Shaw boosts data caps, preps 100Mb/s, 250Mb/s unlimited plans

By on May 26, 2011, 3:31 PM

Squelching complaints of restrictive bandwidth caps, Canadian cable provider Shaw has begun rolling out drastically higher speeds and transfer limits. The company has increased bandwidth caps by 100% or more on existing plans, along with introducing new ultra-speed unlimited packages (PDF).

The cap on Shaw's "Lite Speed" 1Mb/s service has been boosted from 15GB to 30GB, its "High Speed" 7.5MB/s connection has jumped from 60GB to 125GB, and the company's "Extreme" 25Mb/s has shifted from 100GB to 250GB. All services will keep the same bundle and standalone pricing.

Starting sometime in June, Shaw will launch five new packages: 1Mb/s, 50Mb/s, and three 100Mb/s. The new 1Mb/s line and one of the 100Mb/s services will offer unlimited bandwidth, while the 50Mb/s plan is limited to 400GB and the other two 100Mb/s connections offer 500GB and 750GB caps.

Shaw's lineup will be further augmented in August when the company introduces two 250Mb/s services -- one capped at 1TB and the other offering unlimited bandwidth. Interestingly, all of the new tiers will require you to purchase a bundle package that includes the company's cable TV service.

In other words, you won't be able to pay for a standalone Internet service. This will undoubtedly annoy some users who demand higher transfer limits because they've ditched conventional cable TV for web-based video services such as Netflix, the largest source of Internet traffic in North America.

Nonetheless, the changes show that Shaw is at least listening to its customers. "We have spent the last several months listening to many points of view from the lobbyists, the industry and most importantly our customers. We hope you agree that where we have landed is fair [and] flexible," Shaw said.

It's definitely a good start, especially for Canada that's so far behind in broadband availability, but it's way too freakin expensive. 85$ for 1 down and .25 up? Prices like that are a crime against humanity.

I'm not asking for South Korea like speeds & prices but this is ridiculous

That is with TV friend.

blimp01 said:

250 mbps meaning download at max 25 mb/s right? thats pretty blazing fast

SSaywell said:

I wish we could get that in the UK, the max I can currently get is 8Mbps with some stupid cap I go over every month, I want faster and more bandwidth I sure as hell pay enough already :@

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

blimp01 said:

250 mbps meaning download at max 25 mb/s right? thats pretty blazing fast

Actually it would be 31.25MB/s since there are 8 bits in a byte.

The problem is Shaw wants to introduce internet metering regardless of customer complaints.

"OpenMedia.ca has posted a recording of a conference call between shareholders and top executives at Shaw that apparently took place April 13th. The non-profit advocacy group says in the recording, Shaw admits it plans to go ahead with internet metering. "Our customers have said they are willing to pay more for a higher quality of service," says CEO Bradley S. Shaw."

o-ahead-with-usage-based-internet-billing

what a joke, now you can't get net service without a TV plan as well.. SHAW , BELL , ROGERS... all of them are scumbags of epic proportions, these are the exec's I'd gladly punch in the head if I met them. More greedy then oil companies.

Win7Dev said:

I wish my area of the US got better speeds. Only 6mbps for me. My actual download speed tops out at about 750 kb/sec.

I wish Shaw was available in Montreal. I'd jump on that unlimited 250mbps and grab some static ips, then I would go crazy running gaming servers!!!!! I want!!! The only option I have here is Videotron 120mbps with small business plan to get unlimited, but then it's $240 a month and without the basic cable. I want Shaw, come to Montreal!

You hit the nail right on the head!! at this rate these companies will price people right off the net period. We need government intervention to legislate pricing so we can stop being ripped off.. These companies found a way to make a mint but at the same time people who get to enjoy the net who are retired can't afford to pay these ridiculous prices any longer. We put politicians in office to protect us, and this is what happens. Cell phone use has skyrocketed now the internet service has as well.

Be glad to be in Canada, in US every1 going to be data capped(soon) thanks to old copyright laws that aren't being changed because of RIAA and MPAA funding greedy politicians. What the point of super blazing internet speed if going to limited.

Shaw at least giving options but still unfair that u must buy other services to even get the options.

Luurch said:

Yeah not too cool there, I am in a comcast owned monopoly, there is no other choice for internet cable tv, not eve frontier formerly verizon here can service my address even though I am 2 blocks from a main hub for their internet service, stuck with comcast with barely any cable tv and 2nd lowest tier of internet at just about 110 a month, I would gladly pay 120 a month for uncapped internet and decent tv privs...comcast is a joke, overpriced joke, but as with widows...stuck with it for lack of support for things i need to be able to do

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

Its good to see someone final listing to the complaints about data caps but at the same time they make it useless most people who would actual need it. The reason most people want no data cap is so they can stream all the TV they want. By making it impossible to buy without TV defeats the purpose. I always thought the ISP's were afraid of having to update their infrastructure but now I see the truth. They almost all own TV services and don't want people to be able to do this. They are afraid that internet streaming might effect their sales.

Trainass said:

SSaywell said:

Actually you'd want a faster connection with more data, as a faster connection and more bandwidth are the same thing.