Intel rolls out 16 new desktop and mobile processors

By on September 5, 2011, 5:27 PM

Intel expanded its processor lineup over the weekend to include no less than 16 new models, including five for notebooks and eleven aimed at desktop PCs. These are all 32nm parts and span different brands from the Celeron and Pentium on the low end to the latest Core i3, i5 and i7 chips.

The Core i5-2320 leads the pack on the desktop front with a clock speed of 3.0GHz and a $177 price tag. There are three new Core i3 processors offering clock speeds from 2.6GHz to 3.4GHz and prices between $127 and $138, while Pentium and Celeron chips round out the list with three and four models each priced between $47 and $70.

Meanwhile, on the mobile front, there's the dual-core Celeron B840 clocked at 1.9GHz for $86 and four Core i7 mobile processors that top out with the 2960XM featuring an unlocked multiplier and an exorbitant $1,096 price tag.

Check out the chart below for the full rundown on all the new models:

In addition, the company also revised the prices of all mid- and low-power "S" and "T" processors for desktops. The Core i7-2600S was dropped by $12, from $306 to $294, while the Core i5- 2390T and i5-2400S models were cut by $11 to $184 each. The Core i5-2500S and Core i5-2500T also received a $11 reduction from $216 to $205, and finally, the Core i5-2405S saw the smallest drop from $205 to $201. These prices are all in 1K quantities and only the Core i5-2400S and i5-2405S are sold as boxed CPUs, the rest are available to OEMs for pre-built computers.

Good thing i waited! :)

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I want to hear some news about socket LGA 2011 CPU's

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So the new i5 isnt unlocked? Core i5 prices arent going down one bit. I think they are holding back Ivy Bridge just to make loads of money playing the market. Many are thinking that.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I just threw away my old computer junk, and I had to bid goodbye to my first Pentium. ='(

@First comment - Glad I bought the 2500k on release before they went up. Running nicely at 4.7Ghz, have fun overclocking these new ones :p

SammyJames said:

I'm still strongly considering buying a 2.9 GHz Llano. The Fusion A8 is still faster than the old Q8200 that I currently use for my music production station, and paired with the nVidia 8400 GS (fanless!) that I also just bought, I think that the whole system will perform pretty well.

AMD is still kicking butt when it comes to price/performance. True, Intel still is tops, but I believe that this is changing. Plus, if ARM processors ever come out for desktop PCs, I believe that both Intel and AMD will have some problems.

Folks like myself, who are looking for low-latency, high-performance, and low-power alternatives could do a lot worse than by going with a small instruction set chip.

SKYSTAR SKYSTAR said:

glad too see that , excellent step from intel

SKYSTAR SKYSTAR said: