DICE preps E3 Battlefield 3 demo, mocks Call of Duty Elite

By on June 3, 2011, 6:00 PM

DICE has confirmed that it's putting the final touches on a playable demo for E3. Conference-goers will be able to play a multiplayer map called "Operation Metro," which appears to offer well-rounded glimpse of Battlefield 3's gameplay. Players will experience both large and small-scale combat along with the ability to disable vehicles, mount weapons and more, according to DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson.

Although folks at home won't be able to experience the action firsthand, the developer noted that EA will stream its press conference on Monday. According to GameSpot's countdown page, the keynote seems to start around 12:30PM PDT. You can also expect to see new trailers, screenshots and in-depth press previews next week, so there's plenty to look forward to even if you can't make the trek to Los Angeles.

Additionally, Troedsson announced some features that won't be showcased at E3, including an "extensive co-op campaign" -- a first for the Battlefield franchise. He also took the opportunity to mock Activision's recently announced "Call of Duty Elite" premium subscription service. Apparently, DICE is whipping up a Battlefield 3 "Battlelog" that offers similar social tools, feeds and stats free of charge.

Due in November and developed with the company's new Frostbite 2.0 engine, Battlefield 3 is shaping up to be one of the, if not the biggest PC game of 2011. Based on previous announcements, we know that the title features four classes, more unlockables than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, meaningful character customizations, as well as improved level destruction, character animations and war sounds.

DICE: 1 vs Activision: 0

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Dice won back when they released COD BC2, BF3 is going to destroy COD..GOODBYE COD go away and die!

BrianUMR said:

Pretty sure Activision is winning the battle of COD vs Battlefield when it comes to the thing that matters most to companies and thats $$.

It is good to see DICE will be offering the features for free. Bungie already offers most of the features for free for Halo Reach and have been since Halo 2.

princeton princeton said:

BrianUMR said:

If the CoD devs cared about making a good game they would come up with something innovative instead of copy and pasting textures, models, effects and code from previous games into new ones.

DICE cares about making a great ******* game. That's what makes a winner, not the money, but the passion.

ryan29121 said:

xclusiveitalian said:

I totally agree with you. The COD games are all the same and I think the gameplay sucks. BF games have better visuals, better game play, and are much more fun to play. BF3 FTW!

BrianUMR said:

Princeton said:

BrianUMR said:

Well yeah I wouldn't argue with that. However calling someone the winner when the number that matters to the company and the money people is the $$ is kind of odd.

princeton princeton said:

Not everyone is money hungry. If they turn a profit then that's what really matters. I'd rather be earning less but knowing I made a great game then making more money but making a shitty rehashed game. I simply wouldn't be happy with the product I made if I made CoD games.

haha are you for real, 'DICE 1 - ACTIVISION 0'

haha its not like every other call of duty game has smashed every other battlefield game hands down in both ratings and sales figures, id more say its currently activison 7 - ea 0

when EA & DICE re-invent a whole genre like ACTIVISION & INFINITY WARD did with call of duty 4. COD4 was thee most groundbreaking game since doom, and it sparked so many carbon copy games. ea & dice will get no where trying to beat activison and iw at their own game, they need to invent something new and re ignite a genre that is un touched.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

DICE cares about making a great ****ing game. That's what makes a winner, not the money, but the passion.

...and the interesting thing about that is, if you do that...the sales will follow. watch the sales of this game Crytek...while Crysis 2 is half price two months after release.

The sad part is, even if BF3 is the best game of 2011 (which it is), Activision's marketing machine will devour everything in its path. They'll use celebrities, exploit young kids w/ consoles, and integrate themselves to social sites - meaning if you dont own this game, you're not one of the cool kids in the block.

Isn't that the main reason why CoD is the most successful piece of sh!t game?

uh, Call of Duty: Bad Company 2? lol

Battlefield 3 will 8=============D SLAP the s*** out of Mw3 i mean you would have to be the most deranged blind kid with the mind of a 2 year old to buy mw3 over Battlefield 3 Dice has in there hands one of the most best and ground breaking games of all time. activison is crapping them selves they even said that ''Mw3 will not be able to be as Graphicaly enhanced as Battlefield 3''. The score so far is EA:999.999.999.999 vs Activison:-1

MW3 will win by sales numbers, even though how much i loathe that game.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I prefer the teamplay in BC2 and the epic battles and destructive scenery to the shoebox levels of MW2. Rush maps are a brilliant idea in BC2. Can't wait for BF3 now.

