Razer announces dual-sensor 6400dpi mice

By on June 9, 2011, 8:00 AM

Razer has introduced a new 4G dual sensor system, which takes advantage of both an optical and a laser sensor for enhanced tracking accuracy. Razer claims the sensor has ten times faster surface detection than any one from the previous generation.

The company has implemented the sensor system into its popular professional gaming mice, starting with the newest incarnations of the Razer Mamba ($130.00 or €130.00) and Razer Imperator ($80.00 or €80.00). Both will be available at razerzone.com this month, and worldwide next month.

The mice calibrate themselves to the surface you're using so that they are primed to optimally track your swipes more rapidly and accurately. The dual sensor system also lets you determine the cutoff height for tracking to stop when the mouse is lifted from the surface. This is useful for gamers who pick up their mice to accommodate wide swiping motions, such as in low sensitivity FPS games.

The flagship pride of the Razer brand, the Razer Mamba (pictured left) features 2.4GHz gaming-grade wireless technology, a 6400dpi 4G dual sensor system, and longer battery life. Here are the product features:

• Gaming Grade Wireless Technology
  • 6400dpi 4G Dual Sensor System
  • Dual mode wired /wireless functionality
  • 1000Hz Ultrapolling /1ms response time
  • Multi-Color Lighting
  • Up to 200 inches per second* /50g acceleration
  • Approximate size: 128mm x 70mm x 42.5mm
  • Battery Life: 16 hours (continuous gaming usage)

The Razer Imperator (pictured right) delivers exceptional ergonomics that reduces strain during extended gameplay, features the new 6400dpi 4G dual sensor system and an improved rubberized side grip. Here are the product's features:

• 6400dpi 4G Dual Sensor System
  • Rubberized contoured thumb grip for added control
  • Ergonomic right-handed design
  • Adjustable side buttons
  • Razer Synapse Onboard Memory
  • Up to 200 inches per second* /50g acceleration
  • Seven independently programmable Hyperesponse buttons
  • On-the-Fly Sensitivity adjustment
  • Approx. size in mm; 123(l) x 71(w) x 42(h)

"I'm really excited by the leaps and bounds we've come in developing the world's most precise and advanced sensor technology, Robert "RazerGuy" Krakoff, President of Razer USA, said in a statement. "We worked closely with many pro-gamers to fine-tune the sensor under intense gaming conditions, ensuring it achieved a level of tracking accuracy that met their high-level demands. The mouse is core to any gaming setup. It's where our roots are, when we pioneered competitive gaming and developed the world's first gaming mouse. Today, it is still one of the key areas for our R&D and it's quite exciting to bring such a significant sensor evolution to gamers worldwide."

Arris Arris said:

Starting to resemble the current shape of the Logitech Performance MX...

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

4G dual sensor system, so.... 8G? That's more G's than my phone is getting... just a measly 3G.

example1013 said:

Now it's got almost as many Gs as my iPod, and more than my dad's iPod touch.

pcnthuziast said:

6400 dpi seems like overkill to me, but I'm sure there are some that could make use of it. Should be received well by those whose motto is "too much is never enough".

MilwaukeeMike said:

So should this mouse be used with the 'palm grip' or 'claw grip'? I ask because it's 'exceptional ergonomics' no doubt favor one over the other. I've accidentally bought mice intended for the palm grip and had to return them because I felt like a toddler fisting a crayon (or couldn't reach the buttons). I have better dexterity in my finger tips than in my palm (crazy, I know...) and I just wonder what the best method is.

Regardless... I don't know if I could buy a mouse named after that 90's wannabe Starburst candy.

Why is so hard to do a good and confortable mouse?

example1013 said:

Milwaukeemike said:

If your hands are big enough, it doesn't really matter. I have mice of both kinds, but I still keep my palm off of them, because my hands are huge, and don't really fit either kind.

Tall people get shafted in today's society.

yRaz yRaz said:

I have a trackball, always found that they are more precise than a mouse. The higher DPi settings seem like a gimmick, I've had a chance to use a razor mouse a few times and never used more the 1600 setting.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

yRaz said:

It's not a gimmick though. You probably have never used a higher setting because you don't know how to configure it properly. You have to disable the "increase accuracy" option within windows to kill the software algorithm that controls how fast the cursor speeds up based on your mouse travel. The next thing you do is lower the sensitivity, or "speed" in the options of the software you're using, like in fps games - which again, is just another algorithm - and increase the dpi setting on the mouse. This way the mouse hardware is calculating MORE of your tracking coordinates, which is much more accurate than software filling in the gaps, so to speak, when you increase speed settings.

*pets his OCZ Behemoth*

yRaz yRaz said:

customcarvin said:

That's really interesting actually. I never used them on my computer, it was always someone else's so I don't know how it was configured. they are nice mice, don't get me wrong, I just prefer a trackball. I have the sensitivity maxed in my trackball software and have it turn all the way down in most games.

finally a mouse to keep up with my uber-micro

Zilpha Zilpha said:

Well, I think they were referring to the Black Mamba and wanted to invoke badass images of fearsome creatures.

DeathAdder, Mamba, Naga - All snake\serpent.

BlackWidow, Lycosa, Arctosa - all spiders.

I doubt they had candy in mind when they named their product lines.

Personally, I stick with the Naga mice. Those mice are like lounge chairs for the hand.

Emin3nce said:

Ok so...

Someone's going to spend XX on this super mouse - they're presumably an avid gamer. Or just a rich douche.

One of the features is to make up for 'Low sensitivity FPS" which, really... Most avid gamers would know how to change mouse sensitivity in the game, rather than upgrade hardware...

So that leads to the conclusion this mouse is for rich douches?

Problem?

princeton princeton said:

Naw I'll take the G400 logitech just announced.

treetops treetops said:

Hmm I never thought I would always use my 2000 dpi mouse at max all the time but here I am 2 years later and I always have it at max and cannot stand slower mice. I wonder if I could get used to a 6400 dpi mouse, sounds way to fast but who knows. I wonder how much more being wireless makes this cost.