EA pulls Crysis 2 from Steam, now 'only on Origin' (updated)

By on June 15, 2011, 10:15 AM

Update: EA has announced that it had nothing to do with Steam's removal of Crysis 2. Instead, the mega-publisher said that Steam dropped the game because of conflicting business terms involving Crytek and another online game service. The full statement is below:

"It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA. Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including GameStop, Amazon, Origin.com and more."

Original: Following the launch of its Origin digital distribution platform earlier this month, EA is making bold moves to draw people into using their service and steal some of the limelight that Steam has been getting for a few years. Namely, the giant publisher has yanked Crysis 2 from Valve's platform to make it available "only on Origin."

While other digital distribution services including Impulse and Direct2Drive still carry the game, we wouldn't be surprised to see that change soon given how aggressively EA is approaching the establishment of their revamped online store.

Another title released this week, Alice: Madness Returns, is also missing from Valve's Steam and marked on EA's website as available "only on Origin" -- though, again, Impulse and Direct2Drive are also selling the game.

The company could follow a similar strategy when its highly anticipated Battlefield 3 title debuts in October. That said, many other EA published games are still available through Steam, including this year's Bulletstorm, Dragon Age II and Shift 2 Unleashed as well as several older titles like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Mass Effect 2.

Much like Valve's Steam, EA's new Origin service functions as a single store and gaming platform on the PC that lets customers purchase, download and keep track of their games. It includes several social features to interact with friends and is also available on Apple's iOS devices -- no word on when (or if) an Android version will be launched.

Saturday said:

Are you fricking kidding me?! Seriously...I'm going to be pissed if I can't get Battlefield 3 on Steam. Congratulations EA...you just lost a lot of money.

I agree you ^. I am not buying EA games if they aren't on Steam. I don't think EA realizes that they don't have many games that people will actually want to buy. Crysis was one of the few games that are actually worth it and considering part 2 was a failure, I cannot help, but see EA's store flunking.

Muggs said:

Speaking I only buy games on steam when they have those amazing sales I doubt I will ever own another EA game. Since going to the Origin store you see zero sales and only full MSRP on their games. Oh well their loss.

arrh nuts, EA you greedy sods. WHY

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

If you check out Origin, They are offering Left4dead 1&2 and Portal 2. Unless we hear in a couple days that Steam has done the same thing, I bet they have a deal in place.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Same, I am not buying an EA game if its Orgin only, I only use Steam and will continue this for several reasons other an just great prices.

EA, if you seriously make Battlefield 3 Orgins only you have lost another customer.

Personally, I really wish Steam had an app for iOS devices so I can see what friends are online and chat to them but thats about the only thing Orgin has that looks of any use.

Silly EA, trying to make more money.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And so it begins...

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Oh well I'll just get a hard copy then for BF3

EA is obviously hurting its partnership with Steam in order to (artificially) promote its news platform.

Nevertheless, I'm a little bit confused by the previous comments.

Did you really ever boycott a retail store proposing the game you were expecting to buy, because one other retail store did not have it?

Is the place you buy your game more important than the gaming experience?

limpangel limpangel said:

How am I supposed to buy a game on Origin outside of US/Canada if the Billing Information at checkout only permits those two? Also in my EA profile my country is not even listed.

Also nowhere to be found on Steam the already launched "Alice: Madness Returns". "Star Wars: The Old Republic" will be an "exclusive" as far as I heard. Wonder if Mass Effect 3 will get the same treatment.

For me the message from EA is clear: "Can't buy our games? Then pirate them."

Welp, that's three games I intended to purchase when they went on sale on Steam, but now won't be buying at all. Good work EA.

limpangel limpangel said:

Sarcasm said:

Oh well I'll just get a hard copy then for BF3

They will make you register the copy with Origin anyway.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Nevertheless, I'm a little bit confused by the previous comments.

Is the place you buy your game more important than the gaming experience?

