Weekend Open Forum: Most memorable videogame boss fights

By on May 25, 2012, 7:30 PM

Boss fights have been a staple of video games since the beginning. Whether you play something as seemingly innocent as Mario or a game that scares the bejesus out of you. At the end of a level or the game itself, you’re likely to come face to face with an especially big, bad and mean character that’ll put your skills to the test. When done right, boss battles can really make beating a game that much more rewarding.

In this Weekend Open Forum we want to know: what are some of the most memorable boss fights you’ve endured? It doesn’t matter if it’s on PC or consoles, and it certainly doesn’t need to be recent, as long as you enjoyed sending them to hell piece by piece -- probably after facing defeat yourself a dozen times first.

Bonus video: The Video Game Bosses' Lament

Scorpionking20 said:

Every fight in Shadow of Colossus

cmbjive said:

There are many memorable boss fights, but for me the most memorable is the three stage final boss fight on Final Fantasy XI before finally facing off against Kefka. If you didn't build up your characters properly or you chose the wrong players you were in for a world of hurt, especially when Kefka starts off the final battle with the instant first move, Fallen Angel. If you didn't have at least Celes or Terra in your party getting everyone in your party healed was a difficult feat.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

<p>Every fight in Shadow of Colossus</p>

This. Motherfucking this.

cldmstrsn cldmstrsn said:

fimbles fimbles said:

Every boss in the zelda series, Darksiders deserves a mention too.

Awesome thread btw

javierkaiser javierkaiser said:

Sephirot, FF VII.

Epic battle with an epic music!

the dragon in every level end in nintendo's super mario brothers :)

(yeah, I'm THAT old)

The Cyberdemon from doom e2m8.

The fight with Shredder and his twin in TMNT, the difficulty, the music, the pace, everything is perfect!

The Green Dragon in Megaman 2, be chased by something that big in that time was incredible.

- Ma

cmbjive said:

<p>I have to say I think you are thinking of Final Fantasy VI not XI=11. But I agree the kefka fight is epic and also one of the best bosses and baddies to ever grace video games!!</p>

You're right, it is VI, but that's what happens when you've been up since 4am.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Lavos in Chrono Trigger. EPIC!!!

Oh and Smithy from super Mario rpg. Ridiculous.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Naruto vs Pein in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 xD

vs Red in GSC and HGSS

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Crashman with buster

/thread

p51d007 said:

The only boss I ever beat w/o using a cheat code was the hitler in the robot outfit in the original wolfenstein 3D series. LOL, other than that, god mode baby.

I just like to see how the cut scene ends.

Tearing off someones head and crapping down their throat - Duke Nukum

Comander Keen

Maggie Chow or Gunther Hermann from Deus Ex

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not much of a gamer outside of FPS/MMOs but for me.

Ulduar WoW: Algalon 25 He Feeds On Your Tears, Yogg +0, Mimiron, Flame Lev when it came out.

ICC: LK25hc

Prior to that in late 90s, not many games since back then wasn't a huge gamer, not until 2007 when I started gaming for serious. But Crash Bandicoot was fun ^^

Jibberish18 said:

Yuffie Kisaragi vs. Godo Kisaragi (Father). I didn't level up at the time of the battle and every time I'd hit him I'd literally take of just a few points. He kept healing and so did I. The battle honestly took at least a good 45-60 minutes. At least. Once I finally finished it felt like the most accomplished I had ever done. It was pretty damn epic if you ask me.

I have many more. You see I'm a huge RPG fan and RPG fans are always taking on Boss Battles of epic proportions aren't we?

scumbag said:

<p>Sephirot, FF VII.</p>

<p>Epic battle with an epic music!</p>

I can't remember the battle so much, I think I was still grieving for Aeris.

He had to die.

hitech0101 said:

For the old times I would say contra each level had a tough boss in the end.

More recently assassin's creed 1 loved the final ending fight was pretty challenging.

TekGun TekGun said:

Andross in Starfox64.

Doctor John Doctor John said:

Matilda-X in Dr. Lunatic Supreme with Cheese (Hamumu)

Rock hard scary action for silly folk!

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

Quiet a few. But few specifically.

1) The Sentinel (Battle Engine Aquila). My very first boss fight. Took me 42 minutes straight. And I survived on 2 blips of armour!

2) 343 Guilty Spark and Sentinels (Halo 1, 3). No explanation needed. "Wake me...when you need me"...

2) Jack of Blades (Fable: The Lost Chapters). Damn long the first time. 2.5 minutes the next time. But a very memorable fight.

3) Archimonde (Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos). For obvious reasons. Anyone who knows WC3 knows why.

4) Illidan (WC3: The Frozen Throne). Same as above.

5) Ritter (Soul of Darkness). Just for the touchy ending.

6) Basilisk (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets).

7) Orachimaru (Naruto).

8) Magician (House of Dead).

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Lu Bu in any Dynasty Warriors.

Easiest was the Chaos Lord at the end of Wh40K: Space Marine, it told you exactly what to do!

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Man, this thread could get huge....Here's mine:

Sorceress Ultimecia: Final Fantasy VIII

Omega Weapon: Final Fantasy VIII

Zodiark: Final Fantasy XII

Yiazmat: Final Fantasy XII

The End: Metal Gear Solid 3

The Boss: Metal Gear Solid 3

Psycho Mantis: Metal Gear Solid

Liquid Snake: Metal Gear Solid

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I remember beating Metroid, and being super excited only to find out you had to jump out of that giant shaft, and that made me so nervous, as it took me a long time and basically luck to beat the boss, and the prospect of having to try to repeat it was not something I wanted to do.