You really wasnt around in the BF2 days then.

BF was always bigger than CoD until CoD4 and BC1.

BF1942>CoD1

BF2>CoD1&2

BF2142 matched CoD3

CoD4 MW1>BFBC1

CoD4 MW2>BFBC2

and soon:

BF3>CoD4 MW3

TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

actully, CoD:MW sucked balls

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

looks good so far, semi unrealistic but that's shooters for ya XD wonder if there will be mods for it later.

My silly friend... dice has been making larger scale fps games based on physical environements since Battlefield 1942.

It was BECAUSE of IW dumb arcade gameplay fps that DICE even bothered to enter into the consol karket where younger & less knowledagble player are. So DICE intruduced 1943, Bad Company, BC2 & Heroes... all to get people aquainted with DICE and their superior PC gaming.

Lol... @ ur reponse

Cota Cota said:

I know BF3 is better than any CoD because CoD needs to bride Steam to add CoD into your library list so you can play it for free, its kind of a forced demo... Piss off Activision!

I luff BF and PC gaming.

stan4 said:

I'm not playing black ops, not even in this FREE weekend in steam... LOL.

I rather stay away from all those 12 y.o.'s.

ramonsterns said:

I have high hopes. Maybe CoD will finally go away.

Maybe Aliens will take pity on us and nuke Activision HQ. Along with the devil.

I think Call of Duty is now more than just a game, it's more of a must have fashion item or gadget, its like everyone has to have it because there friends got it.

ramonsterns said:

Which is why it needs to get nuked, from orbit.

Battlefield has better graphics but their stories SUCK which is why a majority of people prefer the CoD franchise. Their controls are kind of glitchy too...

pcnthuziast said:

People often forget another area where DICE > IW... the sound! BF3 is gonna make me deaf since I'm gonna wanna crank the sound waaaay up!!! lol

hahaha, story? CoD? You're joking right? No?

Reinvented the genre? You seem to have never head of Counter strike, Battlefield 2 : MODERN COMBAT AND Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, they didn't re invent the Modern shooter genre, they simply added to it.

princeton princeton said:

How are there controls glit- oh you're probably a console tard. IF that's correct then that must be why you also thought CoD had a good storyline in the single player modes.

The controls are fine, I customize them to suit my play style and they work perfectly. You're simply blaming inferior controls on consoles on the game itself.

I spent $25 for a copy of BFBC2 and then another 35 bucks for the 1600 MicroSoft Point cards and Vietnam. 800 went to the VIP access code. so I spent $50 on a game from 09? So I can play with my friends. I don't see why people blame COD players for wanting to play with their friends. And I love Crysis 2! Its such an awesome game. People should play it, and the multiplayer is fantastic. The Assault game mode is so much like Spies vs Mercs. Me and my battle field buddies spent 3 hours playing just that. Helped me unlock the Volt Sub machine gun :D

princeton princeton said:

Well your standards are very low.

Crysis 2 is a bad game solely because it's inferior in every way compared to its predecessor. It took battlefield type gameplay and wide detailed environments and replaced them with smaller environments with worse detail and CoD style gameplay.

"when EA & DICE re-invent a whole genre like ACTIVISION & INFINITY WARD did with call of duty 4. COD4 was thee most groundbreaking game since doom, and it sparked so many carbon copy games. ea & dice will get no where trying to beat activison and iw at their own game, they need to invent something new and re ignite a genre that is un touched"

LOL. COD4 is an EXACT copy and paste of Counter-Strike. COD4 did not reinvenet or create anything. If there is something that EA/DICE has done that COD has not, it's taking the shooter to the next level. I don't recall seeing wide open 32 v. 32 gameplay in CS, Doom, Quake, UT ... the fathers of FPS.

COD is nothing special. Just the same formula that was already perfected by those before it.

Battlefield 3 has the opportunity to take the genere they spearheaded to the next level... and I have few doubts that they won't succede.

The BF games have always been a superior product to the COD series, and this will be no different.

-xwar

princeton princeton said:

That means you're almost certain that they won't succeed. You might want to proofread.

