Weekend Open Forum: How many games do you own?

By on April 13, 2012, 6:30 PM

We’ve featured multiple video game-related questions here throughout the years but surprisingly enough, we’ve never asked how many games you actually own. Some people tend to hang on to every game they have bought while others typically trade up to a new system each cycle and send last generation’s games packing.

I personally have 11 PC titles and about half a dozen Xbox 360 games. I’ve got another eight games on my mobile phone and probably 10-12 on my iPad for a total of 30 or so. The count would be much higher but I’ve fallen victim to trading in games for next to nothing over the years. I likely lost 50-60 titles this way dating back to the original NES.

Whether it is on the PC, your favorite gaming console or a mobile device, we want to hear (roughly) how many games you currently own.

Prosercunus said:

Steam says I have 129 games. I imagine that number is more like 115 unique games or so. That is just on Steam, I have maybe a couple dozen hard copy PC games, and maybe half a dozen games each on Origin, D2D, Games for Windows, etc

40 or so Xbox 360 games... 2 Wii games, 8 or so N64 games, 2 SNES games, 1 NES game, I use to have much more of the latter three console games, but I have sold or just gotten rid of them over the years.

456 On Steam...More to Come!!! I'm Hooked!

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have 285 steam games and i haven't bought a new game in about a month. i been slowing down on the games i buy.

MrAnderson said:

I have hundreds... I refuse to count... No longer retain my old collection on SNES... still have a NES at my parents... with over 10 titles... I gave my N64 and SNES to my younger brother... big mistake... nothing lasted... over 30 Wii titles, over 60 PS2 titles, 2 PS One, over 30 XBox 360, 3 XBox, 15 DSi, over 60 PS3, over 100 PC titles digital download and Disc together... that is an under estimate... gosh I had to take most of them out of box/case and place them in folders...

I have 400+ games on Steam (not including DLC), 55 on GOG and handle full here and there from other digital distribution outlets. I have around 30 games on physical media and around 200 iPhone games (90% which were free).

The worst part is one would think I'm a huge gamer because of the above, but I'm more of a collector. For every game I MIGHT finish, I will have purchased another 10. The worst part are the Steam sales of 75%+ off - I mean for $5 what's there too loose when games come out at $50-60.

I'm slowly coming to realise I might be better off buying that new game for $60 and playing it now, rather than buying lots of cheaper games where I only play the odd one. It wouldn't be much of a financial gain, but I would feel I'm getting more use out of my money. I'm also trying to only focus on must have titles as opposed to merely good and decent games.

I don't have time to play and finish all the great games, let alone all the good ones as well.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

How many do I own? Probably 0 according to the producers of the games (for PCs that is).

For consoles, I probably have 60+, but that is over everything from Wii down to NES in the nintendo line, a few atari 2600 games and a few orig xbox.

pretzelwagon said:

Steam: 118

Consoles: ~100 (NES, SNES, N64,, GC, Wii, PS1/2/3, Xbox/360, Gameboy, DS)

Mobile: ~20

---------------

Total: ~238 games. More or less.

JC713 JC713 said:

Maybe over 300 nintendo games over the years since the gameboy advance. Now I have like 20 PC games.

rvnwlfdroid said:

I don't even want to take a look, mostly because if I start to look i'll start to think about how much I've spent on them over the years. This much I will say... For systems I've owned all of Nintendo's excluding the hand helds, Playstation 1&2, Xbox&360, Dreamcast, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 2600/5600, Sega Genesis, I think there is another one but I can't remember. Now as far as PC's go. Going back to my commodore 64, 286, 386, Pentium, PII, blah blah blah.... to current. The thing is I still have all of the console systems and games boxed up. I have no fewer than 20 games for each system. Along with all of the PC games I've ever owned. Yes that includes the 5 1/4 floppy's. Well so much for not thinking about it...

miluthui miluthui said:

I have a lot of PC, PS2 and PSP games and some PSX games and some hentai games (does that count? :P) . Too much to count but I'm sure I have most of PS2 and PSP games released to date and a huge collection of PC games since I only own 3 systems now. I plan to buy a PS3 and PSVita next maybe a 3DS too.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

50+ PC games (not steam linked)

50+ Steam games

15+ of each: 360, ps2, gamecube, n64, sega genesis

~10 Wii and ~10 gameboy anything

And maybe 10 mobile if you want to count that...

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I have several hundred if not into the thousands if you count all my old consoles and games. I never get rid of any of my stuff... I just pack it away and hold it as part of my "Sick Collection." I've been gaming pretty hardcore since the late 70's

tkeys356 said:

PC-338 (112 Steam)

Xbox 360-98

PS3-54

Wii-12

Xbox-84

N64-41

Gameboy-18

NES-30 (11 dont work)

Total=675

Give or take a few I couldn't find

Lurker101 said:

I have a bookcase specifically for my PS2, PS3 and PC games and it's rather full.

0 games here :(

A. desktop/laptop games

blizzard games:

stacraft battlechest

diablo 2 battlechest

starcraft 2 wol starter edition (don't laugh :), i'll buy the battlechest when it's offered)

popcap games:

zuma deluxe (installed when offered as a free time-limited download)

steam:

half-life

pacman and ms pacman (coded for windows 95 by james rowan aka JROK via DosBox 0.72 on windows 7 x64)

B. Nokia 5320 XM Phone

spore

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Off the record, one original copy of Dead Space 2 for Windows. The rest, well it came from torrents (A total of 250 titles for the PC).