The most memorable boss fight that I didn't get to, however, was in Super Mario Bros. I usually could only get so far before I ran out of lives but one time, about 30 minutes before my friend's mom was supposed to come pick me up, I got lucky on that turtle trick on whatever level, that ended up giving you extra lives, so I jumped up and down (I was 10) as the lives collected up to 99.

So I start breezing through the game, playing far more recklessly due to all the bonus lives, so after losing about 40 of them I'm pretty close to finishing the game. By that time its the time that my friend's mom was picking me up to take me to his house. She hated to wait, and she was lazy (no cell phones in those days), so basically I had to be outside at the appointed time in order to get picked up. I play a few extra minutes, but about 5 minutes after the time I was supposed to be outside, I reluctantly turned off the Nintendo and the TV and started walking outside.

Just as I was about to step out the door, the phone rings. I run to pick it up, its her, she ran late doing something, and just got back to her house, so she wouldn't be there for another half hour or whatever. I was really upset. Didn't end up beating Super Mario Bros until about 20 years later when I loaded it up on a NES emulator on my computer.

Maybe the harrier in Metal Gear Solid 2 and Alma in Very Hard in Ninja Gaiden. The ones than comes to my mind now.

the first most memorable was Gannon from legend of Zelda Ocarina of time. and second most memorable is baal from D2 LOD.

The one that still stands out for me even though it's a newer game, relatively speaking, is the Last boss fight in Metal Gear Solid 4 on top of the tanker(?) don't remember what it is but for the sake of not spoiling anything it's that one. Hope you all know what I'm talking about.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Mizar from Jet Force Gemini on the Nintendo 64. Kind of a run of the mill boss battle mechanically, but the world level and environment of the final battle was memorable.

Next to this is the Moonlight Butterfly from Dark Souls. Again, nothing special from a mechanical standpoint, but the design of the boss and the atmosphere in this battle is one of the best I've seen.

killeriii said:

Bowser!!!

(and kids) from Super Mario World specifically. Must've played through that game 100 times or more!

Super Mario 3 gets a close 2nd. The fact that you could get to multiple Bowsers through glitches was epic.

I nearly quite literally pissed myself the first time I came across this thing, my only thought...."RUN AWAY....RUN AWAY!!

Sorry, I was referring to a comment regarding the Cyberdemon from doom(the original)

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I think every boss fight in Metal Gear Solid history deserves this honor but two stick out in particular. Beating The Fear on extreme difficulty using only the tranq gun was sooooooo hard. Also, the End was just a memorable fight. At any second, he can off you with one shot (on extreme).

Dr Robotnik, and the original MGS boss fights.

ramonsterns said:

I think the best boss is a player on the other side of the screen.

Failing that, Andross from Starfox 64.

treetops treetops said:

<p>the dragon in every level end in nintendo's super mario brothers </p>

<p>(yeah, I'm THAT old)</p>

hah yeah super mario 2 egg shooting dragon was epicly odd, jump on top of a hostile projectile, pick it up and throw it back at the boss?!!! at that time it was unheard of, many monocles were broke

ekonig said:

Loki from Ghouls n Ghost on the Sega Genesis was a ***** to beat and that is not counting that you had to play all the levels twice before getting to him.

@Marnomancer

Instant flashbacks of the magician fight in house of the dead 2, forgot how much I loved that, and how you had to fight lesser versions of every boss so far to get to him.

Suikoden 2, Luca Blight

you had to go through an unwinable map battle - after you get to damage his unit twice he teleports away and in the process dealing damage to everyone in the map

then three, count them, three party battles. six people on each of your team. If you haven't levelled some people up, you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you're selecting the thrid roster

then a one-on-one battle. That part was technically the easy battle since you were given clues as to what his next attack was but I didn't know that when I first played through and I had terrible level and armour that I had to go through all of that again because I died multiple times.

M1r said:

Mario vs Bowser in Super Mario 64

Final fantasy VI (3 US)

Do not miscall this holy relic.

best game ever ;)

ikesmasher said:

The ******* clown from donkey kong 64.

Actually, all the bosses from DK64 were pretty memorable.

Tgard said:

Tsarkon the 2 headed final boss thing from Sword of Vermillion around 1991. It was memorable because it was the first RPG I ever played and it was on Sega Genesis. Was hooked on RPGs and video games in general since then.

Still remember me shouting for help and my wife trying to guide me through the early parts of the game with the guide book while I played (should have read it first but who RTM?) as I had never played anything like this game - ahhh good times.

Many of the Final Fantasy bosses stick in my mind and also that one from Ratchet and Clank.

psycros psycros said:

A few that stand out:

The titular Exodus from Ultima 3;

Minion from Twisted Metal II;

Diablo from..Diablo;

The giant vehicle spewing multiple tracking munitions all over the screen, from every Japanese scroll-shooter ever;

Heh, <I>every</I> boss in Serious Sam I and II. Lunacy!

penn919 said:

Omega Pirate from Metroid Prime.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Another one that gave me trouble: Final Boss of Sonic 2.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Some people have already mentioned most of my favorites, so I'll just write the ones I didn't see here.

1- Mr. Freeze and Ra's al Ghul in Batman Arkham City (Those were epic. By far, best boss fights I've ever had)

2- Spider like boss in Resident Evil 5 (the one you must throw grenades into its mouth)

- Last boss in dragon age 2 (the priestess)

-Red Dragon in dragon age origins (along with every Revenant)

-Diabo and his brothers in Diablo II (I know people already said it, but I had to say it again)

- Every pinger in Crysis 2

-Firkraig in Baldur's gate II

-Bison in Street Fighter II

-First and last boss fights in Shadow Dancer (god, this game was sick)

-Moth Man in Shinobi (ps2)