Weekend Open Forum: Do you buy DLC for your games?

By on September 2, 2011, 8:00 PM

Downloadable content has become a big part of the gaming industry. Some give it away for free to promote new game sales over the second hand market and piracy, and some use it as a way to further monetize their franchises.

Although that's all well and good when it brings fully realized new content that extends the life and gameplay hours of the original title, at times it feels like some developers deliberately leave stuff out of the game in order to sell it later. With new games already costing some $40-$60 it can get pretty expensive if you want the "full" experience.

Today we want to know what your take on DLC is: Do you think it's positive in the way that it allows developers to release AAA titles faster and add episodic content later? Do you regularly buy DLC, save it for specific major releases, or generally try to avoid it altogether? If you have purchased DLC lately, tell us about it, and if it was worth the money.

Bought the first DLC for Black Ops (first time buying DLC), it wasn't worth it at all. 4 maps, 2 of which were pretty damn crap. So $15 for 2 ok maps, that hardly anyone else purchased, and being in Australia meant one or two online servers for the new maps.

Fast forward 2 months, very little players purchased the maps, no servers host the maps in Australia (overseas servers the ping is too high), andif they did the servers would be empty. $15 for DLC, no thanks. Maybe if they decreased it to $5 and more people purchased it, it would work.

Haven't purchased DLC since, seems that then next 3 DLC for Black Ops failed in Australia (first was First strike, then Escalation, Annihalation then the 4th starts with R). So thats $15 *4 = $60 which I could use to buy a brand new game such as Modern Warfare 3, Stronghold 3, Dead Island and still have cash left over. All my friends avoid DLC too unless it is part of the GOTY version. DLC would be good if it was reasonably priced or actually gave you large amounts of content.

Bring us back to the good ol days where mod tools/mapping tools were released with the game and not promised then released one year later where no one gives a crap and everyone has moved on.

okrings said:

I usually buy all available DLC for my favorite games. Mass Effect 2 and Borderlands has epic DLC! One or two of the Mass Effect 2 DLC packages was badly made compared to the rest of the game, but I'm not gonna let that ruin it for me. Super Street Fighter IV has some cool DLC as well. And I'd give my left nut for some more Resident Evil 5 content on the PC. This "console exclusive" crap is really, really getting on my nerves.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have been buying DLCs, against my better judgement, for Civ V. Other than that, no, I usually wait for GOTY editions which have all the DLCs included.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well of course, it depends on the game. But if I've finished a game and enjoyed it I'll certainly pick up DLC content when available. For example I have all the Civ 5, Mass Effect and Fallout 3/NV DLC offerings.

mrtraver said:

I did pay for the Bad Company 2 SPECACT kit to get earlier access to some of the weapons, but only when it was marked down 30% to $3.50. I still feel guilty about it.

It's difficult to imagine paying extra for map packs, when i was raised on games that had their own map/level design tools and there was a lot of user-generated content. And I especially disdain DLC that is released immediately after launch - it obviously was ready to go, and probably was pulled from the code just to try to grab a few extra bucks.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well... you kind of <i>did</i> buy COD: Black Ops...

yRaz yRaz said:

I try to avoid buying games that will/do have paid DLC altogether. Needless to say I don't buy many games anymore. Only I time I will buy a game that has DLC is if I can get the GOTY edition on steam during one of their epic sales.

ramonsterns said:

I don't like paying for things that were taken out of the game to nickle and dime me.

See: Mass Effect 2, perfect example as they gave you incomplete armor sets when you purchase the game, then suddenly put 3-5 pieces up as a bundle and lo-and-behold, some of the pieces' styles match perfectly with the missing pieces from the sets.

See: Call of Duty Map Packs, 1/4 of the game price for 1/10 taken from older games and only a few new maps, which end up being mediocre because we all know they don't even try anymore? Why not. Perfect way to sucker people into ending up paying $100~ for a single game that gets a sequel every year.

See: Dragon Age, let's recycle locations and armor and tell our voice actors to say a few lines for 1 hour worth of gameplay! Hey, this works! Let's do the same thing with Dragon Age 2!

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

As much as I dislike DLC myself for the reason that if its exploited its against the consumers. However, if we think about it, developers have been working extra hard this previous generation with teams growing in the hundreds to make one single game. I think DLC helps keep them funded. (Although there's cases like Call of Duty in which they probably have enough money to run a country.)