Gah... The games in the picture aren't organized by series... *Cringe*

hitech0101 said:

Many maybe around 50 but most of them are pirated.

Jibberish18 said:

Total? Downloaded and Physical? Well I have games on my Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Gameboy DS, Playstation, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Sega Saturn, WIndows Phone, iPhone 3GS. That being said? I'd estimate at least 200. Keep in mind, at least. Probably more.

C= 64 games i have over two thousand easily

C= Amiga games over two thousand easily

Intellivision games i have 17

PC games about 700 (including steam titles and retail discs and other digital purchases)

NINTENDO DS about 400

NINTENDO 64 about 100

SEGA Mega drive and such about 800-1000 or more i lost count

To be honest i have lost count and if i added MAME then yeh it would jump a substantial amount, do i play them well i have played vast majority of them the ones i don't play were either not my cup of tea or i got caught up in others, this list is without the games i have sold in the past 25 yrs plus of gaming i haven't accounted for.

Started gaming when i was 9 i am now 36.

Gamesinner said:

I have about 30 Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 games. The new games I buy I usually sell on ebay within a few weeks of release so I can recoup some of the outrageous 63.99 these games cost with tax. For several of the games I own and keep I buy used for 10-15$ on ebay or amazon. For you devs and publishers out there who want to scoff at my used games selling and buying, just blame yourself because you priced yourself out of competition for your own used games. And don't worry if the next generation consoles don't allow used games I won't be upgrading.

ramonsterns said:

152 on Steam.

Another 6 as retail.

And 10 PS2 games.

You do not own the games you purchase on Steam...

Xenogears for life.

I have only 1 game bf3. I always play the multi player

Identical for me

andy06shake said:

10,000 or so beleve it or not!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As another guest pointed out, we don't really own any games...

But games that I have a legal right to play? Probably 150.

too many to count

but in the recent years I have decided to cut my games budget to

just 500.00 per year

to do this I have found that most of the crappy games out there are

just not worth it and game reviews from third party reviewing sites are

the best thing to weed out the crap

but i am still buying "DIABLO III" thank god I prepaid for it on last years budget.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

PC Games (Retail Box Copies)> Crysis 2, Battlefield BC2, Battlefield 3

Android Games (Free)> Six Guns, Zynga Poker, iGun Zombie, Fruit Ninja

Bleech said:

I'm 41, and been gaming since about 1979. I couldn't even begin to guess how many games I've owned. I'm sure I liked them all..for the first minute anway.

You do not own the games you purchase on Steam...

If you read the EULA of boxed games you buy, you don't technically own them either. In practical terms you own your Steam games just as much as anything else.

ramonsterns said:

You do not own the games you purchase on Steam...

Yes, your point being?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If by "own" you mean games I've ever paid anything for and haven't given away / thrown away / lost, I'd estimate around 400 (but it's probably more). One day I might get around to selling the Commodore 64 stuff I still have on eBay. And I don't include the "100 Amiga games" CD I think I still have around somewhere.

Still, the relationship between games paid for and games played is tenuous. There are a lot of games I paid for and haven't played, and a lot of games I played that I didn't pay anything for.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

200+ Too many to actually count.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have around: 50 PS2 games, 125 PC games and 12 PS3 games. All are solid, no steam stuff.

Happy to report I have significantly less than most here since although I love gaming, there's big beautiful world outside my door that I very much like to spend alot of time in. Not hating/condescending just keeping it 100.

Several thousand Pc games :S ,been gameing since the early 80's (tape drive format, 8 inch floppies, 5 1/4 floppies, 3.5 floppies, cd's, dvd's, digital)

barmecidal barmecidal said:

I recently got my childhood Atari 7800 back and have 19 game cartridges for it (some are 2600 and some are 7800). For whatever reason, I also got several Activision, Mattel and Interphase game cartridges with it. Other than that, I have a DS with a handful of games, a Super Nintendo with over 30 games and accessories and a gameboy (clear edition) with 5 games. I only have one Steam game (Portal 2) that my bf got for me.

Trusya said:

I own about 60 for Xbox, 3 for Wii, which I, actually gave away.

I don't have that much on Steam but I spend lots of paysafecards for extra stuff in mmorpgs. does this count like having those games if they are considered to be free to play?

killeriii said:

"You do not own the games you purchase on Steam..."

You don't own ANY games (unless you created them). You just purchase a license to use them.

That being said, i don't think i could count the games i have.

...somewhere around 50,000 - 100,000. (seriously!)

I'm somewhat of a collector.

I enjoy old school games the most. (colecovision, c64, nes, mame)

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

37 in physical discs and 18 digital.

viperpfl said:

I agree with the statement, "You don't own the games you purchase." You are just purchasing the license to play the game, not purchasing the physical game itself.

The question you you should be asking is how many actual games do you play the most? I have quite a few games, maybe 150 games. But I only play 1 or 2 at the moment.

None --in case my wife reads thiso_O

I used to sell em, but stopped. I have about 30, mostly 360 games and a handful of ps3 titles.

then come the downloads. tons, at least 50 games for xbox live. another 25or so on PSN.

lol