Diablo III open beta weekend starts today

By on April 20, 2012, 11:07 AM

Blizzard is opening the Diablo III beta to the public this weekend in an effort to stress test the game’s servers before the full title is released next month. All one needs to play the highly anticipated game is a Battle.net account and plenty of free time.

Players will have access to a small section of the game’s first act where they travel to Tristram and become familiar with a few of the main characters such as Deckard Cain’s niece Leah Cain. After setting out into the countryside in search of Deckard, the beta ends with a battle against the Skeleton King.

The beta will open on April 20 at 12:01 pm PDT and remain playable through April 23 at 10:00 am PDT. Weekenders will have access to the same beta game as closed players with the exception of not being able to post in the beta forums and not being provided Beta Bucks to use in the currency-based auction house.

The English, French and German versions of Diablo III will be playable this weekend. Regional differences and features in the Korean version means that a separate beta test will be conducted for Korea, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan next week.

Those who are already in the closed beta will still have full access over the weekend, although Blizzard notes that gamers might experience more lag or disconnects than normal. The closed beta will continue to run through May 1 and the full game is still scheduled to launch on May 15.

Hope my system just barely gets it to run for this.

Need a new computer to run the full game, got my Collector's Edition of game + guide pre-purchased, just waiting for the 15th! :D

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Diablo 3 isn't very demanding thankfully :3

howzz1854 said:

how big is the download?

NeoFlux said:

how big is the download?

Installer downloads 7.5GB

psycros psycros said:

"All one needs to play the highly anticipated game is a Battle.net account and plenty of free time."

You left out, "a fast computer with high-end GPU, a willingness to tolerate non-stop <i>real-world</i> product placement, acceptance of the absurdity of a <i>real money</i> auction house and a constant broadband connection..all for a primarily single-player <i>fantasy</i> game."

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Downloading as we speak. I truly hope this game is good. You know, "developed for 6+ years" good.

NeoFlux said:

It is...so far...Got beta key two days ago and already broke left mouse button

This may save me spending $60 on a game that sucks. Hopefully playing today I prove myself wrong and the game is actually good. Otherwise I still have Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, and Torchlight 2 to look forward to (maybe even Lineage 3).

I have been eagre to see this title since the official announcement in 2008 or such i think it was, but the recent truths of this game and real money for trading items and i think they wont be releasing an SDK for modders or mappers has left me dry mouthed after salavating for this title for so long.

I will instead be awaiting Guild Wars 2.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Already hating without even trying the actual game in a free beta form they are offering? Biased my ass

m4a4 m4a4 said:

This will prob be the only time that I play this game as online-only gameplay is a dealbreaker... Now if only the download would go faster...

The online only aspect is already pissing everyone since most people (everyone?) can't login to play even though the open beta started over an hour ago. :/

howzz1854 said:

can't install the game. it gives the infamous "Could not install. Invalid Installation Options. Please try again".

upon googling, it's a widespread problem.

FAIL

"You left out, "a fast computer with high-end GPU, a willingness to tolerate non-stop real-world product placement, acceptance of the absurdity of a real money auction house and a constant broadband connection..all for a primarily single-player fantasy game."'

First of all you dont need a fast computer with high end GPU... if you want to max the graphics perhaps, but D3 is optimized for a wide range of pc power, for example D3 runs fine on my PoS 3 year old laptop. Next the real world product placement is not in this game, but being considered for their "titan" game. They are using real money in the auction house to combat farming (and to get a little cash in the process) and is ENTIRELY OPTIONAL. Lastly they are implementing a constant connection to make sure hacks and dupes and such will not happen, this also allows you to play your character from any computer with no hassle

Yup, still cannot connect. Basically a single player game with co-op and they make it online only... ridiculous.

Same here can't connect to servers..Been trying all day. :'( :oops:.. Maybe better luck tomorrow.:D

Rasta211 said:

Wow, just hear about this at Techspot. Downloading it now

MilwaukeeMike said:

haha, and we thought 'stress' testing only applied to stressing the servers.

treetops treetops said:

Hu Za! 420 and d3 open beta so happy, I feel sorry for my poor poor school work\gf.

treetops treetops said:

If you dont want very slow download speed I recommend you torrent it!

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

I have just played a couple of hours and I deffinitely enjoyed it. But I'm quite sure it won't be a purchase for me.

treetops treetops said:

Why not?

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Why not?

Although the game is even better than I expected, I just realized this is not the type of game I want to play. Maybe if instead of point and click, we could use a gamepad, I would have liked it a little more. I know diablo has always been like this, but that's just how I feel now. I must say that I was so addicted to Diablo II, I had to give away my copy in order to stop playing. And my favorite class, paladin, is not even in the third game. I knew it all along, but I can't deny it was kind of a let down.

