Tribes: Ascend goes live, offers freemium, class-based enjoyment

By on April 13, 2012, 5:30 PM

Yesterday's launch of Tribes: Ascend marks yet another free-to-play offering for gamers that looks like great fun. Although the Tribes franchise has laid dormant for some time, Hi-Rez Studios has managed to bring back the classic title with the addition of some new features while simultaneously retaining much of what made Tribes and Tribes 2 unique and enjoyable games.

One of the primary features which differentiate Tribes: Ascend from previous Tribes titles is a new, class-based system which features switchable load-outs. Different load-outs feature different gear and deployables. Players can either unlock classes or new weapons through the in-game experience system or purchase them outright with real money. The new classes include three distinct categories: light, medium and heavy and there are three classes per classification.

Despite going freemium and adding classes, many critics and users are saying it's exactly what they expected a new Tribes game to be. It's fast paced, offers plenty of unhindered movement and features a rolling, busty topography. The game features tons of weapons and vehicles -- just as its predecessors did -- and they've even recreated a couple of the maps found in previous Tribes titles. As a result, reviews from both users and critics seem to be overwhelmingly positive, perhaps even glowing, probably due in part to an unshakable nostalgic fondness.

Although Ascend lacks built-in voice communication, it does provide a menu system similar to Unreal Tournament which allows players to issue audible in-game commands to other players. The game also includes five different ways to play, including capture the flag, capture and hold, team death-match and just plain ol' death-match.

Enjoy the trailer below or go check out the game for yourself.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Looks like Unreal Tournament. What the heck - it's free. Worth checking out.

@TomSEA, Actually it looks like Tribes because... it's Tribes which actually predates UT.

Oh boy, downloading now. I hope my much older hands can keep up with the action of tribes like I did in the 90's. It was my introduction to fast paced MMO and the online rage has been burning ever since.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Shazbot

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I had a really fun time in the beta, until I hit lvl 6 and balanced match making became a thing of the past. I really hope they changed it a bit since then, because its actually a really fun game.

Anything that features a rolling, busty topography is fine by me :)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Downloading now

@FirstGuest, It's made with the Unreal Engine so....

yRaz yRaz said:

Tribes came before UR. The UR engine is highly efficient and runs on everything so almost everyone uses it anyway. I think TomSEA and the guest were referring to gameplay, not the engine.

(yet another guest, I am so lazy)

@yRaz

Actually Unreal was released before Starsiege tribes UT wasn't though.

yRaz yRaz said:

Unreal came out in may 1998, Tribes came out in November 1998. If you're trying to imply that Tribes copied Unreal(which is what I thought TomSEA was saying and guest was disputing ), 6 months is hardly enough time to develop a game and they both have pretty different play styles. However, the case could be made that they both are modeled after Quake. I've had great times playing all of them but the most memorable for me was Tribes.

To say something on topic, the new tribes is a ton of fun. It's free so what's to lose? For anyone who remembers quake, unreal or tribes, you'll get a real kick out of it. It took me right back to 98-2000. The learning curve is kinda steep so try not to get frustrated.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I've started playing it again... after a long break from early beta. Guess my name and see you in game

MilwaukeeMike said:

Man, I loved Tribes back in like 2000 and 2001. Awesome fun game. Didn't like the sequal much, but I wasted a ton of time playing the original. I'll have to try this one out for sure.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Hah! Just deleted some spam asking for Tribes referrals... I actually considered doing this on the forums myself, but decided it was more spam-like than anything else so let's not start putting our Tribes Ascend referral links in this thread please. It has the potential to get quite messy.