Weekend Open Forum: Your worst gaming habits

By on February 3, 2012, 6:52 PM

Although I've never pillaged someone's RuneScape account at knifepoint, I have plenty of less-than-proud moments in my gaming history -- like many of you, I imagine. My lowest point was undoubtedly spending months of free time on a little-known MMORPG called Dofus back in 05 or so. I paid for multiple accounts and played several characters simultaneously for 6+ hours a day (more on weekends).

Gamer runs 36 WoW accounts at once (from 2008)

After about eight months, I deleted the characters and I've largely avoided MMORPGs since, besides a few weeks on WoW. However, I've had similarly shameful stints with titles in other genres, such as StarCraft (Brood War and Wings of Liberty) as well as SOCOM II (a shooter on the PlayStation 2). What games have you been most hooked on? Are there any obsessions you feel particularly guilty about?

tengeta tengeta said:

My first one was Ultima Online, then at other random times the Halo Series, Lineage II, World of Warcraft, the Grand Theft Auto series, and Counter-Strike. Also Pokemon on GameBoy when I was a kid. I've taken a huge step back in recent years and play games mostly when I'm physically with friends.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Bah, yeah, I spent a ridiculous amount of time on GTA III and Vice City too.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

HAHA, I used to play Dofus!

Does list ever end? Buying things for diablo II. Endless hours on mw2, DII, flyff, kartrider (north american and popkart), command and conquer tiberian sun (played other but that was my favorite) I almost have more hours spend gaming then in reality - sleep.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

Probably buying games on steam shock sells and NEVER playing them haha. Also the whole eating crap food and consuming amazing amounts of energy drinks is bad too.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Whenever my sleep suffers...

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

RBI Baseball back in 87, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Resident Evil, Dungeon Siege, Knox, Darkstone, Neverwinter nights, World of Warcraft, Mass Effect, Dragon age, Titan Quest

Diablo 1 Diablo 2. Aforementioned are the ones my wives hated me for, I got them hooked on Diablo series. Steam...

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Used to buy gold when playing WOW as I wasn't willing to grind for hours for regent drops.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have a strong craving to replay through Final Fantasy VII every few years... first on the PS1, then on the PC via an emulator, then on the PSP. Just waiting for the iphone app now

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Drank one too many beers one night while playing the MMORPG Asheron's Call. Let's make that I was completely blitzed. Logged on the next day to find my uber character completely naked, standing in the middle of a swamp filled with critters I had no chance against. Had no idea how I got there or what happened to all of my uber stuff. I was so angry with myself I deleted that character (which I had invested about 6 months in) and started from scratch.

Never said I was a brain surgeon.

Never bothering to finish games, playing on easy difficulty, quicksaving too frequently. I can't even remember the last time I "died" in a game.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

LOL That's an awesome story Tom.

Scshadow said:

I just stopped playing a browser game called Travian. Nothing special really and its definately not for everybody. Its proficient at causing sleep deprivation. Thats cause you can log out but that doesn't stop people from attacking and permanently destroying your account. It runs 24/7 and each server lasts a year(been playing since 2007). So for me, it was months on end not getting any more then 2 hours of sleep at a time.

Zecias said:

Scshadow said:

Reminds me of this mmorpg(cabal) i used to play. There were these pvp events called nation wars and this one guy i knew built his schedule around them so that he could attend every single one.

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

I've wasted way too much time on Call of Duty games and I'm sure the same will happen when (if) Diablo III is released.

yRaz yRaz said:

I always hit 5 instead of 6 when trying to call in a UAV/Airstrike/ helicopter in CoD4. Yes I still play CoD 4...

my worst has to be buying gold for an MMO, OH MY GOD you dont want to know how much of my parent's money i've spent LOL

good thing their disgusting rich

back in the year 2000-2002, i used to play starcraft: broodwar (for 12 hours) and diablo II: LOD (for 3-6 hours) on battlenet.

i still play either game now but at 1 hour only, sometimes less.

maybe its my old age catching me.

i never had any longing for any mmorpg out there but i am drooling for diablo III to come out and starcraft 2 first expansion.

(but no, i will not be buying these games at the current exorbitant prices, and surely when their battlechest editions come out. :) )

in order..

- Warcraft 2

- Duke Nukem 3d Demo (was awesome back then)

- StarCraft

- Quake 1 team fortress

-Tribes 1

- Counter-Strike, Diablo 2

....no gaming for many years.....(university)

-WOW

-BF3

hitech0101 said:

Was addicted to ragnarok online for like a year or so but deleted the account and now addicted to few single player games but atleast they end in a week and i only play them during vacations so its all good.

ramonsterns said:

My current vice are MOBAs/HeroRTS, mainly Dota2 as I quit HoN because of the community. I'm finding Dota2 to be no better. Also thinking of dropping it, not worth losing my temper over someone who decides to ruin 30-60 minutes of my life with their stupidity.