Of course, I'll play a couple more hours today and hope I'll change my mind.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Damn, why every time I quote someone, it shows as if I had written both the other guy's and my comment in one single messy paragraph? (Like the one above)

For all you out there with the installation problem, simple fix...move the exe into your program file directory and it works. Better directions on the part of Blizzard would have been nice, but fortunately the solution is easy

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Testing quote

treetops treetops said:

Switching to windows xp sp3 mode run as admin helped me when I got stuck on the setup screen. That or because I deleted the cache and battlenet folders as a blue suggested to someone else for a similar problem. Ending agent32 in task mnger helped others but mine popped back up to fast.

anywho if you need help installing hit up there technical support forums and browse til your eyes bleed

ikesmasher said:

I really wish there was an option to move around with WASD. apart from that, it was an AWESOME beta.

ikesmasher said:

oh yea, and it runs FINE on my a6-3400m. If thats high end, i dont know why people buy 200 dollar graphics cards. /sarcasm SO you do not need a high end anything, just dont play it on intel HD graphics.

But it really does work fine on my liano.

12 am servers down.

The problem is, for me and many other Diablo veterans, we're searching for nostalgia... If you want to feel the same feeling you had playing D1 and D2, you'll need to go elsewhere, because it is definitely NOT D3. Maybe give Path of Exile a try, it is clearly more true to the Diablo series than Diablo 3 is itself. For non Diablo veterans or those who never really got addicted to the game, you could like Diablo 3, try it at least before the open beta finishes.

Remember playing hardcore and the adrenalin rush from near death encounters? Remember the thrill of the game. The excitement experimenting with new builds. Well that's all gone in Diablo 3. The dark goth look of Diablo has been replaced by cartoonish WoW influenced graphics that pretty much destroy that nostalgia feeling right from the beginning. The skill system is dumbed down, they took an already simple game and simplified it to a point where you feel like you have no real control over your character. You're just following a linear path, through the story and through the development of your character.

For all those who feel the same. Take a look at Path of Exile and Grim Dawn, both games look great in their own ways and they need your support. Grim Dawn has a KickStarter page going strong right now, and Path of Exile is accepting support through their site. You can actually purchase a Path of Exile beta key and try out the game, it's a great game. It may be a bit too cut throat, but still a great game that has a dedicated team improving it everyday. You might even get that Diablo nostalgia feeling you were looking for in D3 but couldn't find. Another ARPG to look forward to is Torchlight 2, while on the cartoonish side, it will still be far more true to the Diablo series than D3 is.

If Diablo 3 isn't satisfying your thirst for Diablo, look up: Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, and Torchlight 2.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My thoughts exactly.

DanUK DanUK said:

Downloaded it last night in next to no tiime which was cool to try it out last minute.

As someone who has never even played a Diablo game before, I can say I was quite impressed and I think I may have to buy this one! (time permitting, depending on when guild wars 2 comes out).

@Dan: ...and you still have never played a Diablo game.

lipe123 said:

So after playing through the beta with 3 different characters, I've come to the conclusion: this is not Diablo 3. I guess it's a good game, however for Diablo veterans you have to go into it knowing it's not what you want. The only thing that makes it "Diablo" is the name, the fact that it's still an ARPG, and the storyline. They should have just called it something else like "Demon Slayer" and created a new story - then it would have been received better by Diablo veterans as they wouldn't be expecting Diablo...bla bla bla

Seriousley, first off its a beta that gives you a 2% gameplay glimpse. You are comparing months spent on D2 maxing out chars, hardcore mode etc to a beta that takes 30mins max to play through!

I'll give you one thing, they took out the option to change stats, and honestly every game now does that. You change your stats/style with runes and gear that adds to the things you want. Honestly its just comparing red and green apples and saying red ones are not really apples.

Then you go on about the character designs that wow-like cartoons, whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Also diablo 1&2 characters was nasty little 2d low res jpegs running around. Once again I don't even know how you can compare 2D prev gen chars to full 3 models. Not just that but they don't look cartooney to me at all.

Bottom line, you are comparing a completed product from 10 years ago that you remember as being amazing back then to a demo released now. If you wanted diablo 2.1 then you are SOL, we want D3.

@lipe123: lol... so you're saying: The game is crap right now... but throw our money at Blizzard because it might be good later? <sarcasm>That makes sense</sarcasm>

No, I'm not looking for Diablo 2.1, I'm looking for Diablo 3. The evolution of Diablo 1 to Diablo 2 was amazing. What has Diablo 3 evolution-ized? They have successfully created Diablocraft. Definitely a good game, however it shouldn't have been called Diablo. Oh well, Blizzard is a big company now, they can't take the same chances they did with Diablo and Diablo 2. At least we have Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, and Torchlight 2 which should be more enticing to old Diablo fans.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well I gave the beta a good go over the weekend. Playing through the beta with 2 classes, and goofing around with the other 3. (Wish I had more time to play with it, but sadly I do have a life) It is lacking some of the Diablo nostalgia I was hoping for but I really loved how they told the story & the little lore bits that play while still killing monsters. I'm not sold yet on the skill system, hoping that the "runes" for each skill make it deeper than it looks at first glance.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised on how well it ran on my computer (E8400 C2D @ 3.0ghz, 2 gigs DDR2 ram, GeForce 8800 512mb). When reading the min & recommend specs I had some doubts how well D3 would run, but with graphics set to Med/high, I only had 1 instance of frame lag. Very pleased about that.