Its called having perspective, and knowing that if you don't make your voice of dissent heard when they start this poo, they'll keep doing it and get worse. Having the game available on multiple stores will lead to the inevitable sales and offers, which probably won't come if the game is exclusive to one store.

People talk about hurting Sony or hurting EA, but the reality is that these huge corporations don't get hurt, not in any meaningful way. In the end the only person that gets hurt is the consumer.

Another Smack in the face for PC gamers, and people who actually buy games.

insect said:

For me it comes down to not having 230942039842 background apps running when I want to play one game.... I like to fire up steam and that's all and have all my games there. Its a performance thing.

I guess I could install Origin, let it install the game, and then shortcut it through steam, assuming that it won't auto-launch Origin.

Now, could I shut down one and only run the other when I switch games? Sure. Do I want to? No.

EA is making a lot of dumb moves recently, IMHO. I hope they change their minds quickly before going the way of the dodo.

Personally, I don't go to retail outlets to buy PC games anymore. I buy from one place: Steam. If the games are not on steam I don't buy them. I have no desire to have my games fragmented across multiple applications. I want one application, and since Steam is publisher agnostic that is the one I'm sticking with.

i'm not getting an origin account, much like how i'm not getting a uplay, or Windows LIVE account.

goodbye bad sequel

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

limpangel said:

Sarcasm said:

Oh well I'll just get a hard copy then for BF3

They will make you register the copy with Origin anyway.

But EA makes less money this way, considering they are charging hard copy prices on Orgin anyway, they basically lose a small percentage that the Shop rightly takes as profit.

So yeah you'll still need orgin, but they get less money at least...

Saturday said:

It's not about whining because you have to used a different retail store. Keyword being retail. This is having to sign up for another service, download another program, and switch to and run said program to play 1, maybe 2 games. It's about not being able to purchase and run all of your games from one program anymore. It's a pathetic tactic: they know they can't compete with Steam (seriously, why try?) so they decided to boycott it and force customers to buy into their stupid - and second - attempt.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

why do I have a feeling that someone is going to contact LULz about EA....

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

There loss as PC gaming has centered itself around Steam...

albertjkruger said:

I'm dumbfounded at (most of) the comments... EA is a business, considering the popularity of Steam it's to be expected that EA would want to challenge Valve for this/that part of the gaming market. Are EA way behind (with Origin)? Yes. Will Origin ever be on equal footing with Steam? Most probably not (even by a country mile). But as a business decision it is really not that unexpected.

For users, obviously it will be a pain to use Origin for a select few games, but that's hardly something that will convince EA to give up. One can only hope that in an attempt to market their platform they'll run specials or other incentives to convince customers to make use of Origin. Rather than just forcing them into it. (Played Orange Box much?)

Ah, well I do not care if Battlefield 3 is the best game ever made, if its not on steam im not getting it. I will not be bullied into using EAs' origin as I already have steam for my games. I dont need another game manager running in the background.

Oh well - and I was considering getting that game....

Guess they lose that sale.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Not surprised this is happening especially with the success Valve has had with Steam, just a little taken back that EA would be the one to get it rolling. I imagined Activision would try something like this first with some form of Blizzard integration. But I guess they really don't have enough relevant IP's to do this anymore. I just hope this doesn't turn into some publisher digital distribution war, requiring all of us to have unique apps and accounts for every little thing.

darkshadoe said:

Those seem to be retail copies only from what I saw. Which itself is surprising since they are the exclusive partners with Valve in this front, and now seem to be trying to undermine them.

albertjkruger said:

A widely unpopular business decision it seems, that in the end might cost them on the digital front depending on the future titles. These things aren't beneficial to the consumer and demonstrate they care more about the bottom line than "electronic art".

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

albertjkruger said:

I agree to a point, though ultimately it is about the customers and what they want. EA has a long tarnished history of not understanding that fully. That being said, market competition has always been a good thing, though there are already several players in this market besides Steam and Origin, and Origin is WAY late to the game. If Origin is going to succeed, EA needs to suck up their pride and start listening to what their customers want (No more DLC points or DRM for starters).

