iOS 5.0.1 now available, said to fix bugs affecting battery life

By on November 10, 2011, 6:00 PM

Apple has publically released iOS 5.0.1 today to address battery life issues introduced when the company launched iOS 5 last month. The fix went live this morning and can be installed through iTunes or for the first time, over-the-air on devices already running iOS 5.

Apple hasn’t publically said what exactly led to the poor performance that some customers have experienced on iOS devices, but the new incremental update supposedly rectifies the issues. In addition to the battery fix, iOS 5.0.1 also adds multitasking gestures to the original iPad, resolves bugs relating to Documents in the Cloud and improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation.

To install the update over-the-air, tap Settings then General and finally Software Update. The device will check Apple’s servers for the latest software update which can then be downloaded and installed without fooling with iTunes. The update is about 45MB and users are prompted to connect their device to a power source during the process.

Battery life issues sprung up shortly after iOS 5 and the iPhone 4S were made available in October. Initial reports claimed that iOS 5’s location services was responsible for the excess power drain while others put the blame on the new notification system. Based on Apple’s statement to All Things D last week, there were a few bugs at play so either or both of the above mentioned scenarios could be accurate.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I hope it improves my battery life. I can only go about 16 hours ish with my brand new 4s. I've only had it five days and I already can't stand the battery. Maybe if I used Siri less, I might get better battery power...but then what is the point of having a 4s? lol

aj_the_kidd said:

ghasmanjr said:

That is the selling point of the 4S, if it doesn't work i would want my money back or a new unit

captainawesome captainawesome said:

I must say, battery has been worse on my normal Iphone4 since upgrading to IOS5. Downloading this now - holding thumbs it improves.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I get my iPhone 4s 64gb White in a few hours! I actually cannot wait!

Ronmassgear said:

Battery life did improve with the update, anyone having problem with sms tone? After updating to ios 5 there was a stutter in the sms tone, still not fixed with the new update.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Ronmassgear said:

I was not as lucky as you. My battery life seems as if it actually dropped with this update. I'm actually kind of pissed off at Apple right now. The selling point is indeed Siri, but I can only use her for a few hours before it dies. Thanks Apple

16Hours isn't good? I have a iPhone 4s and it makes it through the whole day fine with moderate use. If it makes it through the day I consider the phone fine in my book. I am not going to do the 5.01 update as I heard of a few issues when people upgraded and I see no reason to risk it when my phone is fine. I think people who are having battery problems are down to like 32% or less within 4 hours after pulling off charge. Now that would be a problem.