Weekend Open Forum: Tech gear you travel with

By on October 7, 2011, 7:00 PM

As a technology connoisseur, product reviewer, news editor and owner of my own tech site, I suspect I travel with more gear the average person would. For a quick weekend getaway, I typically only bring my phone and camera but business trips require the full loadout.

Above is a shot of what I will be taking with me on my trip to Las Vegas to cover the Consumer Electronics Show in January. In no particular order, this includes my iPad 2 (my first time traveling with an iPad), Logitech G700 wireless mouse, Logitech G930 wireless headphones, iPhone 4, Averatec notebook, 4GB MSI flash drive and my Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 20mm f/1.7 lens. I’ll tote everything around in my 2008 CES backpack that was provided by the show.

Now that you’ve seen my travel gadgets, we want to hear about what you travel with. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, feel free to share with us below. You can use our photo gallery or host your images elsewhere.

Cueto_99 said:

In about a month I'll be traveling to China, the flight from Colombia to Los Angeles takes about 7 hours and from Los Angeles to Shanghai takes 14, so I'm really planning to take as many gadgets as I can to distract myself (I can't sleep in planes). Along with me I'll have my iPhone 4, my trusty Lenovo Y460 (includes a GT550m for gaming), a Nikon D5000 D-SLR Camera, probably my dusty Nintendo DS Lite (which I haven't used in about a year), a Razer Orochi Mouse... that's probably it, I hope it helps a lot distracting me during those long flights

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Hmmm, things which never really leave me are:

JVC Black Series HA-M750 Closed Headphones

FiiO e5 Portable Amplifier

Cowon iAudio 9 16GB

Samsung Galaxy S (Rooted and custom rom with custom kernel)

Fujifilm HS10 Hybrid Digital Camera.

THAT IS ALL.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

At the top of my list is my Nikon D7000 with a few different lenses,

A Canon G9 as a backup camera,

Blackberry,

My iPod Touch 4G for tunes,

and my laptop. I don't currently have a tablet, though I intend on getting one in the very near future.

For a new tablet, I've narrowed my choices down to the #1 Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, #2 Asus EEE Pad Transformer, and #3 Kindle Fire (which I may get along with one of the other two just for grins).

I bring my shoes.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Hmm, let me think... my basics for travel: MacBook Pro, headphones and iPhone.

Then depending on the destination: Asus portable wi-fi router and spare ethernet cable, GPS, Canon Rebel XSi/Panasonic HD camcorder, and my desktop-sized mouse and mousepad (Razer Deathadder).

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Just a phone.

And caviar of the correct viscosity. Thats about it.

I'm a little anti-social I guess, I got rid of my cell because I missed being able to get away from people. As for gadgets, on the rare occasion I'll bring my laptop with me. If I'm going on vacation I'll bring my camera...

-I never even travel from the freezer to the microwave (college student) without my Motorola Atrix

-When I travel I make sure my ipod is fully charged and freshly updated with the songs I may or may not have just got from thepiratebay to insure sanity

-An 8 GB flash drive and a 2 GB spare in the event the 8 GB one gets washed again

-I remove the dust from my psp if its a long trip

-Last but not least a true geek is never fully dressed without his Multi-tool

... It seems Im an oddity without even owning a laptop but I had a nettop once that I hated due to lack of horse power and the unwillingness to pay for a nice one; considering I have a gaming PC at home and I paid lab fees I dont really have the need

matrix86 matrix86 said:

My G2x (rooted, no custom roms or kernals...yet, lol)

If it's a long trip and i'm not driving, my dinky Archos 101 for watching movies

If i'm traveling out of town, my laptop and 1tb WD hard drive

Arris Arris said:

HTC Desire HD w/ Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro headphones

Sony Nex 5 camera

Lenovo S205 AMD E-350 Fusion

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

On all my travels I bring:

- Nikon D90

- iPhone 4

- Etymotic HF3

Chris Cornell Chris Cornell said:

Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro

Creative ZEN 16Gb

Fujifilm Finepix JX280

fida1989 said:

-Blackberry Curve 8310 for calls

-Samsung Galaxy SL for the rest

treetops treetops said:

Lets see newspaper, a book, my glasses so I can see real far out the window in hd. Something that takes time to eat like beef jerky, pistachios, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.

If I still had it id say my htc droid x smart phone with head phones.

treetops treetops said:

btw i dont recommend wearing a back pack that says hd dvd or anything about electronics when traveling that just says please rob me

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

treetops said:

I'm not sure anybody would rob your HDDVDs

slayer357 said:

I travel with

-17 in MacBook Pro

-iPad

-Blackberry

-External HD

-Fatality Headset

-Razor Copperhead Mouse

All in my book bag for easy travel.

Panasonic Lumix LX3

Archos 70

Huawei u8160

SanDisk Cruzer 16GB

I travel with my MS-DOS computer complete with a CRT monitor and a cassette player or if I'm feeling really techy, a Sony Walkman!! If I have an extra backpack, I might bring a cellular phone, as long as I'm not planning to walk long distances, I have to be careful though because sometimes the antenna slips out and breaks.

htc thunderbolt

bose headphones

iPod touch

macbook air

doradhorror said:

Bringing a gaming headset and a gaming mouse everywhere with a crappy laptop... Are you retarded?

