Battlefield 3 beta hacked, Dice threatens EA account ban

By on October 3, 2011, 10:48 AM

The open beta for Battlefield 3 has already been hacked to allow users to host their own servers and unlock alternate game modes and features. But take caution, as Dice has warned that users found playing on hacked servers could face harsh consequences.

A team of hackers has allegedly gotten their hands on the files needed to host your own Battlefield 3 beta server. Those hosting their own server can remove the player cap on one of the beta maps called Operation Metro. The user limit is set at 32 (16 per team) by default but hacked servers can push this limit up to 128 simultaneous players.

A Dice rep has apparently chimed in on the situation, stating that they are aware that a number of unauthorized servers are online. The rep recommends avoiding the temptation to play on these servers while the issue is being dealt with. Furthermore, anyone playing on these servers risks having their account banned by EA, says PC World.

Such a ban would not only mean you couldn’t play Battlefield, but also any other EA title. As of writing it appears the original form post has gone missing, although several other news outlets are reporting on the story.

Battlefield 3 will be released in its entirety on October 25 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. It’s probably best to play it safe and stick to official EA servers for now. Official servers are configured to run 32 players on the Operation Metro map under the Rush game type.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Surely if they ban your account, you can always make a new one...?

katoDRAGON said:

lawfer said:

Surely if they ban your account, you can always make a new one...?

you would probably have to buy all of your "microsoft" games again, but who cares

Not if you get IP banned, then no you cannot make a another account.

Holyscrap said:

if your account gets banned you lose all games linked to that account, in that case you can create a new account but you will have to buy the games all over again.

Good..

I wish they would ban hackers too... I have a HD filled with wall hackers, chamers and aimbotters from just this weekend. Funny thing is, I send them directly to the ole 2142 link for complaints, & have already got 38 people banned from BC2.

I will soon ban a whole slew of newbtards from BF3 beta. But I am evil and will wait til the game is out, so these banned Origin accounts already paid for pre-release. Then they will have to beg mommy for another CC account & some fresh money.

yey . for 1 account per game! :D

lipe123 said:

Good my ass...

All EA has to do is allow us to play the Caspian border map instead of that BS metro map and none of this will be happening.

There is so much wrong with metro its not really fun to play at all.

Now why in the world would anyone who respects the developer go and hack their servers?

One day, PC gamers will realize that all of these developers could easily stop developing PC games and continue to make $ off consoles. However, without these developers, PC gaming would disappear into indie titles only. It boggles my mind that someone had to resort to this behaviour and couldn't wait less than a month for the full game.

RH00D RH00D said:

Good..

You seem to not understand this situation correctly. EA is threatening to ban people who simply PLAY on a hacked server. A hacked server could mean nothing more than an unofficial server with a player count more than 32. Heck, some of the hacked servers I saw HAD 32 players (I know this because the gametype was Conquest, which no official server has) and some hacked servers had less than 32 players.

So a person could very well end up on a hacked server without ever intending to. Because all servers get lumped into one long list of every server unless you apply filters (or if you use quick match you could automatically get dropped into a hacked server) I don't think you really meant what you said because I don't think you'd want to advocate the banning of players who innocently were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

All bans can be spoofed.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

EA has been very prideful as of late.

Origin was just the beginning.

Newsflash: What happens in IT when you try to own/takeover too much?

Just ask Nvidia, Sony or Microsoft.

Such hatred for hackers. Let them beat the system. If EA can't protect their product then its their fault.

Eat a **** EA!!

This is good news. Thank you DICE and EA.

Cota Cota said:

If the hacked servers are all like the one on this video there's no reason to worry, its just greedy ducks being greedy >.>

mistermindless said:

create a new account and use that in the firstplace.incase if you get banned you wont miss anything much...:)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Good..

I hate people like you, I once got a ban from my steam account once, apparently I was using an unknown hack in team fortress 2? I have never EVER used a hack, hell I don't even know how or where the hell to get them from, you can even ask google to find my static IP I have from home and even check, I have never googled it before!

Just because I'm good at headshots or simply beating said person who feels i'm a hacker doesn't mean i'm hacking! Once I emailed Steam support and explained my account is now back in good standing.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Operation Metro is really getting on my nerves. I had the chance to play Caspian Border and fly a jet, and when I tell you that the map makes a huge difference, believe me because it does. It's like its another game. It could also be because I've been playing Metro since the alpha, and now I'm sick of it.

