Digital Storm intros sub-zero "Cryo-TEC" cooling system

By on August 25, 2011, 5:04 PM

Digital Storm has begun offering machines with a new liquid cooling solution that's capable of pushing your processor's operating temperature below the freezing point. The new Cryo-TEC cooling system is a revamped version of the company's Sub-Zero Liquid Chilled system and promises to deliver more power in a smaller package than its predecessor.

The Cryo-TEC unit utilizes the same thermo-electric tech as the Sub-Zero Liquid Chilled system, except the latest version incorporates new direct contact heat dissipation. As Digital Storm explains, by placing the thermo-electric cold plate against the CPU, the Cryo-TEC system is more efficient at its job: making your processor beg for a scarf.

To prove the Cryo-TEC's prowess, the company offers a screenshot of a hexa-core Intel Core i7-990X clocked at 4.6GHz with an operating temperature of around negative 14 degrees Celsius (6.8 degrees Fahrenheit). In another photo, the Cryo-TEC is displayed with a thick layer of frost on the cold plate after sitting at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Although you'll probably cringe at the thought of frozen H2O forming against your processor, Digital Storm notes that the CPU socket is fully insulated to protect it from condensation. The redesign also introduces a new control board that automatically adjusts the Cryo-TEC's cooling power and efficiency. There's also a picture of this in today's release.

The boutique system builder is offering at least four preconfigured machines -- or "levels" as they're called -- with the new cooler. Cryo-TEC Level 1 starts at $3,968 with a Core i7-2600K, 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM, a GeForce GTX 580, an Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard, a 1TB HDD and a Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX PSU. All the levels are below:

• Cryo-TEC Level 1 - $3,968 - Core i7-2600K - 8GB of RAM - GTX 580 x1 - 1TB HDD
  • Cryo-TEC Level 2 - $4,981 - Core i7-980 - 12GB of RAM - GTX 580 x2 - 1TB HDD
  • Cryo-TEC Level 3 - $5,858 - Core i7-990X - 12GB of RAM - GTX 580 x2 - 1TB HDD
  • Cryo-TEC Level 4 - $6,931 - Core i7-990X - 12GB of RAM - GTX 580 x3 - 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That's crazy - both the pricing and the temps. Would be interesting to see framerate and temp specs on one of the more demanding games at top settings over a couple of hours of hard-core gaming.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

I would like to know what the cost is for the cooler ????

Looked at web site could not find prices for the cooler only??

Cota Cota said:

"thick layer of frost"

But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity? and what about that frost getting a dense condensation point causing the superficial tension of H2O to give up due to gravity?

$3900 for the cheap one??? Is that pecos???

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Cota said:

"thick layer of frost"

That's what those little packets of silica that are included with everything are for. Just place a layer on the bottom of your case. For extra aesthetic points you can sculpt it like a Zen garden.

howzz1854 said:

i'd be interested in the cooler as well... wonder how much they cost.

howzz1854 said:

lets face it... people who are interested in that kind of cooling power are mostly enthusiasts who already build their own rigs.

SammyJames said:

$3900 for the cheap one??? Is that peos???

No. That is, my friend, criminal. And nuts.

SammyJames said:

howzz1854 said:

Let's face it -- people who are interested in that kind of cooling are WEALTHY. VERY wealthy. And are probably in-the-field paramilitary "enthusiasts" who want, enthusiastically, to be able to run their hexacore tracking systems in the desert -- like, say, in Iraq.

No, really!

SammyJames said:

howzz1854 said:

i'd be interested in the cooler as well... wonder how much they cost.

Don't get me wrong -- I would LOVE this cooler. It would be dead-silent, and would I'm sure let me run my music production applications without a hiccup. I just can't justify even saving up money for this.

There are some great coolers that are under $50. And if you have a clue about bearing types for fans and how to properly cable, then you can have an ultra-quiet system with a fanless GPU, fanless power supply,, ultra-quiet CPU heat-sink cooler, and lots of airflow to eliminate heat and noise.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

4000.00 bucks for just the cooler

no way...

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

My corsair H60 might be a bit cooler than that setup.

If you take my comment serious, please see a therapist.

It was so amazingly cool until I got to the actual price, it frozen me.

If anyone were to get this I would also suggest placing clay around the CPU, I assume that water will have a chance of getting on your motherboard.

I've experimented with using Peltier coolers, which is what I assume they use here. You can get them super cheap on ebay.

Using 2 Peltier cooler plates I was able to achieve negative temps as well... Albeit I had to use 2 huge heatsinks glued together and a server fan at full speed to keep the Peltier's cool enough to keep operating efficiently.

If you can waterproof around the cpu and afford water cooling I don't see why you'd want to spend money on this thing, when you can just buy Peltier's on Ebay for cheap ;)

This oil cooling one is better, and cheaper :)

_embedded

Even though the prices are outrageous at first glance, after a little customization on their site, you can get it to be a littler reasonable.

