Steve Jobs resigns as Apple's CEO

By on August 24, 2011, 6:39 PM

Well, this has spiced up an otherwise slow news day: Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple. Effective immediately, former COO Tim Cook will oversee Cupertino's day-to-day operations as the new chief executive. Although Jobs will step down from the helm, he has asked to serve as the chairman of Apple's board.

The iconic figure has struggled with various medical conditions through his tenure in Cupertino, battling pancreatic cancer in 2004 and undergoing a liver transplant in April 2009. Jobs has been on medical leave since January 2011, a year plus after returning from the transplant, so his resignation isn't entirely unforeseen.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," Jobs said in a public letter. Considering Jobs' immense contributions and visionary-like status, many will question Apple's future. However, Jobs said he believes the company has its "brightest and most innovative days" ahead of it.

Tim Cook served as interim CEO while Jobs attended to his health, and as a 13-year veteran at the company, he should be well groomed for the role. In today's press release, Apple's board said it has "complete confidence" that Cook is the right person to lead the company. Cook also received Jobs' recommendation and you couldn't ask for a better endorsement than that. We've included Jobs' full letter below:

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

SkyFall said:

Apple won't be quite the same without him at the helm.

ikesmasher said:

Wow. i was NOT expecting that. It won't ever be the same. However, it is very comforting to know his is chairman of the board.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Hopefully Cook doesn't get blamed if things start to go wrong at first...

Staff
Steve Steve said:

NTAPRO said:

Hopefully Cook doesn't get blamed if things start to go wrong at first...

Yeah its probably a bad time to take over with iPhone market share on the decline.

Crazy. I wish Steve all the best.

HAHA... my random question was none other than, What company is responsible for creating the iPod?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

In other news, Jesus made an appearance in downtown Atlanta today...

All is lost! What's the point of living anymore???

Jobs was Apple. Apple was Jobs.

Since Steve Jobs will no longer be leading Apple, I think I will show my love for him by never buying another Apple product!

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'm not sure its all that surprising. Jobs hasn't held the reigns at most of the last Apple announcements and big events. He's been having Cook in the spotlight for a while. Him staying on as Chairman is still good news. When he vacates that position it may be more worrysome for Apple, but provided that doesn't happen in the next year or 2 I think Apple will be ok.

Never really like apple products, but I hope this has nothing to do with declining health.

I think it has everything to do with his health.

AmpFeare said:

steve wozniak should be given this position, not tim cook. considering steve wozniak actually made apple and steve jobs took over for steve wozniak, wozniak is back with apple as far as i know right now. give it to him not cook :/

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Steve said:

NTAPRO said:

Hopefully Cook doesn't get blamed if things start to go wrong at first...

Amazing, right here on TS, Steve agrees that Cook has his work cut out for him. Thank you for visiting, Mr. Jobs.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

ampfeare said:

Wozniak left the company in the late 80s and has said he has no interest in being a CEO type...

Win7Dev said:

I actually am not that surprised. He has had cancer, and if you know anyone that's been through that, it really is completely life changing. Technically you are never really "cured" you still have to go back at least every six months to make sure it doesn't come back. I don't really like apple that much, but I kind of feel bad for the guy.

supportme said:

Can't imagine Apple without Jobs... Sad that he has to leave... A Big Salute to the leader..

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

All I wanted for him to do was change his damn turtleneck, but he had to go and resign instead. Touche Mr. Jobs.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In my personal opinion, I don't think that showing your love for Steve Jobs by not buying any Apple products is the right way to go. Heck, if everyone felt as you, Apple would soon be declaring bankruptcy.

I'm sure Mr. Jobs wants his soon to be former company to survive and grow and gain "cutting edge" status. Don't stop buying Apple products just because Mr. Jobs has made a choice to step down, much like Mr. Bill Gates did at Microsoft. You don't see the world stopping it's purchases of Microsoft products just because Mr. Gates departed.

Things may appear to be a bit bumpy for Apple during this transition, it's almost always the case, same was true for Microsoft when Mr. Gates stepped down. But in the long run, like Microsoft did, Apple will bounce back, maybe better than ever, who knows!

