Walmart partners with iBuyPower to offer custom desktops

By on April 27, 2011, 4:26 PM
Boutique system builder iBuyPower has united with an unlikely business partner to deliver custom PCs to the masses. Starting this week, Walmart customers can purchase a desktop computer specifically tailored to their liking, with various options for the system's chassis, processor, graphics card and almost every other internal component.

Pricing starts at $578 with an NZXT Gamma case (the enclosure chosen for our Budget Box), an AMD Athlon II X4 645, an Nvidia GeForce GT 430, 2GB of RAM, a 500GB 7200RPM HDD, a DVD burner and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. While that's admittedly a poor value compared to a true DIY machine, you won't have to get your hands dirty.

It's also worth mentioning that the cheapest configuration won't fare too well with heavy gaming, so you'll have to invest another few hundred for respectable performance. Upgrading to Intel's Core i5-2500K and 4GB of DDR3 RAM pushes the bill to $798, while a decent graphics card will cost another $50 to $300 depending on your needs.

A totally maxed out configuration skyrockets to $1,733 with an Antec DF-35, Core i7-2600K, a GTX 480 8GB of RAM, 2TB of storage, a Blu-ray burner, and Windows 7 Ultimate. Interestingly, the GTX 570 is an option but the GTX 580 isn't. We also find it odd that there are no SSDs listed, nor the option to choose a secondary storage device.

There's always a luxury tax associated with boutique machines, so we can't fairly compare that configuration to what you'd pay assembling the rig yourself. However, buying the maxed setup directly through iBuyPower is roughly $290 cheaper and includes free liquid cooling, meaning Walmart's offer is mostly targeting the uninitiated.

This was somewhat suggested by iBuyPower in yesterday's press release. "There are few brands in the world that are as recognizable as Wal-Mart," said iBuyPower VP Darren Su. "It is an honor to be chosen to join forces with them to offer custom built PCs, and will introduce the iBuyPower brand to an entirely new segment of gamers."

Mizzou Mizzou said:

An interesting partnership that might work out well for both parties. It certainly gives iBuyPower a new level of exposure in the retail sector and could appeal to many buyers that want something a bit different without having to do it themselves.

DokkRokken said:

This could be a real boon for PC gaming!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Unfortunately the first thing that popped into my head was the 15 minutes I spent on peopleofwalmart.com, and imagining those people bringing their computer in under warranty.

Leeky Leeky said:

OMG, I so wish I hadn't have just checked that site out!!

First post of page three sums it up really!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

This is an exiting glimpse into the future....! What could be the final nexus of this? iBuyPower teaming up with a certain Italian custom automobile manufacturer, to bring Maserati to the Bonobo Chimp population....?

OMG, I so wish I hadn't have just checked that site out!!
It's probably a similar experience to looking directly at one of the women in my "hood". You're temporarily blind and your eyes hurt for the rest of the day.

And the irony is, not even the part that's supposed to turn to stone, ever does.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I can see the future. Longer lines at customer service in walmart.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I can see the future. Longer lines at customer service in walmart.
Ya thimk...?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

captaincranky said:

I trust you don't leave home without your mirrored shield?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

$1,128.00

with selected options

Premium or optional items have added to the base price.

Included Items

Standard Items

Case (Your Choice)

NZXT Gamma Gaming Case, Black

Processor (Your Choice)

Intel Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600K (3.4GHz) Processor (+$280.00)

Memory (Your Choice)

4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module (+$110.00)

Hard Drive (Your Choice)

500GB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive

Graphics Card (Your Choice)

AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB Video Card (+$130.00)

DVD/Blu-ray Drive (Your Choice)

24X DVD+/-RW DL Optical Drive

Operating System (Your Choice)

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64-Bit Edition (+$30.00)

Card Reader (Optional)

Monitors (Optional)

Printer (Optional)

Really? No thanks... might help less technologically advanced people though...

chuckmeister said:

Yeah... well just be ready for their version of over-priced "Geek Squad" soon to follow.

Another piece of the cake passed from Milton to Wal-Mart.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

This is a great day folks. Walmart is actually becoming awesome again and not just chinese goods for sale

pcnthuziast said:

This could actually hurt PC gaming. Console sheep with next to no tech knowledge will try PC gaming out of curiosity. They will face bugs and issues that enthusiasts would easily be able to overcome with cfg tinkering and such. They'll chase their tales around awhile then resort to falling back on their warranty and customer service. They'll get replacement parts or a whole new system only to have new bugs or maybe get one game working only to encounter issues with their next game. Ultimately these lazy sheep will get frustrated and swear PC gaming off and rant to anyone who will listen about how PC gaming is garbage and more headaches than it's worth. They'll finally return to their consoles and bask in the mediocrity.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I'm picturing a 94 year old Walmart greeter offering to show you the latest in technology....the Pentium III

at least 'Tha General' will have a place to shop now.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

My God man, what on earth are you talking about? Most all the computer hardware comes from China.....This will just slew the per item price point.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

at least 'Tha General' will have a place to shop now.

Well, as long as it's one o' them thar new fangled 800 megacycle jobbies

magaman598 magaman598 said:

captaincranky said:

at least 'Tha General' will have a place to shop now.

Well, as long as it's one o' them thar new fangled 800 megacycle jobbies

This is why I love going on here, lol.

nah, those eff-tards take em to the pawn shop... wtf is a warranty?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

magaman598 said:

captaincranky said:

at least 'Tha General' will have a place to shop now.

Well, as long as it's one o' them thar new fangled 800 megacycle jobbies

This is why I love going on here, lol.

It's not necessarily cranky who makes this place worth visiting... but some of people who comment, especially guests, and their lack of knowledge that others and themselves then claim to know about something and act like such is true, then reacting to.. because without them... cranky wouldnt have any targets! hehehe ;P

And I'm no exception, If i state something I claim as true, then please make fun of me. I'm sure I'll have a good laugh.

This is probably one of my biggest distractions at work, sad but true. haha