For example, Naughty Dog, one of my favorite developers, I will gladly fork over $5-10 for DLC to help support them. They keep pumping out great games and they deserve it.

But if it's in cases in which like some have mentioned where parts of the game that was completed and taken out and made into DLC, it's a scam.

So when it's DLC done right, it's right. When it's done wrong, it's wrong. No other way to put it.

coming out of the pirate world .. i didn't even know what DLC was until i was introduced to steam!

before that i always knew of "expansions" ... but DLC was not in my vocabulary.

Cota Cota said:

Just like any game that strikes the market, i download to play it and then buy it :\

Also... what about those "special" DLC's that some games use like those Dragon Age DLC's that you get from buying other corp related stuff/pre-order/Deluxe editions?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Generally I try not to. I'm still waiting for Ubisoft and EA to make DLC game ending's and you don't get an ending if you don't pay for it...Pure Greed..exactly what I expect from them at this point.

Not a fooking chance, pay for an incomplete game only to pay 10 to 20% again to get maybe an extra hour of game play (expansions are different they are like another 1/3 of the game).

I just wait for the complete edition to be released.

Timonius Timonius said:

I prefer to wait until all DLCs are made then buy the whole game at once with all the bells and whistles and fixes.

CryVer CryVer said:

I've never bought a DLC before, and I plan on buying as few as possibly can. It's also the reason I try to stick to games like Team Fortress 2 and Starcraft 2.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The question is, Do you Pirate your DLC's? :P

To me, it's not about them milking my wallet. I want more content and I'm willing to pay for that! Hell, I'd kill for more content for some of my games. It's not about the money, it's about the content!

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Bought borderlands dlc on steam sale. Same with mw2. Didn't buy black ops anyway. Played free weekend and it sucked. Would have liked the spec ops dlc for mw2 if they had ever made it - that's the coop levels btw.

Goty editions otherwise. Bought mass effect 1/2 dlc on Xbox. I hate zero day dlc and the cod map packs are so overpriced to be insulting to anyone brought up with doom and quake and community content. Convinced myself it might be worth it at half price. Got another 3 or 4 hours put of mw2 with both packs for £10. Glad I didn't pay £20.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oh yeah I got the spectat dlc for bc2. Nice having the weapons early and nice have an extra loadout per class. Got it on sale of course.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Most of the games I play have DLCs as part of the game patches so it's basically free content. Other DLCs add only multiplayer content which does not really interest me much. I guess if the developers come up with a really nice single player DLC, I'd be willing to pay for it. Price isn't the issue, it's the quality of the content that is important.

The worst part about being a gamer today is getting to pay to be a bata tester for most games, buy the game thats usually never finished, and when they fix the problem they add the rest of the maps and charge you more. Bulletstorm was a good example, you never really have any sort of boss fight and only 1 of the crappest online modes available with only a few maps. I was so pissed they wanted me to pay for dlc that should have been free I just uninstalled the damn thing.

Piracy will only get worse as game companies rip us off more and more,

pmkrefeld said:

never done, will never change fu @publishers

Well at first when games started coming out on PSN and Steam with DLC I guess I bought bits. And if a game I already own is great and has DLC out that I think is a must...

But quite frankly as games are not worth their release date prices by any means, I find myself waiting for lower prices and sales. And usually by this time someone somewhere will of released an upcoming GOTY version with all DLC... so why would I pay for seperate DLC when I can wait it out and get not just the game at (for example playstation and xbox) a platinum or classic price, but I can get the game and the entire DLC for that... bargain. And you find that games, aren't as great as the hype 9 times out of 10.

Being a tight **** is win win imho :)

jetkami said:

Timonius said:

This is exactly what I do!

dgoodchild dgoodchild said:

I make the decision to buy DLC on a case-by-case basis. The DLC for Red Dead Redemption was very worthwhile and I'm happy to pay for content of that quality but I wouldn't pay for the über sword of the week or other such silliness.

On the topic of developers holding back content in order to sell it separately later, I think that's inappropriate. Any content ready at the time the game is released should be included. On the other hand, if the developer continues to create content after the game is released then selling it separately is totally acceptable.

On a related note, I'm looking forward to the free DLC release for Portal 2 this month. I think it was great of them to offer the extras for free and was a contributing factor to my decision to buy the game two weeks ago.

