New Battlefield 3 multiplayer footage surfaces, Battlelog detailed

By on July 21, 2011, 3:30 PM

Although many of you are undoubtedly still chapped about EA not offering Battlefield 3 through Steam, we imagine most hardcore FPS gamers will stop at nothing to get their mitts on the title when it launches on October 25. If you haven't crossed the shooter off your list of must-haves, you should definitely check out the fresh gameplay footage posted online this week.

The unofficial clips show more than 15 minutes of multiplayer combat from a prerelease build. In other words, they've been "leaked," so we wouldn't be surprised if EA has them yanked. Although there's probably only a limited window to savor that forbidden fruit, the publisher has just released a minute-long multiplayer trailer that you'll have all the time in the world to ogle.

Battlefield 3 SDCC 2011 Operation Metro Gameplay Trailer

In addition to the new videos, EA has shared a few morsels about Battlefield 3's social networking and statistics platform. Although we've long known about the the military shooter's "Battlelog," the service was further exposed by a couple of leaked screenshots last week. EA has since confirmed that those images were legitimate and has posted some more shots on its blog.

The company said that Battlelog will make Battlefield 3 a more social experience than previous iterations by changing how gamers communicate, play, compete and share content with their friends across all computing platforms, including handsets. One of the screenshots in particular shows a real-time "Battlefeed" that will display status updates -- not unlike Facebook.

Cueto_99 said:

Damn it looks good! Too bad it wont come out on Steam... Greedy EA... At least until this problem is solved I'll have time to update my graphics cards (yeah... Plural) LOL

Don't care about the multiplayer anymore as I won't pay for the game if it's not on Steam!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Right.

RaiDeR55 said:

Maybe buy a Retail copy then.Unless Digital copy is the only way.Since you all don't want to use EA Origin's ? Digital service.Be kinda sad to miss out on such a great cool game,Just because it isn't on STEAM ?...

jetkami said:

90% of my games are on Steam. While Steam has done alot to improve their service there are times when they suck. Bf2bc would not launch once because of the steam client. It took a week to resolve as he Steam tech was a complete jerk. I welcome the competition. It will suck using both services (Origin and steam but in the end history has proved that its good to have competition.

Maybe this will force the development of Half-Life 3? I am not paying $60 for it. I remember the first week of Bf2bc...the games multiplayer was too laggy to play for about 2 weeks.

Xero07 said:

Can't wait! Looks awesome.

Why would anyone pass up on this game because its not being on steam? use d2d or any other digital service or just buy a copy.

I believe the game is coming out October 25th and not November 25th?

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I don't understand why no availability on Steam is a non-starter for so many people. It's like saying that if the waiter at a restaurant doesn't pour your water for you, you won't drink it. Go out and buy the game at a store, you spoiled, whiny, steaming turds.

yorro said:

Its not just in Origin. Just don't buy in Origin.

pcnthuziast said:

Retail for me. I wouldn't miss this game for anything!!!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Retail copy all the way. I mean I really have grown to like Steam but it can not keep me from this badboy! BF2ers have been waiting to long! Plus BF2 didn't have steam at it was just fine.

Why the over-reliance on Steam..?

I maintain 3 computer systems & find that just buying 3 copies of each game. That way I have hard copies of everything, if/when computer needs formatted, etc.

Even have a copy on my thumbdrive.. so all u need is the key-codes and installing my games are a snap! But how many of you only game on Laptops, where Steam, seems to be the transient type persons choice.

Plus, how can you have a library of your games on the shelve... make no sense.

looks like crysis 2...or worse..

Those who had the will to buy it but finally they won't 'cause it won't be on Steam, simply they lie.

They just fooling themselves. None else.

ramonsterns said:

Oh boy, Bad Company 2.5.

Shoot rocket at building on border of map = Scorch mark

Shoot rocket at statue = Scorch mark

Shoot rocket at building = Crappy cooked debris falls in the same place every time regardless of angle it received the hit

Call me when they decide to make a game with actual destructible environments instead of another re-skin of Bad Company with archaic gameplay mechanics.

[Quote]

Wagan8r Said:

Exactly. Why wouldn't go for a retail copy?? No offense but how did you guys play games back then Steam wasn't around.

Don't cut off nose to spite face. This is a wonderful game.

Coodu Coodu said:

Well, I won't be paying Aussie prices for it, Import it for half price Retail I think. I'm not too miffed that it's not on steam, I have lots of games added as Non-Steam.

I remember being able to register an EA downloader account with my STEAM cd key for BC2 and being able to download in both locations. Ahh that was good stuff.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

That's a stupid analogy! If you want to use that scenario, a more appropriate one would be: You go to eat at a great restaurant that you have been going to for years and expect to order what you would like, but you cant order a specific dish/drink because the supplier for that restaurant has decided that they are not going to make their ingredients available so that they might drive up sales of their newly opened restaurant which makes that dish/drink.

Its just bad business imo. Another even better analogy would be: Entering Bestbuy to purchase a PS3, but Sony has decided that PS3 will be sold in every retail store including their own Sonystyle stores, but will be excluded specifically from Bestbuy, simply because Bestbuy wants to be guaranteed that they will also be able to sell PS3 accessories, or so Sony says (In this case, Steams DLC policy). We all know the real driving factor here.

