Eight-core Intel Sandy Bridge-E processor makes Ebay appearance

By on May 7, 2011, 2:24 PM

Intel recently started sending samples of its next-generation processors, codenamed Sandy Bridge-E (The E stands for Enthusiast), to third parties for testing. Inevitably, some engineering samples of the "Intel i7 8 core" have appeared on eBay (via Xbit Labs).

This particular processor is listed with a whopping $1,359.99 price tag. The sale has been shutdown prematurely, however, and it's not clear if it was pulled by the seller or if eBay reacted due to an inquiry from Intel. It's probably the former since the latter would have resulted in the item's page being pulled completely – at the time of writing it is still up.

The eight-core chip is marked as "Intel Confidential" to mark that it is not meant for public consumption. It features Hyper-Threading technology, 20MB of L3 cache, and a clock-speed of 1.60GHz. Here are the official details the eBay user included for the item:

Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Brand: Intel
CPU Type: SB EXTREME
Multi-Core Technology: 8 CORES
CPU Socket Type: 2011
Platform: X79 Express
Clock Speed: 1.6 GHz
Chipset: 7 Series Panther Point
Computer Type: ES SB Q19D

The chip seems to belong to Extreme Edition or Xeon versions of Sandy Bridge E-series processors, assuming previous information that the consumer enthusiast-class processors will only feature four or six cores is correct. Alternatively, the eight-core silicon may mean that Intel is at least evaluating possibility of releasing eight-core CPUs for consumers.

Last month, leaked Intel slides revealed Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge details. According to the roadmap, the high end Sandy Bridge-E will be launched in Q4 2011 and besides targeting the super expensive $999+ segment, apparently it will also include models in premium performance P1 and P2 ranges, which are currently headed by Core i7 970 and 2600 models.

Extra Late Techspot

Extra Late Techspot

Yeah geez Emil...If it's more than 24 hrs old, It's not worth putting up...

..that was sarcasm BTW

Punkid said:

1.6 Ghz doesnt seem so extreme even with the shitload of cores..

Chazz said:

1. It's an engineering sample

2. It's possibly a server chip.

Both could account for low clocks, if this is infact real.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I read another article that said that it started life as a server chip, and it probably OC's to 5Ghz+

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

All desktop Intel CPU's start out as server chips (socket permitting)

The top bin for any socket that has combined desktop/ws/server compatibility is branded Xeon. If the CPU needs a bigger voltage push (VID), or has defects it becomes the desktop part (Core i7 etc.) and the extra Xeon goodies -larger cache, second QPI etc.-get fused off.

The low clocks would almost certainly be a result of either process (or deliberate) crippling and/or being a low voltage part (which typically end up around 2GHz clockspeed as a saleable part)

As for the eight core SB-E migrating to desktop...not totally unexpected:

[link] .

@red

Overclock to 5+G. That sounds insane -unless (presumeably) it had some subzero cooling or cores disabled.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I was checking out an article the day this broke that was (i'm assuming speculating) that this was actually a server tester that would require an as of yet unreleased server socket. they were wondering if the potential bidders were aware of this. I got the impression that the socket they were talking about was going to be exclusive from desktop parts.

pcnthuziast said:

Low clocked, but 20mb of L3 sounds tasty! :P

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

X79 (Patsburg) is the desktop platform

C600 (Romley) is the server/ws platform ( single socket with E5-1600, dual socket with Xeon E5-2600 and quad socket with Xeon E5-4600)

Both are LGA 2011.

The eBay items (both the 8 and 6 core that were up for offer) would have been server parts for certain. The certification/validation process for enterprise hardware and software has such a long lead time that the first ES's would invariably be required to validate the multi-socket platform.

Not sure how any tech site could be assuming LGA 2011 is a desktop only platform at this late stage. Most of the info (chipset designations aside!) were fairly well publicised even before Fujitsu nailed down most of the specs six weeks ago

I think there is some general confusion between the Sandy Bridge based Xeons and the LGA 1567 Xeons (E7-28xx (2S) /48xx (4S)/ 88xx (8S) -known as Westmere-EX on the Beckton platform. These CPU's (32nm) are drop in replacements for the Nehalem E65xx/75xx (45nm) Xeon's.

This is an enterprise multi-socket platform only.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

And I thought we were going to get to see the "Intel releases to many sockets" crowd

Modeazy said:

Clock speed 1.6.Don't know if I should jump with joy or just...whatever.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Clock speed 1.6.Don't know if I should jump with joy or just...whatever.

I really don't think the under-clocked speed of an unreleased , illegally almost auctioned part means much in relation to the retail part. i would bet a healthy sum that this thing will demolish any and everything on the market at stock clock, and run up to 5Ghz like most recent Xeons do....just a guess.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Should be arriving in 5....4....3...

I'm sure we'll end up inundated by R3D, B3D and SA taliban howling about how they're not buying Intel and are going AMD because the thought of having to go from LGA775 >>>LGA1366>>>LGA1156>>>LGA1567>
>>LGA1155>>>LGA2011>>>>LGA1155 (Ivy Bridge). They of course will now be planning their future upgrade path along AM3>>>AM3+ >>>C32>>>FM1>>>G34>>>AM4
...which I note is a much more elegant solution.

I'd better catch up on my night classes in readiness of BD and SB-E forum wars. Monday is "Directing Sarcasm at Totally Humourless People" and Wednesday is "How to Simulate the Appearance of Caring"

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Should be arriving in 5....4....3...

...which I note is a much more elegant solution.