Gamers have been suckers to fall for the DLC scheme, oh well, at least they're piratable :D

Breech said:

Last one I bought was a week ago or so. Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2. I thought it was excellent although I wasn't happy about having to pay $10 to get it. As many others here, I usually wait for GOTY editions and get it all at once at a significant cost savings. There hasn't been many titles that, if any, that I feel I have to have immediately. When we stop getting shoddy ports maybe I'll consider sending the devs a few more of my hard earned dollars. Not holding my breath though.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If the DLC is akin to expansions like say, Red Alert (with Counterstrike and aftermath) or Diablo 2 (with LoD), I'd be happy to pay for them. They add significant changes or additions to gameplay and an expanded storyline. Of course if it ends up being only small changes overall one might feel cheated, but at least it might extend the replayability for some.

If the DLC is like the CoD example... I'd rather not, unless there is some nostalgia thing going on. Maps, reskins and even new weapons are easy to make for those who have any idea how to, and considering the prices some charge it is nearly highway robbery. For instance, Supreme Commander 2 Infinite War adds new units, new maps, and adjusts some research paths, but what actually got me to buy it was the nostalgia of one unit being brought back: The Monkeylord. Sure, now I've gotten to enjoy the other units that were added, but they were insubstantial when I bought the DLC, and some additions (especially the maps) are still insubstantial.

I guess the point being made in this instance is, [the developers] freely made balance adjustments and even added units in the original Supreme Commander and did so at no additional cost to the player, and it's becoming common place for devs to charge for these changes now. =(

So to answer the WoF: Sometimes. Depends on the DLC and if there's any nostalgia involved. I have no problem not owning a DLC for a game if I don't ultimately get something worthwhile out of it.

Rasta211 said:

I think they should advertise the games differently now. Like, "Buy part of the game" today! for 59.99

Yes I bought download content for Civilization V because I really enjoy the game. But I also waited until Civilization was dropped in price with the Steam deals. These "new" games coming out should be starting out at 19.99 because after all the download content it's going to be 59.99

Not even once. And if I do it... I'll do it only for Battlefield 3 and IF is something even more spectacular. Hardly still.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I can only remember buying a single DLC package in the entire time I have been a gamer. And that was one of the expansions for Borderlands, and only because a friend begged me to get it and go co-op with him. Any other content I've gotten has been a result of pre-ordering the game and getting stuff just for ordering it early.

I just never normally pursue downloadable content because I normally don't think it's worth it. Why didn't you include this in the game and let me pay the regular price? Was it an after-thought? Was it a plan of extorting more money for the content that it should have had to begin with? Why is the extra content so short and unsatisfying? Screw that and screw you. Just take the time to make the game like you were supposed to instead of debuting the game early, and don't stiff me on content just because you wanted more money.

MrAnderson said:

I hardly ever buy DLC... DLC is just expansions that we have to download. And they can be a hit or miss. So I wait for game of the year additions if I did not get teh game initially.

yRaz yRaz said:

rasta211 said:

It's called Pre-Purchasing

NEVER!!!

i pay for a game ~60 euro !!!nothing else!!

buying DLC is cheating!!!

mrtraver said:

Spoken like a true publisher shill! From a true consumer perspective, it IS about the money as well as the content.

Ithryl said:

Depends on the company's DLC policy. When the company does what 2K did to Mafia II for example, then I don't even bother - not releasing the game with the features that have been promised beforehand and instead releasing them separately as a DLC later. Same goes for Bioware and their DLC's (for DAII) that you can buy right when the game is released. They oughta fist that up their a*s.

I did buy several DLC's when I found them good enough based on reviews and mainly when they added something to the story line or expanded it in some manner. Wouldn't buy a DLC that just gives a new set of armor or what not.

And as stated above, kudos to Valve for releasing DLC for Portal II for free. I'm pretty sure it helps them much more (in a long run esp.) than selling the DLC.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well personally I have never actualy purchased DLC before as I either buy the "elite" version of the gam that comes with all the "goodies". Or I simply purchase Valve games which Valve update with free DLC for FREE! You hear that very other developer! FREE!

Even Angry Birds is being updated for FREE with new levels!

What i'm saying is, I would purchase DLC if I felt it was worth, I'm yet to find a single game that justifies the price tag for the DLC.

Although Expansion Packs are a different thing altogether, i bought plenty of those in my lifetime!