I'm currently playing Path Of Exile (Diablo-like game currently in closed beta, open beta coming in the spring). I spend easily 6 hours a day playing this game. I actually got a hardcore character to level 74 and just died today, I almost destroyed my keyboard. Luckily at least Path Of Exile moves hardcore characters down to legacy when you die. So you don't lose the character or any items, you just lose the "Hardcore" status. Anyways, great, addictive game, much more promising than Diablo 3. Oh and Path Of Exile will be a free to play game but NOT pay to win. They will sell basically useless but cool looking effects for skills, extra storage in your stash (which you start with 4 pages, I imagine you'll be able to expand to 10 or 15).

Anyways, back to playing POE.

Playing Combat Arms now....2 am and awake....****....

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

240 hours into Battlefield 3. I gotta stop reloading after every kill, and I'm bad for not finishing games.

I was a competitive Counter-Strike player for a number of years. Part of one of the best UK teams, so that required me to put in upwards of 12 hours a day. 6 hours of warming up then 6 hours of clan matches. I don't regret those days at all though. To be at the top of your game, having a team depending on you and then delivering when it counts? Doesn't matter which medium you're doing it through, it's just a satisfying feeling.

As for shameful gaming moments? WoW takes that. I had days where I woke up and only left my room to quickly eat something or use the bathroom. At least with Counter-Strike there was the competition aspect, but WoW was nothing but a time sink, with very little reward.

Wiggum said:

I started with DAOC, did some WOW, AION, and some others. I would play 6am to 7am go to work and come back at about 3pm. I would play from 3pm until 1-2am. I did this all week. Weekends I would play for 20 hours+ a day. I started calling in sick from work in order to play. I stopped going out with friends and dating. I did this for 10 years. I got so lazy with real life I started throwing my bills in a pile. Many of the bills I never paid. Many went into collections. I had an IRS tax lien because I didn't do my taxes for 5 years. I did do the taxes finally and got the lien removed, and I paid my bills.

I decided two years ago to quit playing video games all together. I deleted all my accounts. I gave all my in game items away and went cold turkey.

Two years later I do miss the MMORPG games and I miss my in game friends, but real life had to come first. I came to the conclusion that I have an addictive personality and have to stay away from the online gaming. Up until recently I did play some Xbox and ps3 games but I was able to just walk away from them as I didn't play them online. I have since sold both machines as I just am bored with gaming now. Will I go back to gaming one day? I imagine that I may play some console games, but my MMORPG days are over.

MCJeeba said:

I put about 4,000 hours into Final Fantasy XI in about 10 months. But that still doesn't compare to the tens of thousands of hours I've put into the Total War series over the past decade.

NEVER PLAYED a game but I got hooked on building and tweaking my son's pc so he could play. Each new patch, each new video driver, each new Windows beta... well, let's just say it was not a productive passion.

I think I was shocked back to reality by a gamer's forum where I saw a guy like me parodied too well. One guy humorously asked another, "What do you play, the benchmarks?"

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Clocked up over 110 DAYS played in wow in my main. I know many players who did more but that was all before the lich king expansion and I was working full time. Basically work and play, work and play. Very bad, won't ever play an mmo that crazilly again.

Silliest moment? Logging on drunk on new years eve and getting an amazing price for tons of wool I think off some guy that just wanted to sell me tons and tons of the stuff. I spent nearly all my gold, checked prices on the auction house and looked great, it was all selling for loads more than I was playing. Next day I logged in, found my bags and bank full of wool and no money, had a sinking sensation. Checked the auction house and the prices were all less than I paid. Never do drunken wheeler dealing on new years eve in Warcraft

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I get carried away far too easily with games; I've done a 24 hour with Vice City in the past, literally dropped to sleep driving to a mission on it.

Amount of times i've been to the doctors in the past thinking i've got DVT through gaming is unreal.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I bought Skyrim and BF3 for PC only a week after each release. Both still in shrink rap on my desk.

treetops treetops said:

Diablo 2, I had a 91 hardcore necro when you couldnt use the cow level to level up. I also ran about 5 bots on diablo 2 at a time. I was hooked on dota for awhile and wow ruled my life for about 6 months, but I got bored of it and figured out it was the world of waiting, world of whining and world of walking. Now I am almost sad to say no game has caught my attention in many years. Maybe its because im older or maybe its because games suck nowadays. Maybe i'm still just waiting for d3.

p.s. I punched my old crt monitor as hard as I could when my one of my diablo 2 hardcore characters died from a pop up many many years ago. Nearly broke the screen and my hand. I had a 88 hardcore barb with a coveted ith blade. If I ever meet the maker of late 90s early 2000 pop ups its *** kicking time.

p.s.s. In diablo 2 if your character dies in hardcore its gone FOREVER. lol I used to have nightmares of being attacked in town and not being able to click the save and exit button.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

yea... a still game called Alien Adoption Agency. Not a bad text based game, if it's still what I remember it was...

mayankleoboy1 said:

Age of Mythology.

played 8+ hours everyday for several months

Modifying, installing, removing, re installing game files to get a better FPS... need a new pc..