So I tried to join the Conquest Operation Metro with 64 players, if any, to see if that made a difference, but guess I had not luck. I take it EA has done something about this? Just now I tried to join one, but they all seem regular servers.

Butch said:

I don't care about EA but it's this kind of stuff that is going to kill PC gaming then we will all be stuck playing the kiddie consoles or in my case, not playing at all.

Inarius03 said:

128 players at once? @_@

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Sweet. Another reason to want an Origin account?

lol ea is the worst company in the video game business. if developers had self respect they would support a better company that doesnt try to monopolize everything.

also, banning? lol cool. give me a static ip and i'll have an easier time setting up a private server. thanks !

also, just wait till we hack the game to not even require logging into steam or ea or whatever.

steam is the worst though, i tried to make an account for diablo 3 beta, they took way too much information about me then said i have to own another game to qualify for the beta testing. and theres no way to remove / delete an account except contacting customer service, who said no.

And this is why I don't like EA. They never stop pushing the envelope.

They could have easily avoided ALL of this if they would have used a registered server authentication system & implemented an origin based firewall that blocks private servers from being accessed. This is a two-tier approach to the problem - crackers (they are not hackers) wouldn't be able to host private servers and users who try to connect to them, wouldn't be able to establish the connection.

Such a system would have been easy to integrate with the Steam API, which would have allowed them access to a marketplace with over 30 million users and make use of the simple, effective and ever so comprehensive steam server browser.

This embarrassing folly is just another demonstration for how ignorant, arrogant and ill prepared EA is when facing quality control problems. Which I find hilarious, because the only time they have expressed serious interest in controlling the quality of anything is when someone is tampering with their product.

I've seen them look the other way on a whole host of problems from cheating, bad code, bad patches, broken patches, implementing features destructive to balanced game play and the list goes on and on.

They have a lot to prove before they earn a $50+ sale from me ever again.

They aren't going to ban your account for playing on them. First this is beta, this is why it exists, to find these loopholes. Second they might not know it is a hacked server. It is EA's job to figure this out and fix it. This isn't people collecting points with an exploit knowing it.

These are people logging into a server to play the game legit. The people running the servers could be banned but to say the players can too is insane.

TL;DR - EA should be thanking them for finding this before release.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

EA deserves what they get. In the good old days, game companies used to give players the ability to make and run their own servers as they see fit. They can cram every copy of BF 1,2,and 3 along with Origin up their collective butts sideways without lube.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This is one of the reasons why I don't care for these types of games and MMORPG's. Script kiddies get involved, start hacking the crap out of the game, giving themselves all sorts of free loot as well as kill hacks and invincibility.

To me it's just a matter of what's the point of playing when there truly isn't a level playing field because of the script kiddies?

I got an idea, instead of bitching about how there is a limited number of levels in the beta how about you wait for the offical release and play something else. God damn all I read here is people bitching cause they don't have everything availble to them in a beta, you should be happy that they decided to make it an open beta and not close so IMO STFU.

Yeah, I also can't understand those cheaters who ruins the game.what an idea is to play with aimbot or something like that. To me that tells alot of a player=childish,immature,bad loser with no selfesteam..the beta has also met these guys already.hope that this kind of playing doesn't continue when the game launches. I personally like ea's policy to ban hackers and cheaters,but hope also that this doesn't become a witchhunt and honest players got to pay.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Diablo 3 on Steam, what are you smokin' ? Steam is 1000x better then Origin, period.

" just wait till we hack the game to not even require logging into steam or ea or whatever. "

I think you are late for that, its called cracks.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

TomSEA said:

WoW is free of hackers, there are bugs and people exploit them but nothing major. Warden is one of the best anti cheat software out there, shame bots cant be caught tho .... well they can but they get away with it alot of times.

THese problems are in all multiplayer games ... or at least 90% of them ....

taimuraly taimuraly said:

I played on this hacked server and it was fun lol. God mode on and unlimited ammo, haha it was good fun running around. Rockets were flying every way it was a blast. It was like a benchmark test to see if your PC could handle the load. Only place you could see what would happen if 20 (think it might have been more ) grenade blew up at the same time. But did get boring after an hour XD.

Or maybe game companies will stop selling game for $60 and more people will buy games.

Lets say they sold new games for 30 bucks, think they would sell double the copies ? Probably so they would make the same amount of money but im guessing at 30 bucks they would sell about 5X more then at 60bucks, so really they are loosing money because they are greedy bastards. So who cares for them not me thats for damn sure.