Chazz said:

I own mass effect 1 and 2, Battlefield BC2, Dragon age origins,awakening and 2, crysis 1 as well as crysis warhead on steam. I was looking forward to the sequels to almost everyone of those games.

If they aren't available on steam I won't buy any of them. It isn't a debate for me.

has anyone complaining about this even used Origin yet? it's not like Steam where u HAVE to have it running to play the game, u can easily run the game just like how you would if you were to buy a hard copy and install it. You simply use it to download the game and then you can run it like any other game, the game itself does not depend on Origin like how Steam games do, plus im also sure you can link the game to your steam account just like how you can if you buy a hard copy of the game from a retail store

yRaz yRaz said:

Is it just linked or can you activate it too? Sorry, but when I get a digital download the picture is the only sense of ownership I get and steam doesn't give you that with non steam games. Also, the automatic update feature is covenant. It isn't just about "have you tried origin yet." People have chosen a platform they like and want to stick to it. And, as someone else mentioned, they can't buy games from origin because they only accept sales from US and Canada.

Maybe the gaming industry has to hit rock bottom before things get better...And, on another note, What the F#*( is Crysis 2 still $60?

I swear to Bigfoot, it EA does the same thing to Mass Effect 3, then I'm not buying any more of their games, ever! I use steam! I chose steam and I'm sticking with it! I've even bought games in steam that I've already bought retail (like Resident Evil 5) just because I want to have all my games in steam! I bought Mass Effect 1 and 2 in steam, and if I don't get the 3rd I'm gonna have some kinda problem with EA.

We don't need 16 "steam-wannabes" running in the background on the computer, but this is where it's heading now because every company like EA and Blizzard want their own version of steam. Can you imagine what it would be like keeping track of friends in a situation like that? And what would the "community" in each of these apps mean to a person being pulled in 16 different directions? This is so stupid! I don't get why they have to do this! With steam there is no piracy! Everybody pays for the games. There's only PROFIT!

I hate EA with a passion right now.

/facepalm

EA has a horrendous reputation for making asinine decisions and NOT caring about or listening to their customers.

They are in the game 'publishing' business not the 'digital distribution' business.

What's next...EA Brick and Mortar locations which will be the only place to buy hard copy versions of their games?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't know what deal exactly EA has with Steam, but I think it could have just sold the game for a lower price. Steam is taking it's cut, say 20%. If EA sold the game at a 10% discount that would bring people over while still giving them the option to buy at Steam.

TekGun TekGun said:

Just imagaine if a lot of publishers start doing this, requiring your personal details cc numbers etc all held in on multiple companies servers, instead of just maybe one or two, no thanks. If this is the way it's going then I'll just go back to buying hard copies from amazon, if i deam the publisher worthy of my monies.

Guys, I suggest you do what I just did. Go to the EA site and find their forum. Make an account if you don't already have one, and let EA know how you feel! There's a lot of angry people out there now, and we all gotta let EA know what the score is.

howzz1854 said:

EA you *****, how many people do you think will want to have 5~6 digital platform running at a time for their games. Steam has been out for years, and has gained a major ground with gamers, asking gamers now to switch or adopt to more than one digital distribution platform is a risky stupid move. there're ways to rake in profits, inconvenience and making customers jump through hoops is not one of them. imagine if all publishers were to have their own dist platforum for their games. the amount of clutter, and inconvenience that'll create.

yRaz yRaz said:

I just made a post over at the EA forums under the Crysis section and noticed the whole forum is being spammed with naprosyn ADs.

EDIT: I just found this http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176517p1.html

Perhaps it wasn't EA's decision?

DokkRokken said:

Very odd decision by Valve, and I hope it is removed. They're doing PC Gamers a disservice.

