said:

PinothyJ said:

Bodypainting.

Do I win the forum?

?

Depends.... brush or finger painting? :P

nobleX003 said:

I work day and study in night weekends I going to reunion of young people at church Sunday a play some PC games

Richy2k9 said:

Nice question indeed, but I'm a bit anxious when i found out my answer is terrible.

I'm a monitor fan, so I'm often stuck to one :P ...

sharing between work, gaming, movies, TV series, internet (social network/shopping/forums/research/training), :S .... too many monitors ...

beside i have to share my life with the wife, family, shopping offline & i live on a little paradise with beautiful beaches, sunsets, nature tracks, mountains, beautiful girls, shopping complexes, etc... etc...

90% of my time in front of monitor ... shame on me *doh*

cheers!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Car restoration (mainly mopars), Cooking (even though it's my profession), Painting (portraiture, graphics and tattoo designs), Reading (hard sci-fi/cyberpunk/bizarro esp.), Chess, and when in season game fishing....oh, and beer, spirit and wine tasting (informal basis only- none of that spitting the stuff out business)

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Another tennis player here . I also play soccer depending on the time of the year. I'm a TV buff, too, but let's say that doesn't count because it's more time in front of a screen. So besides sports I like to play cards with friends and family and during the past year or so I've also spent a LOT of time with constructors and the architect building my house.

Gunpla, psp and pvc figures

andreasf93 said:

Hang out with friends every Friday and Saturday night.. the rest days? School...

Quinneypoo said:

When I am absent from my computer I am usually at school, if i'm not im usually fapping, eating, or sleeping. I'd say my hobby is thinking about computers, or thinking about all the girls that I could never get.

This has to be one of the coolest threads on Techspot in a while, thanks Matthew!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I play soccer / squash / cricket (not in any particular order) when I have time; infact I'm arranging a cricket match next week between two of our departments . I also like reading, nothing I particularly like, therefore, it can be anything which is interesting enough to get my attention; so it can be Geological History or something from TC or worst still current affairs. I used to play rugby and chess as well but not any more. But I do follow LOTS of sports.

Apart from the above, I occasionaly have found myself crashing into police cars (not because of any error on my part) and running over a policeman once (which I must admit was fun). I have left out stuff like hanging out with friends etc. because it is a normal thing IMO; so I guess that should be enough for now

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Does Remote PC-ing count?

If not, cricket and being a couch potato mostly.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Bit of badminton. Soccer (5 a side footie in UK). Cycling when weather is better. Travel to see live premiership football as well.

Garage Sales, Rugby, Woodworking, Knife-Throwing, and watching "The Universe" on TV.

dotVezz said:

Wow, I have to say, this is the best WOF topic in a long time. For the first time, I'm actually *interested* in people's responses to it.

Cuz honestly, it's usually just asking for our individual (unimportant, often boring) opinion on some (generally trivial) matter.

It's really neat to see so many people who enjoy such interesting pastimes, especially considering the fact that we all have at least one hobby in common; Computers.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

H-D biking,hunting,beer,food you no all the good things.

Classic Rock said:

I used to do martial Arts, archery, running/cycling, weights/bodybuilding and such befroe I got myself run over.