AMD releases Windows 8 driver, Consumer Preview hits 1m downloads

By on March 1, 2012, 6:00 PM

Radeon owners running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview might want to take advantage of a timely update from AMD. Among other improvements, the release notes mention full support for Windows 8's WDDM 1.2 (Windows Display Driver Model), including native Stereo 3D support for full screen and windowed gaming, optimized screen rotation and power consumption, as well as improved sleep and resume performance.

The update also allows folks on Windows 8 to use AMD's various display features, such as Eyefinity, CrossFire and Overdrive. It supports most recent graphics card families from HD 5000 to HD 7000M, but 7000 series desktop cards aren't supported. The release notes say that a future Catalyst version will add support for Radeon HD 7700 and 7900 series parts in "the coming weeks," though a specific date wasn't cited.

Download Catalyst Driver 8.93.7 RC10 (release notes)
Desktop/Mobile: Windows 8 32 and 64-bit

It's worth noting that the R295 driver Nvidia released a couple weeks ago also supports Windows 8, though we're not sure to what extent. Some users claim v295.73 WHQL only provides basic functionality without support for features such as Stereo 3D, CUDA, PhysX and OpenCL. If true, we assume Nvidia will enable those components soon enough. Gamers using other versions of Windows should grab the update regardless.

Download GeForce 295.73 WHQL (release notes)
Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

The commercial success of Windows 8 remains to be seen, but people seem interested in Microsoft's latest operating system. In a tweet this afternoon, the company announced that a million copies of the Consumer Preview have been downloaded (no mention of unique users, though -- I downloaded two copies myself). Because Microsoft didn't release download stats for Windows 7's beta, it's hard to draw comparisons.

KG363 KG363 said:

New mobile nvida drivers aren't working for me. My laptop won't start with them.

I agree with the guy above. after i installed the laptop driver, my laptop was turned into a damn brick! it would not boot. AMD = FAIL!!

i had to to a complete reinstallation to fix it. screw those drivers

KG363 KG363 said:

I just kept using the power button to turn the computer off and on when it hit the "wall of color" and eventually Win 8 realized it needed to go into recovery mode.

Chazz said:

I'm confused, are we talking AMD or Nvidia mobile drivers? Or do both of them suck?

it's not the drivers it's the os

Chazz said:

Obviously that's not what they're talking about.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

^ haha. Guys why you running preview software as your primary OS? Dual boot ftw!

EEatGDL said:

I'm using NVIDIA's latest drivers on my XPS 15 without issues with Optimus. Is funny the first post is about NVIDIA and the second refering to the first one talks about AMD.

1 million downloads=1million uninstalls 4 hours later, from what I've seen of vista2....I mean Win 8 It's more a mobile os badly port to work on a desktop as an after thought.

Puiu Puiu said:

The latest driver from Intel didn't work for me. After hours of trying to modify the INI file i hit a brick wall. The installer started but it gave an registry error although everything should have worked just fine (at least to my limited knowledge).

I started downloading some older drivers (8.15.10.2413) and found one with an INI file that didn't have the lines where it restricted installing the driver on win xp/ win 8 (yes they put this in the INI and yes i did unrestricted win 8 on what i was working on). it was just simpler and it installed just fine.

i have intel GMA 4500m. newer or older IGP's should have the same fix if the newest drivers don't install.

I'm getting the same problem, windows hangs for about 20 seconds when I roll in to the top left or bottom right of the screen. Sounds like this AMD catalyst release is supposed to sort it out but all these comments have scared me off trying it. Has anyone had it work for them yet?