Cota Cota said:

Oblivion, i play it from morning to dusk, i downloaded about 80+ permanent mods on the game and i literaly played all decent quest mods on Nexus. It is the lowest possible point i had fell on my life, but more than a shamefull moment for me it was a breake from life since after some very several relationship problems whit some one i never want to see or ear ever again.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

When I was 11, I started playing The Elder Scrolls: Arena. It was definitely the most amazing game we had back in 94. I would play 8 hours a day and my mother would get horrified by all the violence and twisted moral portrayed in the game.

The funny thing is I didn't know a single word in English. I would do just the killing and looting, all day long.

Of course, I couldn't finish one single quest of the game. And with time, I lost interest in all that meaningless bloodshed (but not before I had reached very high levels with both my characters.

That is, untill 1996, when Daggerfall was released.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

RPG games: Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 plus expansions, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 + Expansions + the free community content, Gothic 1, 2, and 3, Nox, Dungeon Siege 1 & 2, Divine Divinity, Dragon Age -- addiction central. Oh and Morrowind which is so huge of a world with so much to do I realized I had to uninstall it because I was wasting way too much time; I never did get beyond the Fighter's Guild quest line. :o

Throw in Thief 1, 2, and 3 plus the whole Command & Conquer series as well.

* Now my new focus has been league of Legends that has a community steeped in narcissistic rage.

Leeky Leeky said:

Some interesting comments here!

+1.

I've banned myself from getting a single game now until I start playing the ones I have. I've got a fair few now and realistically only really play 2-3 of them, so not even 10% of what I already own.

The price just "fools" me into ordering them just "in case." I feel ashamed when I moan about the cost of BF3 and MW3 or whatever the new one is, when I could easily have got them at full retail instead and actually used them.

Though I doubt my old (note pensioner old!) computer could handle them -- so maybe I am best updating it first.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

hellokitty[hk] said:

Whenever my sleep suffers...

Exactly, I want to go to bed after finishing whatever needs to be done during the day, but I also want to game...

Thankfully I don't have that much money to spend on games, so I don't have that many to waste time on, lol

jarulezz said:

MW2 was the worst for me... It was released in the last year of my secondary school and I spent over a 1,000 hours on it. Clan wars and playing with friends was a big argument

At that time MW2 > Exams

now I kinda regret that, but it was a hell of a lot fun

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Civ and the Hearts of Iron series have been long time companions in terms of cracking out. I'll usually fire one of them up when I'm going to go into a long session of watching some shows or movies.

Um, not computer... bridge with cards and real people...2 bottles of scotch...42 hours straight...finally broke up to go to Monday morning classes...felt like chopped liver someone had spread on a sidewalk in Manhattan in mid-summer in front of Grand Central.

killeriii said:

I used to play a lot more. (FF 1-9 were favorites, and GTA series)

I still buy the blockbusters when they come out, even though i never play most of them.

Oh well...collection looks nice.

Lately i've been modding Minecraft.

Huge community.

Seems to be getting me good at java language. Little SQL work too.

Even got to build a dedicated blade server for it!

Tygerstrike said:

Uhg FFXI spent 7 years pretty much non stop except for RL like work ect. I take breaks for months at a time tho. Worst gaming habit for me would be the whole NOT EATTING. Especially with MMORPG's! Live gaming is like going fishing. You either stay with the fishing pole and catch the fish or step away and risk loosing the fish.

veLa veLa said:

Counter-Strike: Source since beta

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My worst... well OGame was the definitive worst gaming habit I've had, after that WoW, and now buying games on steam sales that I don't play... compulsive buyer here.

p51d007 said:

I quit playing computer games, when I would come home from work, sit down at the computer and the next thing you knew, it was after midnight! Nothing got done between the end of work and going to bed. All they did was suck up 3-5 hours a day of my time.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Anyway, the one I'm a little ashamed to admit is spending dozens of hours on Faerie Solitaire. My longest session ever was about 17 hours on Heroes of Might & Magic III. But I'm don't feel particularly guilty about playing games.

I do have tons of games I buy and don't play, as someone said here, but I always tell myself that when the kids grow up I'll have more time. Probably kidding myself.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Back when I just getting started with PC gaming, I used to spend 4-5 hours a day playing Doom and Doom 2. I also spent so much time playing Call of Duty that I eventually finished the game with a Logitech mouse whose teflon feet were so badly battered that I had a hard time aiming at the bad guys. I was so intent on playing that I didn't feel like getting up to look for another mouse. Nowadays, I have more games than I have time to play them with most still in their shrink wrapped covers. Another bad gaming habit I guess.