I hardly buy DLC content for my games, as most of the time the price for the DLC is ridiculous: too expensive for a couple of little things which should be free in the first place. And it piss*s me off when you buy the game and the DLC is already on the disc, and all that you are buying is a code to unlock the content (BioShock 2, for example). The games are already expensive, if you buy all the DLC for a given game you might end up wasting more 20? or so.

However, I have bought some DLC in the past, which was really worth my money. Episodes From Liberty City for GTA IV, for instance, are well worth the money (I bought the retail edition for 20?). I also bought some cars for DiRT 3, even though the prices were a bit higher, but well, the passion for some of the cars was stronger hehe. I also bought the Track Packs (2 of them). In the end I spent about 15? for everything, plus the 35? the game itself costed. A bit expensive, but it was worth. I also bought Joe's Adventures for MAFIA II because I really like the DLC, even though it doesn't add much, just new missions (7? on STEAM). Jimmy's Vendetta DLC I won't buy, unless they do a promotion and sell if for 3? or 4?.

Other than that, I don't buy DLC, as most companies just sell you little things for a high price, and that's just a way of making easy money with little effort.

DLC is a scam. Studios constantly hold back content to later release on the market. Gougers.

zillion said:

I bought all the dlc for black ops, partially because my clan reguires it and also because i do like this game, it suits my current needs so perfectly atm.

And despite so many deny that they have bought these dlc i do belive there are lots of others in this very community that has too, and i think the sales numbers would make u think aswell tbh.

If the price/value ratio is bad or good i think is for every man to decide for himself.

And yes i have bought other dlc which i have found not so good, but the answer to the question is yes i do and i think the current dlc model is what i would define as the limit of how much u can greed out of the gaming community.

....and a merry christmas to u all :P

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Usually wait for whole game to be released together in goy pack. I did buy fallout new Vegas and DLCs on sale on steam ( 70% ) off. Got some decent content for $3 each.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

DLC's aren't too bad for most games as some of them are a bit cheap. I don't want to wast my money on a DLC I'll probably use just a few times and be done with it. That seems a bit counterproductive to me.

ramonsterns said:

zillion said:

....and a merry christmas to u all :P

What's it like paying $100 for one videogame every year?

StrayEagle said:

I avoid DLC like the plauge that it is....

I understand that it 'can' add more into a game if its gone stagnate, but most of the time the reason that DLC is introduced is to make more cash for the developers....If you make a good game and people like it, you shouldn't have to pump out more DLC. Incude it in the game when it ships, or make it free when you release it afterward.

Kraemepoo said:

Rarely, I never buy DLCs for a few new weapons, or another civ in Civ 5. If Civ 5 needed another race, then they should have shipped with it, or released a free patch. I'm not paying for something a developer team could make in day. But when DLC packs like Borderlands comes along, I don't think twice. Borderlands was a complete and well made game... The DLCs are so complete and fresh, they're more like Borderlands 2 than just a DLC, and that I'll pay for.

With the exception of GTA IV: Episodes from liberty city. (Bought retail) I've never bought a DLC. But they were more like expansions, not DLC.

If the studios wants us to purchase DLC's for the price they are asking, they need to ensure we also get some value. It feels mostly like a ripoff scheme. I remember I was appalled when a friend showed me what he got for his money when he bought Joe's adventure for Mafia 2. And needless to say, he wasn't too happy either.

But overall I'd have to say it feels like the studios have decided that the modding community showed them people wanted more, and then they took over the modding community from the modders. I mean how often are modding tools even included with games these days. I can't remember when I last saw a level editor shipping with a game. With the exception of Starcraft II.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

In a word: No.

zillion said:

ramonsterns said:

zillion said:

....and a merry christmas to u all :P

What's it like paying $100 for one videogame every year?

....doesnt feel bad at all, considering i only play that game atm, so spending 100$ a year on games that, as i said, fits my current needs perfectly right now is a good deal for me. How much do u spend a year on games?

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

I bought all the DLC for Dragon Age Origins and the sequel as well as both Mass Effect games. So yes, I buy DLC.

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

The only DLC I have is for Rock Band...

This is how I see it. Thanks to GameStop I paid $2.99 for Rock Band, $9.99 for Rock Band 2, and $15.99 for Rock Band 3. I imported the RB and RB2 setlists to RB3 allowing me to have 250 playable songs without changing discs. I have purchased 250 songs spending about $450. At 500 playable songs, I paid about $1.04 per song. Totally worth it.