WinXPert WinXPert said:

Wishing the best for him and for Apple too. My salute to the Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Go and enjoy life steve , buy a bike and go ride the country side , you have done more than enough for Apple time for some R&R ...

aj_the_kidd said:

Love him or hate, he made a difference, allot more then any of us will ever achieve. Given his health he lasted longer then i expected. Its crazy that he still wants to work, if i were in his position I'd live it up whilst I could, all the best

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So... when the iPhone 5 breaks due to, of course, we "holding it wrong," do we email tcook@apple.com now?

But seriously though, he will certainly be missed. I might not like Apple, but Steve has always been a visionary, and nothing will change that.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Who honestly thinks that someone in that position would stay there forever anyway? It's stressful and not to mention him already with his health issues, this is a good thing. Besides, I'm sure he'll still influence Apple in other ways we might not know. Good luck Mr. Jobs

mosu said:

I sincerely wish Steve Jobs the best of health he could ever enjoy for the rest of his life.Thank you for the emulation you created in the computer business.

Don't feel sad for the rich, they don't feel sad for you.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

He and Bill gates can now hang out and play pong on once again!

alexandrionel said:

Don't feel sad for the rich, they don't feel sad for you.

I think this is the best comment so far.

It can also be added that maybe in the future Apple will continue to ride the wave of success or maybe another company but we really shouldn't trouble our little heads with that. What we should do is just enjoy what we already have.

How much did Apple stocks went down? Who can give me a link?

Arris Arris said:

alexandrionel said:

1 less kidney, a new mac book and an ipod 2?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

1 less kidney, a new mac book and an ipod 2?

No Arris, you know that is a wrong calculation. If you want to have a new mac book and an ipad 2, you will need to sell a kidney and one of your legs. :p

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Although he has made Apple successful once again, I don't mind seeing him go as long as the Iphone 5 hurry's up and gets here!

well, this explains why the focus and quality of apple software has already plummeted and strange decisons have been made on the hardware front. are we heading back to the jobsless crApple of the 90s??!

Thanks for all the pleasure you gave us Steve.

wcbert said:

The Thomas Edison of our time, sorry to see him go. We need more people like him to create the companies of the future.

Even though I do not like the Apple mentality and I won't buy any of their products, I have to respect Steve Jobs. I wish him the best and thank him for bringing contrast to the PC.

foreverzero89 said:

...and the people rejoice!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I never thought this day would come so soon:

Neither Microsoft nor Apple have their founders and CEO.

Both were radically different, who created radical followers. Microsoft vs. Apple just isn't the same without Bill Gates vs. Steve Jobs.

The personal computing glory days are at an end.

Cota Cota said:

The rumor in the streets is that he will now open a whale meat market, and oh yeah he is targeting Greenpeace has their major buyer.

He may be smart, but his greed and manipulation has introduced a poor a mediocre idea of how products should be (xept the iPod, this one is good).

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I feel bad about Steve Job's declining health. I have had loved ones go through various forms of cancer its no fun.

As for Apple - I have never been that big of fan, but I'm interested to see to see how the company changes w/o Job's as the head man.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Best wishes to Jobs, it won't be the same without him.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

iPod, iPad....iResign.

I'm not a big fan of Apple.

What's the big deal. Apple has a good phone and a good pad and great marketing. There is no way that they can be compared to the likes of Intel, Nividia, and on and on; the real inventors that produced the parts for Apple.

Felix

Sanibel, FL

I'm never buying an Apple product again! Oh wait, I never have. Hmm, let me ponder about that for a second... Apple sucks. Good day.

Whoaman said:

Live long and prosper Steve!

Nothing personal against Steve himself, he was a person im sure, but im not sorry for apple

ONE MORE REASON LINUX WILL RULE!!!

lol i meant "good person"

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

he was a person im sure

lol i meant "good person"

Are you implying that resigning as CEO of Apple also means that he has now passed into some other state of existence?

superty12 superty12 said:

Apple nearly went bankrupt the last time Jobs stepped down. It might happen this time. What a beautiful day that would be.