I wonder how this affects people who bought Crysis 2 through Steam with regards to updates/patches?

yRaz yRaz said:

DokkRokken said:

As far as i can tell you will still receive updates and can download it through steam at any time. The only problem with that is all the DLC will have to be purchased elsewhere. Or, if you REALLY want to, you could activate it on origin....

herpaderp said:

So, they picked the worst game out of their lineup to yank from Steam's catalog....seems like they did gamers a service

Seriously though, I can only hope they get their heads our their rears and stop trying to make things worse for themselves.

EDIT: After looking at that link from yRaz, I guess I spoke too soon. Either way, at least it wasn't one of the more popular/better games that was pulled.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I have no more respect for EA. As much as I want BF3, I will not buy it anywhere but Steam.

n00bzZy said:

Personally the only reason I started to buy games is Steam, I guess it's back to torrents as far as EA games go...

EDIT: I just found this http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176517p1.html

Perhaps it wasn't EA's decision?

----------------------------------------

Just need a rep from Steam to step forward to confirm or deny

r8bwp said:

EA green with envy at steam, I love using steam simple and invariably bug free, looks after my licenses and games, Clean install just download my games again, installed about half of them 250 gig.

Guess i won't be buying an ea game in the near future.

Loyal STEAM Customer

LulzSec if you're listening... SICK 'EM (Origin)!

Pff...you kids and your internet rage these days...LOL! I couldn't care less if I had to register at a dog food website to download a title I wanted. 'All these extra apps running in the background just so I can play a game?' Who the crap said you need to keep "all those apps" running in the first place? How many games do you play at the same time? Turn all that BS off if your concerned about "performance". "Waaaaaaah...I want my game now! I want my game here! I want I want I want!" All these statements of how EA "keeps making poor decisions" and yet they remain one of, if not the top publisher...do you really think they're gonna be concerned about 10 to 50,000 Steam fanbois butthurt that they can't get a title on a platform of their choice (given the likelihood that more than half of you touting "EA is never gonna get my money" will probably get BF3 within 30 days of it's release)? They are very likely going to set a new one day sales record on that title...cry some more?

What a bunch of Veruca Salts.

(Dons flame-proof suit) Flame on kids!

yRaz yRaz said:

(Dons flame-proof suit) Flame on kids!

Does it protect against superheated plasma?

EA you simpletons! You would make more money if you make your games available on both platforms and try and make yours more appealing. Everyone is NOT going to jump off the Steam wagon and jump onto the EA one. We are gamers. We don't like to game with a million processes running. Now if steam made its chat available on all mobile phones that would be the icing on the cake which is the the only thing EA has going although for those who use Android that isn't available. Plus if you think only people in US & Canada play EA games, you are all so freaking dense! There are gamers all over the world so because of that technical detail, they couldn't use your stuff even to try. I think you all need to step down and hire people who care about their customers because it IS how you all get paid...by us that is if we don't torrent your stuff. Sadly I bought BFBC2 and was looking forward to other EA titles...not anymore! I will use only one platform and that is STEAM. Why do you think Steam is better than you? THEY LISTEN TO THE NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE!!!!!

slamscaper slamscaper said:

I use Steam pretty exclusively and I always go there first for new releases. That said, Steam does have it's own set of quirks that tick me off every now and then.

Valve monopolizing the DD market really isn't a good thing. Strong competition is definitely needed.

Anyway, I don't understand why it's such a huge deal that Steam won't be offering a few AAA titles here and there. They are still available via retail hard copies, so just go snag a copy at a local retailer (or order it online) and be done with it.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

What about for those of us that already purchased the game months ago? Will it still be "supported" via steam or did I lose the game entirely?

I demand my money back if I can't play it any more! Great work, EA. Turds!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I demand my money back if I can't play it any more! Great work, EA. Turds!

No. Apparently you can link your titles from Steam to Origin without issue. I don't know about dlc though.