I mean, obviously MW3 is going to SELL more than BF3. I will buy both, because both series have legitimate strengths. BF3 will certainly be a better and more in-depth game than MW3, just for the simple fact that it's been more than half a decade of work/thought put into it.

If you're judging a game's worth purely based on how it sells, you're a fool. I could care less if IW "Wins" in profit margins. BF3 will simply be a better game and as a consumer, that's all you should be concerned with... getting the best product for your money.

As for the haggard and overdone, "Console's fault for ruining BF". Get over it, I'm an avid PC gamer and an avid Console gamer. I don't play my 360 to have better graphics, I play it because it's a much more accessible device for others who don't want to spend two grand on a gaming PC. I still have just as much fun on a Console as my expensive gaming PC. I agree, catering to people who are underage/not knowledgeable is wrong, but it's not THEIR fault for being under 17 or not knowledgeable in the realm of gaming. The phrase, "Don't hate the player, hate the game" comes to mind. They come to have fun. There is something for everyone in BF3, get over yourselves.

princeton princeton said:

more accessible device for others who don't want to spend two grand on a gaming PC..

You just destroyed ALL of your credibility with one statement. You can build a perfectly capable machine for less than $1000 and it'll run games better than any console. Plus as Crysis 2 has shown us PC games drop in price rapidly after launch which more than covers the increased cost of the machine. And with a PC you're not limited to gaming alone.

Or you could just throw a $250 GPU in an existing PC and still destroy anything a console can do. If you were actually an avid PC gamer you would know that. If you're going to pretend to be something you're not at least make it convincing.

Ohhhh, so you're the guy who's all high and mighty on this site? How adorable!

You just destroyed all of your non-Elitism with that statement.

And apparently, using an example number of two grand means that I think all gaming computers cost two thousand dollars.

I have built three for under a thousand.

I've also purchased three consoles for under three hundred.

Not all people are made of money.

princeton princeton said:

Ohhhh, so you're the guy who's all high and mighty on this site? How adorable!

You just destroyed all of your non-Elitism with that statement.

Care to elaborate instead of just saying something with nothing to explain why you stated it?

I have built three for under a thousand.

I've also purchased three consoles for under three hundred.

Not all people are made of money.

Yah because comparing the cost of used consoles to the cost of brand new pc parts is a fair comparison. I can build a pc with an AMD quad core, 4gb of ram and a GTX 560 ti brand new for $600. This machine will be capable of playing games at the same level as a console for two console generations. Plus it can be used to do more than just game and the games are cheaper. Your logic is terrible and now you're grasping at straws trying to make some sort of sense of what you're saying. If you honestly think paying $300 for a brand new console is a better investment than $600 for building a quad core pc with a gtx 560 ti you need to get your head checked.

I wasn't aware I had to give -you- a reason as to why something was said. Anywho, never did I once say that a Console was more powerful than a PC. Obviously not. I have no idea why you chose to jump on that one, seeing as the statement "...more accessible device for others who don't want to spend two grand on a gaming PC" was obviously not only an example price given, but also in reference to the accessibility of Consoles to the masses of people who cannot afford/don't want a more expensive gaming platform.

Like I said, I've built three PC's for under a thousand myself. Can give you the specs of my rig now, but then again, I was never seeking to validate myself through your opinion of a statement that you took out of context.

princeton princeton said:

I didn't take anything out of context. Your statement wasn't furthered through the rest of your post and thus it should hold up by itself as a single statement. Taking it out of context would mean that you elaborated on it after you stated it in the paragraph which isn't the case.

Taking it out of context is also in the realm of applying something that wasn't relevant to the original statement and reading it back through said statement.

A statement about accessibility to the common person, which that statement was... cannot be interpreted as some sort of illogical commentary on PC processing power/legitimacy.

Don't really understand how you can be this hostile towards something so benign.

But rather than bicker, gonna' go do something productive.

zillion said:

I dont see how u can argue how good Bf3 will be, u seen some vids but i hope most ppl would asume that there are more to a game then what u can showcase.....