YanFr said:

lipe123 said:

Good my ass...

There is so much wrong with metro its not really fun to play at all.

Jesus man.. how wrong can your comment be????? its a freaking beta its for testing.. the code is 1 month old and not the game itself.. its not the demo!! some people just don't understand people like you..

Or, if EA would get a life, stop making money hand over fist making players pay for updates, new maps etc, then PC gamers would respect them more, hence I won't buy it, but get Battlefield3 instead.

Time to grow up and get some morals EA, but I doubt it!

killeriii said:

"But take caution, as Dice has warned that users found playing on hacked servers could face harsh consequences."

Another bold move by EA.

Are they hiring PR's from M$?

I think that hacking things is fine for entertainment, but I don't think that you should adjust the public facing elements of something like this pre release. I think that EA is right ti discourage any use of hacked servers until it all gets sorted out, but when the ban hammer starts swinging, it will undoubtedly take out someone that didn't *really* deserve it.

My question is, why not put a little more effort into crippling the beta so that these features can't be accessed?

The article doesn't get into the details, but they say people "found the files" - if indeed they only needed to locate and modify server files, then EA needs to eat a little of the blame. It would be silly to think people aren't going to tinker with your files at this point in the game.

EA messed up. This is not the fault of the users playing on unauthorized servers, but rather EA and these "hackers" for the leak in the first place.

Seems like a stupid business decision to target users that just want to play the game.

All I can really say is "$&@# you EA". You've become an awful, greedy ***** with no sense.

@burty117: Haha cheater. Don't lie. With Steam (and VAC) if your hack is undetected you can rage in secure servers speedhacking and headshotting everyone, you won't be banned ever. Valve doesn't ban by stats or hearsay. Valve doesn't make mistakes because they rely on VAC actually detecting SPECIFIC programs (known hacks) and specific changes in the game's memory. If your account was banned, it was cheated on, either by you or someone else. Don't lie.

yorro said:

So sick of Metro

It is indicative of our filthy society as a whole. People think they can steal and assume it is ok if they get away with it.

These crooks will answer for their crimes one day. It is just a pity that they are destroying a good platform on their road to hell.

Either way. How do they have the legality to do this? When are you gamers going to stand up for your rights and declare that you're not going to allow a company like Dice tell you where you can and cannot play? Where's are sense of freedom anymore. They can't legally ban you for actions that don't pertain to them. Is playing on a hacked server illegal? I'm not a gamer so I'm not aware of the laws governing this space, but if that IS in fact illegal, then my only question is how did you let these basstards do that to you?

I of course meant to say, "Where's our sense of freedom" no where's are sense...

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

LOL

-"Not if you get IP banned, then no you cannot make a another account."-

That's idiotic. First of all, this is a "BETA" so how would people know whether this was illegal to "play" on a private hosted server? There was no hacking other than just raising the "Player Count" Limit to 64 or even 128 per game. No damage was done.

Everyone was hoping to somehow get into the "Caspian Border" map server, so when the 64/128 player count server appeared for "Operation metro", of course people will join it thinking its allowed. That's common sense, unless you spend all your time reading announcements(when you can actually be enjoying the Beta instead).

To those saying ban them, really don't understand what is to be banned or when not to be banned. You have to understand that Dice is "Stress Testing" servers, so why would this incident be bannable? More so, this would be an opportunity for DICE to actually test its security on the servers instead of threatening to ban players for DICE's ignorant thinking(or EA's).

As for the IP ban, would be unfair for those with IP addresses with more than 1 computer on the same connection. More so, how about a Mac address Ban instead.

I'm more interested what are their solution for catching the real losers=cheaters=hackers and deal with them.

Banning people for playing on a private server on the beta is idiotic as hell.

Most of the people on those servers probably don't even know they are doing anything against the rules. It's not like it's a modded map. They just raised the level cap.

Why would they ban people for exploiting glitches in a beta? That is the ****ing point of a beta!!! to find those exploits before the game comes out.

I fell in a hole on metro earlier and was able to kill people from below the ground. Does that count as wall hacks and I should be banned for your glitchy map? (btw having a map you can fall into holes and be trapped is bad, even for a beta that is really ****ing bad.)

Just fix the problems with your game and not blame them on "hackers". That is the point of the beta.