MSI intros GX780 gaming notebook with SteelSeries keyboard

By on April 27, 2011, 5:32 PM
MSI has introduced a new G-series desktop replacement notebook with a quad-core Sandy Bridge processor and a unique keyboard developed in conjunction with SteelSeries. Meant to provide hardcore gamers a home away from home, the GX780 packs a 17.3-inch screen with a resolution of 1600x900 or 1920x1080, a 2GHz Core i7-2630QM, a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 555M, up to 16GB of RAM in four SO-DIMM slots, and up to dual-750GB HDDs in RAID 0.

The machine's keyboard is designed with gamers in mind, replacing the left Windows key with a function modifier and enlarging the Ctrl and Alt keys. Unlike most notebook keyboards, the GX780's supports up to 10 simultaneous commands -- though this is limited to a handful of keys commonly used in games. It also features multiple backlighting options and is said to be more durable than what you'd find on other notebooks, but it's not clear how this is achieved.

MSI says it partnered up with Creative and Dynaudio to find the ideal hardware and placement for the GX780's 2.1 sound system. Other specs include a Blu-ray player, an HD webcam (30fps@720p), two USB 3.0 and three USB 2.0 ports, one eSATA port, VGA and HDMI 1.4 outputs, gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, a multi-card reader, a nine-cell battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. No word on pricing or availability.

Win7Dev said:

Now this a gaming notebook that finally isn't a glowing brick. I actually looks like a normal laptop that isn't specifically for gamers.

Ooh, the keys are pretty :o)

dotVezz said:

You know, I made a LOT of fun of MSI's gaming laptops for being ugly, and having ridiculous glowing orange lights. Then I bought one, and I actually love it. I hate the bloody lights though, and I'm glad to see them gone from this.

I'm also glad to see everything getting slightly more conservative in style. (The red rings around the speakers are gone, etc...)

Nice style upgrade, and the keyboard looks way nice.

I'd choose GTX460M over GT555M anyday.

T77 T77 said:

The keyboard is pretty but the overall design is kind of dull,especially the screen.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Is it really made of steel?

I had 2 laptops MSI GX610, and believe me they didn't last long, overheating every time and blue screens each time that window starts up dude to hardware issue and this was just after a year.

abe10tiger abe10tiger, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Owwwwwwwwwwww!!! pretty keys! :0

Arris Arris said:

"MSI identified the keys used most by gamers and fine-tuned their sizes and locations to make them even more intuitive for gamers."

Well done MSI, we'd have never found them without your help.

Would have been better switching Caps Lock and the left control than just changing its size slightly. Nice to see that they are trying to make a better laptop for gamers though

abe10tiger abe10tiger, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well done MSI, we'd have never found them without your help.

It was a good thing making the left ctrl key a bit bigger. I sure would want to get my hands on this laptop! The left ctrl key on my keyboard is kinda small.... and it's close to the windows key

There was a time when I was playing a game....... I had to crouch at that time to avoid gunshots( crouch button was left ctrl) I was so focused on the game not knowing I was about to press the windows key! I was surprised that the game minimized and the Start menu came up! I was back to my desktop.... when I returned to my game..... I was DEAD. A really sad story...

So if I did get my hands on theses things..ow boy...no more mispressing.

If I had this I'd always be using a mouse. I hate the placement of the touchpad on all the MSI products. Always to the left...

fpsgamerJR62 said:

The GT 555M sounds like a mid-range part. Does it have the muscle to run current games at 1920 x 1080 ? My guess is that it's more suited to the lower 1600 x 900 resolution or even 1366 x 768 in the case of more demanding games.