In the matter of cod vs. bf for me its not what is being brought up the most that matters, when i pick my fps game then for me cod is the game that feels best, the feeling of swopping guns, reloading, throwing nades, sprint and so on, and i also find bf along with moh more boring, i admit i do suck at using the vehicles in bf, but the alternative to suiciding myself and the poor smuck which of the best intentions seated him/herself as my co-pilot....is spending my time running from spawnpoint to sure death by the zillion snipers camping the ridges/bushes. Cod for me is what brings the most action/adrenalim and i dont understand why the urge of comparing these major fps games to eachother since i dont see them chasing the same concept (except moh maybe, but honestly i think they are chasing 2 cars going each direction)

I hope bf3 will be a good game, coz at the end of the day thats all that matters to me, i belive i can enjoy bf3 if it shines, even if im a hardcore cod player (and by hardcore i do not mean by skillz, but by the playtime i racked up)

Hope u all find what u are looking for and that bf3 will not disapoint u, despite the high expectations :-)

What if i just like call of duty more that doesnt make me a retard, it depends on preferances your argument just shows how much of a ignorant you are why just not get both instead of bashing on eachother their both great games.

ramonsterns said:

What if (1) i just like call of duty more that doesnt make me a retard, it depends on (2) preferances your argument just shows how much of (3) a ignorant you are (4) why just not get both instead of bashing on (5) eachother their both great games.

(6) (btw i like COD more just because of the diversity in weaponry but battlefield is definitly more fun, a tank **** yeah, if BF3 has more weaponry like from different countries then yeah is definitly going to rape Mw3

1. Capitalize your "I"

2. Preferences

3. An Ignorant; run-on sentence

4. Because I did try it, found it lacking before I forked over my money.

5. Poor spacing, they're

6. What kind of thinking is this? Most weapons in CoD are the same, just different skins. You may as well only have 5 weapons, low dmg/high rof, high dmg/low rof, mid dmg/mid rof, shotgun, explosive, plus whatever gimmick they like to flash you and reassure you you should fork over another $60.

Call my a grammar Nazi all you want, not really going to help your case anyways.

to those of you who are saying call of duty wins because it sells more, does that sound reasonable to you guys?? So since Justin Bieber is selling more than the beatles does that mean the beatles pale in comparison to justin Bieber's musical genius?? I dont think so

Hmm, people seemed surprised when they figure out MW3 will out sell BF3 even though BF3 will be far superior in every conceivable way. But don't be surprised, this is Earth. What, did you expect the majority of people in this world to be smart? Heh, dream on. It's easy to confirm the "stupid to intelligent" ratio just by looking at sales. Oh, looky at MW3, it's gonna sell more. Duh.

I could care less though. All CoD's have sucked. The 1st and 2nd were alright for the campaign, but that was just because nobody did a FPS campaign that good before. Multiplayer was mind-numbingly stupid. You couldn't catch me playing that game if it was the last on the planet. Then came the 3rd. Bleh. Just another game were you shoot guns. All of a sudden, MW and MW2 erupted on the scene. And honestly, the only thing that either of those games was good for is pissing off your friends with the noob tube via splitscreen. I will admit, those days were priceless.

What about online then? Ha, what a joke. At least high school dropouts have something to waste their life away with, it's not like they'll get a job any time soon. So I'll let them rot away.

Battlefield on the other hand, even since the beginning has ALWAYS been better. And it doesn't take any intelligence to get that. I'm a BC2 player, yet have played MW and MW2 countless times at a friends house. Umm, BC2 rapes MW2. They shouldn't even be compared. You call MW2 a real FPS? Well, I suggest you go try Forza Motorsport next, because even that is closer to a real FPS than CoD is. No really, it is.

But all my praise goes to BC2, and even it will probably pail in comparison to BF3. So I don't even want to see what Activision has to offer, because we all know it's going to make junk look luxurious. Oh, sorry, didn't mean to give any compliments there...

- Febb

I hate how only battlefield fans post on mw3 posts. i mean, I know you want to defend your game, but you dont need to be a **** about it.

ramonsterns said:

Not a Battlefield fan, but CoD needs to be taken off the map.

It's the cancer killing gaming as we know it and if it keeps going other developers will adopt their money grubbing antics and it'll be World of Warcraft all over again. Bunch of shitty clones that die off half a year after release.

Like Homer Simpson believing rock and roll was perfected in 1974, I say FPS's were perfected in 2003 with BF1942. Everything since has not met the wonder and gameplay we felt when we first played Iwo Jima.

-Giamilton

I don't quite understand your English. Are you an American?

@Guest 1:23 PM: I don't quite understand your ignorance. Are you an American?