Doom 4 artwork leaked amidst cancellation rumors, Bethesda responds

By on February 29, 2012, 4:30 PM

Bethesda Softworks, a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media and publisher to such titles as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and various Fallout titles, has once again shot down rumors that Doom 4 has been cancelled. All Games Beta recently published an excerpt stating the game had been cancelled in addition to revealing several leaked screenshots that originally appeared on 4Chan.

In a statement to Joystiq, Bethesda vice president of public relations and marketing Pete Hines said that Doom 4 isn’t cancelled and that when they are ready to talk about it and show it off, they’ll let everyone know. All Games Beta has since added more screenshots to their gallery which now sits at 170 total images. It’s up for debate at this point whether the artwork is actually from Doom 4 or perhaps another unannounced title or expansion pack.

Similar rumors were unearthed in October 2011 when Kotaku reported that sources close to the publisher tipped them off that the game had been “indefinitely postponed.” Hines responded at that time stating that no games under development at id had been postponed.

Doom 4 was first confirmed by id Software on May 7, 2008 but since that time, little has been mentioned of it. The title took a back seat to id Software’s first-person shooter Rage which was released on October 4, 2011 on multiple platforms. Rage received mixed reviews from media with some citing underdeveloped characters and a lacking storyline.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ah, Bethesda... I'll just leave this here link

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

mmm 103MB of conceptual goodness

UnknownSky said:

@Wendig0

- Good link

- Mass effect 3 ad, ftw

Rage damaged ID's reputation in a BIG way.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Looks low-def. I hope it's got some better offer than Rage. That was a huge disappointment and came at the wrong time. Plus it was 25gb. Fail.

I loved Rage. It's a great looking game, with action and atmosphere. Dunno why people complain, really.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I don't think Rage is as bad as people made it out to be - and it really does look nice when everything is working properly. I agree that these leaked shots look quite low res - I assume they aren't the finished textures. It's also pretty obvious that we'll be getting another dose of megatexturing so I hope ATI gets everything completely smoothed out on that front soon. It's prevented me from playing too much Rage as I'm tired of downgrading my drivers just to get perfectly smooth performance for one game. CAT 11.10 is the only driver to be perfect in RAGE for me so far - but other games got performance boosts with newer drivers. 12.1 still has a tiny bit of microstutter in RAGE for me.

I have high hopes for Doom 4 even though I never finished Doom 3 or Quake 4. Also, I better not see any of that invisible barrier crap I saw in RAGE. A couch sitting in a hallway should not be enough to stop me from traveling in a certain direction.

Looks like once again they're making a game with the Doom name which looks nothing like what Doom is supposed to be about.

Huh? <i>Bethesda</i> is publishing DooM 4? News to me.

It looks like its abandoned its cyber theme. :( hopefully the enemies are back

I hope doom4 sees release, only if it has NO monster closets.

Jimbeau said:

They probably got cold feet. The Doom name was golden.

They most likely will never be able to release a game with

that name that will meet everyone's expectations.