Take-Two planning more Duke Nukem

By on June 22, 2011, 7:30 AM

Gamers waited over a decade to play the official sequel to Duke Nukem. The title was originally announced by 3D Realms in 1997. It was finally released on June 14, 2011 in North America, and on June 10, 2011 in the rest of the world. The reviews that followed were poor – they basically concluded the game sucks.

Duke Nukem Forever will not, however, be the game that killed the franchise. In a recent interview with Forbes, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick hinted that we would be seeing more of Duke. Making another game anytime soon would not be a good idea. Then again, I really can't see Duke on TV, or even in a movie. Okay, I can see him in a movie, but I'm scared it will be abysmal (think Doom).

Does Take-Two own the intellectual property surrounding Duke? Could you spin that out into not just new games, but movies and TV?
We don't really talk about it in detail but you will see future Duke IP coming from this company.

One other aspect came up in the interview: the raunchiness of the game. While many die-hard fans of Duke Nukem insist this is just how the game is meant to be, some believe the fact that it wasn't tasteful only further hurt it. Although Zelnick understands the need to properly label a game as inappropriate for certain audiences, he believes that once you get over that hurdle, you can do whatever the hell you want:

David Ewalt: Are you concerned about criticism over the adult content and humor in your new game Duke Nukem Forever?

Strauss Zelnick: We take ratings guidelines and marketing guidelines as seriously as a heart attack around here. We do not market mature products to children. When friends of mine say, "Oh, I plan to get Red Dead Redemption for my fifteen year old," I say, "You know this product is intended for adults?" We are incredibly serious about it.

That said, when we put something out I stand behind it, and will not compromise. When you put all those things all together it's difficult to be critical of the company. Because here in America, thank God, we have the ability to do what we want.

What is there left to be said? I'm sorry if you don't like it. Don't consume it.

While I can't comment on whether the game was a good mature title (because I have yet to play it), I have to say that its launch trailer (the NSFW one) was very well done. I have never seen a trailer that was so entertaining.

I'll open up a little secret about the duke series...

Previous version of it came out in times when there was pretty much no control over the customer age, and most who got their hands on it were kids and adults alike (enthusiasts).

Now we have a market with strong notion about the age brackets, and those who enjoyed playing the game when they were kids are adults now, with a different perspective, expectation and a healthy share of cynicism.

There is no way this update in the series will revive their love for the game; it's all just kid's memories. And the new generation that even might find it funny and entertaining will not be able to play it because they do not pass in their age yet.

So, there you have it, a game for no-one.

NeoFlux said:

Too bad i've already consumed this... did not liked it and was too late to spit out/have my money back

I swear i'll never buy another game before i play demo

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You won't have to worry about this story for another 12 years. Duke Nukem Geritol Edition

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Future IP = DLC?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sorry, the king is dead baby.

Seriusly more Duke Nukem!!!? What for?

Duke Nukem Forever will not, however, be the game that killed the franchise.

Our next Duke Nukem title will be.

Games like this are why piracy is great.

Tried the game, discovered it was balls, did not buy.

example1013 said:

Games like this are why piracy is great.

Tried the game, discovered it was balls, did not buy.

You...know that the amount you played was probably covered in the demo, right?

If you didnt like it why would you think about pirating it???????

Heck I can remember my x-wife building maps for this shooter, playing head to head on 9600baud modems, god it was great when I got my usr 28.8 dsvd modem I could talk and play at the same time on one phone line.....and If i remember right you could turn the taunts off just like doom, unreal,and most other games maybe its just that I like head to head or online games. just running the gauntlet doesn't thrill me I got bored with doom once I figured out the monsters stayed still till you got close.. Online its a different story, call me old school or MATURE the bs doesn't bother me and if it does I will turn off the taunts or turn down the volume . because it was "rough language" in the original one I don't expect less now and that seems to be the major complaint that I am hearing

princeton princeton said:

If you didnt like it why would you think about pirating it???????

He pirated to to try it. LRN2READ.

jonelsorel said:

Really, how will you make it better than DNF, Take 2? Will it be having two black girls giving him head this time, maybe a rim-job too? You really didn't insist on the racial side of things enough this time around.. Or maybe force-feeding feces to enemies? Maybe him pissing on an electrical outlet ? (I sure hope for this one, somewhere in the beginning of the game; high voltage too..).

It's amazing how that poster of DNF with ..it.. posing against the red white and blue flag still exists on the internet.. Or maybe folks really didn't notice anything wrong with that image, because that's what America really represents?

You'd have to go LIGHT YEARS in the opposite direction to make the next installment better than the utter horse crap DNF is. I'll let you guess what direction that is.

People who have never played DNF should not write an article on it in any way.

If you want your money back sell it on ebay?

yorro said:

"Hey guys, Gold is a beta version, sorry about that. Now here's the real deal"

What is with you people and that Doom movie? Am I the only person on the planet who thinks it kicks ***? Quit bitching!

princeton princeton said:

Big ******* deal. It wasn't as good as Troll 2.

@Guest Doom the movie was awesome, that transporter to mars was the best tech in a movie I have ever seen, and who can forget the nanowall and Dr Carmack lol. And I have seen pretty much every Sci-Fi film since Metropolis that was made around 1926. So suck it Doom haters ;)

I love how everyone says it sucks.....the reviews were terrible and they compared it to several other block buster FPS games. What people dont realize is this game was ment to be a joke....duke nukem if you look back is basically like a parody of an action star with his wise cracks loose women and aliens. the game really wasnt terrible for being what it was, a comedic look at what makes Duke,Duke. The game was not made for the average user....its more of a novelty game...its not as bad as lets say brink but its still a decent very humerous game. To truly appreciate this game you had to play the original duke. The only part i found unsettleing is kiling the preggo alien women

gingerbill said:

i assume duke nukem forever sold ok because of its history , i assume the next game wont sell well.

I refused to buy it the minute i saw those tacky adverts with dancing girls , those adverts made me cringe .