First off, I cut the processor to a 960 (Should be fast enough for any enthusiast, especially since you don't have to worry about overheating with overclocking), downgraded the Video Cards to crossfire 6950 (Not the best, two 6970's or GTX 570's bring reasonable prices too) and added a Blu ray burner.

Here's the configuration:

Case - Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Cryo-TEC Edition

Processor - Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Downgrade)

Motherboard - ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)

RAM - 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)

Power Supply - 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive 1 - 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)

Hard Drive 2 - 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)

Optical Drive 1 - Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112) (Upgrade)

Optical Drive 2 - DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Access - High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

GPU - 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB) (Downgrade)

Soundcard - Integrated Motherboard Audio

Cooling - Digital Storm Cryo-TEC CPU Only System

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

It comes down to $5,061, processor upgrade brings it to $5,354, $5,404, for the 970 and 980 respectively. GPU upgrade is $5,789 for two 6970's (960 processor) and about the same price for two 570's EVGA overclocked.

So yea, not a wonderfull price, but definitely justifiable, I'd rather just build a PC personally :P

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I'm curious though, what does a person do with this kind of system in which you need an overclocked 990X with that type of cooler? Who's that insane 1 or 2 people that will actually buy this? Whoooooooooooooo??????

wow what a holdup. no thank you, ill let my cpu burn out

aj_the_kidd said:

now if only i could justify to my boss

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

So, by electric, do they mean a TEC?

Is it using water for sure?

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It was so amazingly cool until I got to the actual price, it frozen me.

Those prices are definitely chilling.

Er...forget what I said about the $5000 mark, you can eliminate overclocking and that brings down another $250.

(Guest at August 25, 7:26PM)

Arris Arris said:

Just about four thousand for the cheapest model. The cooling and overclocking isn't worth about 2000+!!!! Madness (no it isn't Sparta before someone says it).

bexwhitt said:

I can understand the need for adequate cooling but this seems silly

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

bexwhitt said:

I can understand the need for adequate cooling but this seems silly

It's not Silly, you need this type of hardware to run Notepad.

If the cheapest one is 4 grand, it still only costs half that if for some reason you blew out your hex-core processor once a month for an entire year and you replaced it, brand new, each time.

This is nice and all, but it's a bit overkill, unless I find an old Delorean in a junkyard somewhere.

"the company offers a screenshot of a hexa-core Intel Core i7-990X clocked at 4.6GHz with an operating temperature of around negative 14 degrees Celsius"

/chunder

Jibberish18 said:

Relic said:

It was so amazingly cool until I got to the actual price, it frozen me.

Those prices are definitely chilling.

Hooooooo!

But seriously, I can't imagine who this would be useful for. I mean compare the price to performance. Is $1000's of dollars worth a few extra hp? Heh. I'd imagine this could be useful for someone who has a tower built for like medical imaging.......or something? I don't know.

MilwaukeeMike said:

This is laughably pointless. I don't know what's more rediculous, that someone built it, or that they think they can sell it.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

I wish I could just send my computer to them and let them put it in their case and hook up their cooling stuff. It is annoying that I can't just buy the cooling unit.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

stewi0001 said:

Agreed, just the cooling solution would sell much more.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

If I'm reading thier website correctly, these are the costs for just the cooling system but I assume it includes the cost of labor too.

- Chipset Liquid Cooling: $160

- Chipset + Single Video Card Liquid Cooling: $460

- Chipset + Dual Video Cards Liquid Cooling: $610

- Chipset + Triple Video Cards Liquid Cooling: $800

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

stewi0001 said:

- Chipset Liquid Cooling: $160

- Chipset + Single Video Card Liquid Cooling: $460

- Chipset + Dual Video Cards Liquid Cooling: $610

- Chipset + Triple Video Cards Liquid Cooling: $800

Do you have a link? I'm actually interested if "Chipset" is CPU

nestorius said:

Why not just buy a 5000 BTU window A/C from Lowe' s and port the cold air directly on the processor?? It wont get the chip to -15 but it would run very cool and the cost is only about $98. I'll bet it just all about bragging rights..... My computer has an Intel 950 4 core with 12 GB DDR3 and runs @ 115 degrees F without anything except the case fans and heat sink without any additional costs.

I have thought about over clocking it to 5GHZ adding another 12 GB memory and immersing the entire computer in liquid helium but then reason sets back in and the question of 'WHY?" reappears.....

Nchalada Nchalada said:

It's $4000 for the whole kit, not just the cooler

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

I just want the cooler....

~~~

I can install the darn thing myself..

~~

What is the cooling substance, hydrogen, some other substance, Liquid or something????

~~

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

ok i will google all the info somehow ...

Yes. it uses pielter TEC units directly connected to the CPU, and then the back side of them is cooled by the standard water cooling that DS uses.

the TEC units requite their own 500w power supply.

the load temps are around the 30-40C mark

The old system used the TEC unit to chill the water in the resovior, to a chilly -15C before pumping it to the CPU, but the new system only TEC cools the CPU, reducing the size of the cooling unit, and power supply