Leaked: the HTC Eternity has the biggest display on a smartphone

By on June 30, 2011, 2:00 PM

The HTC Eternity has leaked. At first glance, it may look like most HTC handsets, but it's got one thing that we've never seen before: a monster 4.7-inch display, the biggest we've seen so far on a smartphone. The Super LCD screen has a WVGA resolution, according to the German website HTC Inside. I guess the name comes from the fact that the screen looks like it just goes on forever.

The biggest problem with having such a huge screen is of course battery life. The device apparently has a 1,650mAh battery inside, but we won't know how long that will last until HTC makes the device official. If it doesn't last at least the full day, we won't be able to say that it's worth the purchase.

The phone is clearly running the Windows Phone operating system. Judging by the front facing camera, the HTC Eternity will likely ship with Windows Phone 7.5 (codenamed Mango). This also means the device won't be out until this fall.

Beyond the screen and the OS, other specifications have also leaked. The HTC Eternity is powered by a single-core 1.5GHz processor, features an 8MP auto-focus camera with dual-LED flash supporting 720p HD recording, a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera, and 16GB of internal storage. In terms of connectivity, it has the usual Wi-Fi, DLNA, GPS, and Bluetooth support.

The HTC Eternity's specifications easily beat what the current Windows phones offer, and this is to be expected with Windows Phone 7.5 coming out soon. Still, we want to see what else Nokia has up its sleeve (in addition to codename Sea Ray), not to mention Samsung, LG, Dell, Fujitsu, and ZTE.

This device tells us something else about the Windows Phone. It appears that upcoming Windows phones will be very unique from each other, which is great news for consumers.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I'm hoping for a unfolding screen with that new tech recently showed off. Can't wait to roll my iphone out into an ipad.

hmmm, you ppl should read about a homepage called www.gsmarena.com ! title is fake, dell streak have 5" and is a android smartphone ! http://www.gsmarena.com/dell_streak-3353.php see for yourself!

Panda218 Panda218 said:

The dell streak is considered to be a tablet, but good try ^^

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

spydercanopus said:

I know, that display is going to be real game changer. It's so exciting to see those products that a few years ago were described as "in the future scientists will be able to..."

I think soon enough you'll just have a little matchbook sized device that plugs into a display of your choice. That's gonna be SOOOOO cool.

One thing is almost for sure is that Apple will probably be at the forefront of bringing that technology to market, so I look forward to buying the knockoff version. =P

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

With the Dell Streak, the line between tablet and smartphone is so thin. I'd consider it a smartphone. It does everything a tablet would as well and make phone calls. I believe that is the definition. Tablets are not capable of cellular phone broadband or are just not designed to use these for their wireless connections, only WiFi and Bluetooth.

Anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

1977TA said:

Bitchin' screen....but win7??? Come on!

Panda218 Panda218 said:

Too bad Dells page has it listed as a tablet...

Yours truly,

Ignorant prick

Panda218 Panda218 said:

Oh I forgot right at site you linked

"Tablet with support for GSM voice communication, SMS, and MMS."

^^

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Panda218 said:

Too bad Dells page has it listed as a tablet...

Yours truly,

Ignorant prick

*In Fez's voice*

A-burn!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Princeton said:

It's samsung's ****ing screen. Why would apple be the first to bring it to market? Samsung doesn't sell anyone AMOLED based displays anymore.

Dude, smoke a bowl and relax.

Everybody and their mom is working on these. Samsung is not the only one. Is everyone here a ******* fanboy? I wasn't thinking of Samsung's particular version, if it makes you feel better.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

1977TA said:

Bitchin' screen....but win7??? Come on!

Actually I think Win7 will gain some momentum once Nokia releases a flag ship device. I watched many demos of the new Win7 Codename Mango and it looks pretty damn sexy. I don't think I'll get rid of my android device, but I would like to see Microsoft gain some mobile market.

Muggs said:

So we went from phones the size of bricks to small enough to lose in your pocket and now back to bricks. This whole bringing back the 80s thing is getting out of hand

herpaderp said:

Panda218 said:

Oh I forgot right at site you linked

"Tablet with support for GSM voice communication, SMS, and MMS."

^^

lol, you can't fail much harder than that.

Muggs said:

So a 4"+ screen makes it a brick? I guess, if your hands are the size of an 8 year old. Also, back to the 80's? Yeah, I hate that our phones are now nearly as powerful as computers, don't weigh 10lbs, and can only do just about everything. Damn these new-age electronics and all their innovation.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but the new "bricks" do a few more things than Gordon Geckko's brick.

....now if they resurrect the Pinto...I'm with ya.

Muggs said:

It was tongue in cheek. Thank you to those with a sense of humor.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

It was tongue in cheek. Thank you to those with a sense of humor.

...So was mine obviously I think your detector is is off.

What capability or feature is it that takes it from smartphone to tablet?...anyone?

Muggs said:

red1776 said:

It was tongue in cheek. Thank you to those with a sense of humor.

...So was mine obviously I think your detector is is off.

Not you Red it was directed at Mr Derp. Of course with a name like that ... :-)

avoidz avoidz said:

It's cool, but portable batteries really need to evolve to keep pace. Not lasting even a day is ridiculous for a mobile device.

Been out of contract for a while...waiting for a Mango phone...was ready to jump on the Nokia but looks like some nice alternatives are starting to appear.

You are wrong, Dell Streak has a 5" screen and last time I checked 5 is bigger than 4.7.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

haha! Princeton comments were either removed or he removed them!

Panda218 Panda218 said:

But the Dell Streak is considered a tablet good sir see comments above

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Only a 0.3" difference between the Dell Streak and the HTC Eternity in terms of screen size. Perhaps the line between tablets and smartphones is starting to blur ?