Max Payne 3 scheduled for March 2012, trailer due next week

By on September 9, 2011, 11:00 AM

Rockstar Games has announced that the third installment in the Max Payne third-person shooter series will launch in March 2012 for PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. The new title was originally scheduled for a late 2009 debut but was met with multiple delays.

Unlike the first two chapters that were set in The Big Apple, Max Payne 3 takes place in South America. The former New York City detective heads to Sao Paulo, Brazil to protect a wealthy family as part of his new job at a private security firm. Despite the relocation, Max is apparently still haunted by the memories of his traumatic past.

"Max Payne 3 gave us an amazing creative opportunity to evolve one of our most iconic characters," said Rockstar founder Sam Houser via press release. "We're excited to show fans a modern version of Max that pulls them back into his dark and twisted story."

The Rockstar press release says the game incorporates the latest advances in Natural Motion physics as well as a brand new iteration of the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine, resulting in highly-refined gameplay, a new intelligent cover system and sophisticated Bullet-Time mechanics.

Max Payne 3 will also feature another first for the franchise: a multiplayer aspect. The mode is said to dynamically alter maps and mode progression and include a leveling system, clans and gear loadout options.

The award-winning franchise debuted in July 2001 for Windows and was ported to consoles later that year. According to Take-Two Interactive, the game had sold more than seven million copies as of 2008. Team Xbox reports that a trailer for the third installment is due on September 14.

thewind said:

I loved the first two games and hopefully the third will be as good. But I'm not sure, I'm kinda skeptical about it... only time will tell.

i m a big an of Max Payne...and after so many delays.. release in March 2012... is tooooo long... i m desperately awaiting the release..........

SKYSTAR SKYSTAR said:

i love max payne series i cant wait to play the third edition

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Loved the first two Max Paynes. Hopefully this one will keep up the tradition.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Same as the others... first two were great, can't wait for this one. I hope to see the same level of attention to detail with regards to visuals and mechanics as there were in the first two.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The original was one of the best games for story ever made, in my opinion. I read somewhere that Max 3 won't have the guy who did Max's voice in the original and the second...which is a shame.

blimp01 said:

the story of the first 2 got me so pumped up for the third ... but then they took 10 years

SammyJames said:

Why couldn't Rockstar have bought the rights to Hitman, ensure that David Bateson would be re-hired, and make THAT franchise worthy of some real attention.

As it stands, I'm more interested in Max Payne now than I ever was in SA and all of that. I still love SA and Contracts -- but the rest of the series have gone down-hill -- Blood Money was okay -- but I wanted for Bateson to reprise his role.

Ah well. You can't win them all, I guess. For me, this means that I won't win anything anymore. I stopped playing video games this year, after getting through Liberty City Stories in about 72 hours total, and learnng that Eidos had sent Bateson packing.

Have fun, and let us all know if it's worth it to continue playing these types of games -- especially with the release of MP3.

- S

And to clarify my last comment -- Bateson WAS in Blood Money. His acting was stellar as always. It was the story that I hated. And the new one -- Absolution? Don't even get me started.

Bunch of hack noob dilletan

- S

I hope they manage to bring back the original voice at least. I heard there was going to be a new guy doing his voice.