Okay, we might be a little whinny, i'll give you that, but we have a right to be, we are the customer. We should be able to choose where/who we buy our merchandise from. As many have already said: Steam does it right. People who use Steam have all of their games in their Steam library, they have all of their friends on Steam. Its easy to get in touch with them, its easy to manage patches/updates because its all done for you. You don't have to go to FileFront, or whatever, to download the patch, and then install it, you wont run into any patch install issues, its all been worked out from Steam's end. If there is a problem, Steam, as well as its community is right there to help. You don't have to keep track of your CD keys, or games discs, its a very, very convenient service, and we've grown accustom to it. Did i mention they do it right? It works, it works GREAT. Why would we want to change?

Who care about steam i hate having all my games in one place so when steam is down for maintenance i cant play anything no way

I get most of my games Retail anyways as they are the same price and dont waste my precious download cap(yeah we canadians have very low CAP on our download)

customcarvin customcarvin said:

You Steam nerds suck hard ...

Wow. That was so constructive, and intelligent. Go post your troll bull$hit somewhere else.

I don't understand why people have anything against Steam, or furthermore, people who decide to use Steam. Steam is FREE. They offer awesome deals regularly. Their UI is elegant, and works smoothly and doesn't eat up many resources for modern system (usually about 30mb of ram, and very low cpu usage). They have saved us from so many other crappy DRM methods, like the number of times a game can be installed for example (Bioshock 2 anyone? .. there are a lot more). It can be run in offline mode, so u dont need a connection to play your RPG... There are more reasons in my previous post, and I'm sure others here who use it can think of a lot more reasons as well.

So, ya, i dont get it. What is your beef? Its not like they charge for the service and make all these crazy rules for the games it sells. You can install on any computer, as much as you want. I understand you can only be logged in to one computer at a time, but how is that different from other DRM managed games/services? Seriously, someone give me a concise and honest answer as to why they're so anti-Steam?

customcarvin customcarvin said:

Okay, if that's your reason... I've been using Steam for over 5 years, and have yet to run into a issue like that, so i cant quite correlate there.

As far as download cap, i can completely understand your point. BUT, that is not the fault of Steam.

You kids can scream and kick pretend you know what is a better business model for EA, for which none of you work, therefore know nothing about their internal strategy, but at the end of the day this game belongs to EA and they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

And you will buy the game anyway.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

customcarvin said:

Actually, you didn't get your analogy quite right either. The dish that you wish to have was never on the menu in the first place. You're still able to buy whichever dish that you want that the restaurant provides. You haven't been wronged.

And you're wrong. You don't have the "right" as a customer to buy everything that you want from a single specific provider. Yes, you DO have the right to choose your provider, but you don't have the right to choose what the provider provides. You can't have your Big Mac from Taco Bell.

Buy it where it's sold, and quit whining. It's called a free market.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

wagan8r said:

Buy it where it's sold, and quit whining. It's called a free market.

Ah yes, but you are in fact wrong. The dish was available, as in the case with Crysis 2, the dish was pulled from the menu. In the case of BF3... You can order the meal from the other resteraunt, but you still wont receive it for months :p

For your second comment, you're right others have stated that the game would not be as enjoyable, while that might not apply to everyone, i can see where whomever stated that is coming from. Here are a couple examples: Trophies. One can show/compare/brag to their friends over who has more. How about inviting friends who just logged in, but didn't know you were on, to a game that you have been playing? Will BF3 have a built in friends manager that informs you when they log in? Those are just two.

And finally YES we should have the right. A Big Mac is proprietary to McDonald's... I'm not asking for the FU#$@ING God of war series to be available on Steam, which is exclusive to Sony, and its not like you can ONLY purchase BF3/Crysis2 through Origin... Its available EVERYWHERE but Steam. k?

So if you dont want to use Steam, dont use it! Wow that was simple. But, for those of us who do, we shouldn't be excluded because of political greedy BS. Every other EA game has been available on Steam, the only reason these two aren't (I'm sure there are more to come) is because of greed. It's plain as day. If you don't agree with the people who are making comments about it, then just buy it elsewhere, play the game when it comes out, and please STFU! Let the rest of us, who want to play it on Steam at least use our right to use speech and petition!

Cueto_99 said:

@wagan

"Why do you (not you literally) then make an ultimatum that you will not enjoy the dish unless your favorite restaurant is the one that provides it? Why don't you get your dish where it's available?"

Sometimes your favorite dish does end up tasting like @&amp #%^ when the service isn't good... As much as you want to hide it, for many people the product is as important as the service.. And let's face it, Steam's service is very good! Personally I love their multiplayer platform, which is exactly what I also like about battlefield... The game looks awesome, but I won't multiplay on origin...

edison5do said:

IĀ'll buy Phisycal copy, since I dont use Steam that much, I own BC2 retail copy and IĀ'll keep the same way with this one. Steam, Origin, D2D all the same for me!

Lol sure you wont buy it if its on steam... i love steam but sometimes u have to bite the bullet and use origin. you can still enable the steam gui for ur game application u know..

"looks like crysis 2...or worse.. "

I guess your suggestion is to get MW3 instead ... lol ... talk about outdated graphics.

ramonsterns said:

"looks like crysis 2...or worse.. "

Or not get either since they're both rehashes of games you probably already own.