Alienware M14x packs quad-core Sandy Bridge, GT 555M

By on April 5, 2011, 5:50 PM
More details on Dell's upcoming 14-inch Alienware gaming notebook have surfaced courtesy of a Chinese tech site. Zol has confirmed that at least one iteration of the M14x will be equipped with an 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor and Nvidia GeForce GT 555M graphics, which should offer a respectable gaming experience. Displays will include a 1366x768 or 1920x1080 panel.

Dell also plans to ship the systems with a Klipsch audio system, 8GB of RAM, a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive, and an eight-cell battery. Judging by the current M11x and M15x specifications, we assume that will represent the top configuration while less memory storage will be available at a savings. Other CPU and GPU options are also likely, and we wouldn't be surprised if an SSD was offered.

Aesthetically, you can expect the aggressive looks seen on previous Alienware notebooks. There's also word of a blue backlit keyboard, an Alienware skin for Windows 7, as well as a stainless steel nameplate that can be engraved. Connectivity includes VGA, HDMI and Mini DisplayPort outputs, a multi-card reader, three USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and embedded WiMAX or LTE.

Geez, at least wipe the finger prints off before taking a pic........

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

yeeeeeeesss... That's the kind of specs/form factor I'm looking for~

Never was a fan of the Alienware look though.

tacobfm said:

I guess we won't be arsed when they tell us the pice.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Modern games will run like crap (OK, that's an exaggeration) on the 1920x1080 panel with the GeForce GT 555M. For the smaller resolution though, it's perfect gaming laptop.

However, don't expect to run games like BFBC2 and other DX11 games at 30+ fps @1920x1080....

KG363 KG363 said:

Oh well, I just bought the Dell XPS 15 today

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@lawfer: While I agree with your general statement, I personally would want the resolution for desktop real estate rather than for gaming. That being said I wouldn't mind running games at a lower resolution. However if you want to run games at the native resolution, well that's why there is a lower resolution panel (and you'll save some money to boot).

realista69 said:

I know right, where you guys take that computer before taking a pic...KFC maybe???

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

1366X768 is a good res for that size screen. Should really fly as long as that card is decent. Add damage protection etc and it will be crazy money.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 yukka

along with some form of alarm if someone touch it 'inappropriately'

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Archean said:

along with some form of alarm if someone touch it 'inappropriately'

Puts "I've been touched by one of those spacemen!" in a whole new perspective, doesn't it?

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

madboyv1 said:

Yeah... that's exactly why I said the lower resolution one is the perfect one...?