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

red1776 said:

Just a phone.

And caviar of the correct viscosity. Thats about it.

Do you like 10w-30, or 20w-50 for higher mileage?

Maybe he plays cs/css/steam games..... surely mac can play them at least!

Day to day;

USB extension cable

If I'm staying overnight add;

Personal laptop

Seagate external harddrive

A good book

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I try to keep my D700 with a "daily use, all range" loadout around at all times, though I've been thinking about cutting back on it a little so I can actually fit a laptop in my bag. Of course... I NEED a new laptop. An IBM Thinkpad T43p is REALLY showing its age nowadays... Other than that, My phone, and that's about it at the moment.

I bring one (or both) of my PC laptops.

They have better hardware than a mac and I saved about $700. Each.

Plus, I like being able to sync with family and friends without jumping through hoops.

I'd imagine it'd be embarrassing to say, "No.... I can't do that :(.... and I paid $700+ more than you for my laptop."

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

headphone extension cable

USB extension cable

If I'm staying overnight add;

Personal laptop

Seagate external harddrive

A good book

And pulling a diesel generator on a Radio Flyer behind you...

rajmond said:

My tablet: Asus EEE Pad Transformer.

For longish distances (with my wife at the wheel) I listen to my Philips 8-GB-Vibe player (mp3 64/128), when driving by myself I throw an mp3-CD (128) into the car radio slot.

For hotel rooms we carry along my wife's Dell Studio laptop (also on the offchance of free internet access.)

For a longer stay iin a holiday flat we take along an Archos 20-GB-player (also mp3 128) and a PC-speaker set to make up somehow for a decent stereo equipment.

My wife has a new Nikon digital camera, and we both have a Samsung mobile phone (pre-paid), which is, however, rarely used, just in case one of us gets lost/lost his/her way.

If there is no TV access, we can still get it going on the laptop by means of a Terratec USB-stick (DVB-T), works (nearly) everywhere.

BTW: I'm German and love CLASSICAL music.

hmm.. for an asian girl like me, I always bring:

iPhone

iPod

optional sennheiser earphones in case my apple earphones broken

Sony Vaio P11ZG that fits to my backpocket

finger-attached laser mouse

my japan-made-sunglases dat can change colors (purple,black,blue,etc)depends on light condition

verbatim store n go netbook mini usb (at the size of dongle) 16GB

bulletproof Corsair flash drive 8GB

Tissot T-touch watch

swiss army knife

white backpack (mashimaro brand)

..and my gold visa card

all in my Nissan 350Z, but I don't bring this when go overseas, too heavy :p

Renrew Renrew said:

Size 12 EEE shoes with Velcro fasteners.

mynameis said:

-Motorola Atrix

-Work Laptop (Latitude E4300) or my MacBook Pro depending on where I am going

-Kindle 3G

I am between tablets right now, just sold my Xoom but I would pick up a new one before going anywhere that requires plane travel, probably something ~7in

boybrushdred boybrushdred said:

i bring my iphone, headphones, and psp

I always take my work laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) on business trips and sometimes on personal trips. If not then I'll take my personal Acer Aspire 5820T. Don't forget power packs and plug adaptors as well. Basic Dell corded mouse (I love it for the forward and back buttons!), two portable hard drives (1TB and 500GB) for media. Nokia C7, plus charger and USB, Nike sports headphones and a two pin adaptor for the aeroplane. If I'm getting a hire car then an aux cable and Nokia remote music change cable.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I usually bring my laptop backpack with me which has just about everything needed to fix a computer. Laptop, Ethernet cable, cross over cable, little tool kit for taking apart computers, couple external hdds, usb to hdd adapter cable, my tools for making Ethernet cables(even tho I don't bring the cable unless requested - this way I don't loose the tools :P), my rescue external hdd, and my cd's with all my rescue, repair cd's for those computers that can't boot from USB and a 300watt power inverter. (For charging devices in the car.)

I know it seems a bit much to travel with, but just about every time I go on a trip someone is like "oh hey I have something wrong with my computer....", and I end up helping them with it :P.

I always travel with

acer Netbook

tomtom gps

Ipod video

Samsung Fascinate

and a pistol

I travel for months at a time.

A laptop is simply too big and heavy.

I used to travel with a Canon SX10. Now it is a tiny SONY camera with an underwater case.

I travel with an ereader. A KOBO touch. I read a lot on long trips and I can bring travel guides (Lonely Planet). Sure a tablet is nice but the screen for reading is much better on a Kobo touch. Sometimes I use my friends Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I wish the tablets had an eink display.

But the #1 device I travel with is an old Dell x51v. Now discontinued.

Great for email, internet, lists, contacts. Sure the tablets are made to replace this, but the Dell is ***MUCH*** smaller, works with both wireless and direct LAN cables, and has lots of software available, GPS too.

I do carry all software I use on a Kingston 32 GB thumb drive.

An LED flashlight is key.

A cell phone is very handy. Unlocked of course. I buy a SIM card in an y country I go to

So. Small and light with international capabilities. I use a dust and waterproof Samsung GT 82710. I once dropped a regular cell phone in an Asian toilet traveling from China to Mongolia.

Oh. Gomadic makes a single charger to charge everything so I do not need to have a charger for everything..

I realize that much of what I carry is old and different, but over years of travel, this is what I use.