Motorola Droid Razr specs trickle out, Atrix 2 launched

By on October 17, 2011, 7:00 PM

With its official launch scheduled tomorrow, details about Motorola's Droid Razr have been cropping up all over the Web. Earlier today, Droid Life published a full teaser picture, revealing an ultra-thin, Kevlar-backed handset. Meanwhile, MobileBurn received a package promoting tomorrow's New York City unveiling. It contained a Motorola-branded Rubik's Cube, a die-cast SR-71 Blackbird jet, a mouse pad with carbon fiber styling and two bags of thin mint chocolate candies.

The items are meant to represent the Droid Razr's "smarter," "faster," "stronger," and "thinner" design. Early specification leaks have validated those claims. BGR and others have confirmed that the handset will carry a dual-core 1.2GHz Texas Instruments OMAP processor, 1GB of RAM, a 4.3-inch 960x540 display protected by Gorilla Glass and a Kevlar-based shell. It's supposedly the thinnest LTE phone to date and its rear camera is rumored to support 1080p video capture.

As noted, Motorola has scheduled a press event in NYC tomorrow at 12PM. It's unclear whether any other devices will be displayed, though it's possible that the Xoom 2 could make an appearance. It's worth noting that a separate event for Android's much-awaited Ice Cream Sandwich build is also scheduled for tomorrow in Hong Kong. Although it could be pure coincidence, the coordination between events has led some to believe that the Razr will be the first handset to run Google's new mobile operating system. The software could just as likely be unveiled on the Xoom 2.

As a side note, the similarly-equipped Atrix 2 has just launched on AT&T. It's outfitted with a dual-core 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, a 4.3-inch 960x540 touchscreen, an 8MP camera with LED flash and 1080p video recording, 8GB of internal storage, a microSD card slot, as well as Bluetooth and GPS support. The Atrix 2 is priced at $99.99 through AT&T if you commit to a two-year contract, though the same offer is only $49.99 through Amazon. We also feel compelled to mention that our smartphone guide should be updated this week comparing today's hottest devices.

KG363 KG363 said:

I want a windows phone with those specs

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

kg363 said:

I want a windows phone with those specs

For what, really?

KG363 KG363 said:

I'm in love with the windows UI. The boost in specs is mainly for epeen, because the OS is pretty light and doesn't need too much processing power.

This had better work better than the Droid X2 because that Damn Phone has seen 2 updates and the Mobile Hotspot still drops out on me! Neither Verizon nor Motorola Care about this even though we have their Tethering plan and this Damn phone!

Verizon's solution to the issue is to cancel the Hotspot! I can't, I need it for when I travel and their Wireless Access Points are too expensive for their minimum plans!

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I would also like to see a WP7 with those specs, too many people have iphones and android, I want something different.

I guess Microsoft ought to be glad there are some people out there that like WP7. Not enough apps available for that OS for me and I don't like the UI either. Its okay to differentiate yourself from the crowd but I can think of better ways of doing that.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

root it, get the hotspot for free. Smart I know. Thank me later.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Looks cheap. Not digging the carbon fiber mixed with plastic. Gotta be one or the other.

My concern's Super thin case + 4G LTE will the Battery life be acceptable. If you make it really thin that doesn't leave a lot of room for battery. And the LTE sucks a battery dry fast see the HTC Thunderbolt.

The new line up of WP7.5 will have those specs and then some. Cant wait!