Comcast shows off 1Gbps broadband, next-gen Xfinity TV

By on June 17, 2011, 9:00 AM

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts showed off his company's latest and greatest tech at the NCTA's Cable Show 2011 yesterday. Using a demonstration cable network, the executive wowed attendees by downloading all 23 episodes of "30 Rock" Season 5 -- close to nine hours of content -- in 1 minute and 39 seconds. He then showed the speedtest.net result measuring the throughput, which indicated the connection had sustained 1084.71 Mbps.

"This demonstration of extreme 1 gigabit-per-second speed on our network is another leap forward in innovation, and we're excited to work with developers to see what amazing new applications could take advantage of the next evolution of broadband," Roberts said. Comcast engineers bonded 32 channels on the company's DOCSIS network in Chicago to deliver one billion bits per second over 11 miles of fiber and coax to the NCTA show floor.

What wasn’t addressed during the demo is when home users might see such speeds, though we're sure it'll be quite a while considering their top residential plan offers 105Mbps/10Mbps for $105 a month. There was no mention of their 250GB data cap either, which we assume would have to be raised to match the increased speeds.

The CEO also took time to demonstrate the next generation of its Xfinity TV service, which will leverage cloud-based computing to provide an enhanced "Xcalibur" program guide and applications for the TV -- think Facebook, traffic and weather reports and Pandora Internet radio. You can watch a demo in the video posted above.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

Don't care for comcast and data caps will screw over gamers big time. I was doing some shopping for wireless internet and the gues told me that they sell buy data caps, in GBs. He asked me if I was a gamer, i said yes and he did not recommend that I should get it and told me of a kid who got it and played COD for 4 hours and used up 8GBs. So doing some math: (250/8)*4=approx 125 hours of gaming a month and of course that doesn't include other online stuff or ondemand shows. I do wonder if watching regular TV uses up the data cap too...

blimp01 said:

lol oops i accidentally downloaded a 14 GB game in 30 minutes

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Would be insane if you could just download and use it unlimitedly without having any caps or anything... That said $105 quite heavy price tag but guess it would be worth it.

Hmmm :P

Impossible.

Whats the point if you have stupid data caps? Oh that's right, at that price they got your money and that's all that matters to Comcast. Let's say if Joe internet user used this at full speed you would hit the stupid data cap of 250GB at about under 3 and a half hours. They have caps on the internet use but not their wallets. Seriously, wake up Comcast subscribers, you're definitely getting ripped off again for sure with this 1Gbps broadband.

"lol oops i accidentally downloaded a 14 GB game in 30 minutes "

Watch out..50gb limit per month..or somethin like..and your speed will get throttled..to 56kbps!!hahahaha..

@guest who said "impossible". Oh yeah, totally possible. Even at 22Mbps, my current comcast connection is already faster than the throughput of my computer DVD-ROM. This was not "possible" just 5-6 years ago, and it is a low-end business line.

pabloker said:

In my city (Argentina's south), i pay 70 USD for 10 Mbps connection. I think you are lucky.

Cota Cota said:

119.2MBps *gets hi pressure* that dl cap better be big so i can try those expensive games before wasting my money.

on 3G in south africa its 500dollars for 20gig

fpsgamerJR62 said:

What's the point of having a 1 Gbps line if there is a data cap in place ? Kind of like running a Formula 1 car with only a quarter tank of gas. By the way, I'm paying $37 for my combined landline and 1 Mbps DSL connection.

try virginmedia in uk 50/100mb unlimited usage :D

but i do hope they bring the 1gbps to virginmedia cable network ;)

In US maybe.

Can somebody help me find US on this chart?