+11 ( a-la spinal tap..."that comment goes to 11"

Ooooo! I just signed up for "Yes...but one of us is kidding 101" 3 credits, should come in handy!

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Quick question here in regards to this processor, is 8 cores really needed? How many cores do the high tech industry gunning for, will there ever be a ceiling limit as to how many cores they can throw inside such a small chip? I mean a long time ago I was running a pretty hot and smoking AMD Athlon 64 (6000+) @ 3.2 Gig's, it was a dual core and that did the trick. 1 core, 2 cores, 4 cores, 8 cores how much is to much?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

well is there such a thing as too productive? Industrial light an Magic have projects that will render for weeks and months, and they have some of the most powerful computers in private industry. I am sure they would like to halve that time a few times. I have six cores in my personal computer and I have projects I would like done faster ie ....Photoshop,3DSMax, ID5, Video editing ETC.I am sure that the folks in the medical field and mapping the human genome wouldn't mind 'as fast as possible' either. You will notice that millions of people are still folding at home. I don't think the beneficiaries of all that folding think there is a 'too many cores' either. I guess if your happy with a x2 64 6000+ then thats enough for you.

...however if you are like me and put instant coffee in the microwave and yell at it to "hurry up"....then bring on more cores

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Quick question here in regards to this processor, is 8 cores really needed?

If you use a lot of heavily threaded the programs then yes. Future applications will undoubtably be more so.

How many are they gunning for? As many as they can squeeze in. Adding cores usually adds more performance than raising clockspeed (not to mention keeping temps/power draw down)...and some people will always find a way to use extra cores- although I'll hazard a guess and say gaming has the opportunity to shine if games are coded for it. (BTW the video is running at real time- not a pre-rendered scene)

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

See Chef...I went with the more philosophical, humanistic approach there...

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I should have taken the hint..."Zen" , of course!

Dammit!..my Friday night class on "Conveying the Benefits of a Parallel Programming in the Haiku Form" doesn't start until next week.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Maybe windows 8 will be cool enough to use 8 cores simultaneously for all software and cause 1.6ghz faster than a 4-6 core 3ghz+. Wishful thinking but my heads are in the clouds.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I should have taken the hint..."Zen" , of course!

Let's see ..that would be using the 'H-575' CPU?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Red fanboy posting

Cry foul Intel compiler

Abu dhabi waiting

Red fanboy posting

Cry foul Intel compiler

Abu dhabi waiting

like really Cooooolll man...

snap....snap ....snap.....

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I wonder if tech haiku would give me cross-credit in my Head Chef's Sensitivity Training diploma?....hopefully so, I've been stuck on 0 credits for the last twenty-five years.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I think Chef....like me, you are the 'before' picture.

Jurassic4096 said:

The chip is unlocked.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The chip is unlocked.

And?

An early ES often has an unlocked multi- it's easier than sending out half a dozen different chips. Although just because the eBay listing says it is probably isn't the best way of judging this. Since the guy can't spell the platforms name (its Patsburg not Platsburg) and doesn't know that LGA2011 supports DDR3-1333 (rather than -1066) or TXT (Trusted Execution Technology*) I'd be inclined to think he's not the best source of reliable information.

*Intel roadmap here (.pdf) -page 21 for LGA2011 platform

T77 T77 said:

20MB of L3 cache is very good(for desktops), but a clock speed of 1.6GHz...........its slower than a pentium 4!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

It's an engineering chip. It wont be released at that clock.

its slower than a pentium 4

** I'm sure if not...Chef will tell me what was

Ah that's mean 2x8=16 threads. Really cool!

Ehhm but now I think it twice I think it wouldn't be so cool without water cool system :)

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I should have taken the hint..."Zen" , of course!

I'm just a tad bit curious here, and sorry to go a little off topic, but is there something wrong with my name? It's no real biggy, I get a little razed about my nick name "Zen" at both my temple and at my dojo, where I'm in my 6th year specializing in both "hand to hand" and "Japanese swordsmanship".

Oh well, just was curious! Again no real biggy!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Don't recognise the setup for a joke then?

Looks like Monday's can't come soon enough for me

That seems a little extreme -totally demolishing someone because of a nickname. I'd say you could benefit from hanging out with a more sensitive crowd of budding ninja's.....unless you're being ironic, then well played!

You probably need to take the contents of post #19 into account

See post #14

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Don't recognise the setup for a joke then?

Looks like Monday's can't come soon enough for me

I knew more than likely this was all being done, or setting itself up for humor!

And about hanging with a non sensitive crowd, you are pretty much right, they are a bunch of serious dingle heads. But I guess I get razed due to the fact I'm the "new guy", even after 6 years I'm still the nooB. My dojo is a closed access dojo, meaning you only get accepted and trained by invitation or being a family member to an already established member of both temple or dojo. I lucked out, I'm the outsider, I was allowed in and to be trained due to who I knew, not because I was family or anything.

Glad to see that things on TechSpot are more lite hearted, glad to see some funny stuff and I guess I will have to be more open when either I'm being set up or I set myself up to be subjected to humor.

Now back to the show......................

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I?? clock wise what wasn't? The P-4 Prescott HT 670,674, 570, 570J were released at 3.8Ghz The fastest ever stock frequency (clock wise) I think.

** I'm sure if not...Chef will tell me what was

Yup. That's about it for the desktop/workstation space.

IBM's Power7 is 4GHz stock (4.14GHz max.), but it doesn't have a hell of a lot in common with desktop. 32 x 8 core (@ 4 threads per core = 1024 thread) modules, 800 watts per 8-core module (25.6kW)