Weekend Open Forum: How much is your cell phone bill?

By on June 1, 2012, 6:30 PM

I just got off the phone with AT&T after noticing that my monthly bill had increased by $10. The charge was coming from one of those scam SMS message companies and I was promptly given a refund. That got me thinking about my bill in general and just how expensive it is each month to maintain a phone with a basic data plan and unlimited text messaging.

I can remember a time when my monthly phone bill was under $50 but now even with the cheapest data and voice plans, I'm just shy of $100 per month. That's nearly $1,200 a year - ouch.

With this installment of the Weekend Open Forum, we are interested to know how much you pay for your mobile phone service each month. Are you on an individual plan or part of a family plan? Feel free to also share which wireless provider you use and what plan you utilize.

Xero07 said:

I'm worth $20 on my parents family plan. Low enough that they don't mind paying. Of course I have a small media phone. I plan to participate in the Republic Wireless beta this summer which is attempting a no contract $20/month unlimted everything plan that revolves around the idea of the phone utilizing wifi even for calls when available automatically. otherwise works off the sprint towers.

tkeys356 said:

AT&T

Iphone 3Gs

$110 a month, 450 minutes w/rollover, unlimited(5000) nights and weekends, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited text, 5gb data.

Chazz said:

I'm on a family plan, so I account for 40 bucks on the plan. The total bill is over 200 bucks with 3 lines. The way I see it, its only economical to have 4 lines. Anything lower is way too high. I was looking into separating my phone from the plan and its cost 100 bucks!!!! That's not acceptable to me. Before I was on this family plan my cell phone bill was forty dollars. The price hikes are way too ridiculous, especially with the carriers bitching about costs of upgrading their towers. We've been paying for it!

Carrier: T-mobile USA

Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Location: Los Angeles

Plan:unlimited talk, data, text month to month plan (I own my phones out-wright).

I pay $85 a month after all taxes and such... it was nearly double when I was on AT&T. T-mobile coverage has been acceptable. I do believe Verizon has better national coverage, however the price difference doesn't make it worth it.

killeriii said:

Bell

Iphone 4

$70/mo

400 daytime, free evenings & weekends, unlimited txt, unlimited data (10GB then throttle).

Hoping to get into Republic Wireless's beta, $20 a month! Woot.

Chazz said:

Oh I forgot, I use ATT.

Timonius Timonius said:

$0 - I don't need one, yet. Besides imho these companies are ripping the masses off but most are between a rock and a hard place

Cell Phone 'Spring' anyone?

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

About $35 a month through Cellular One. 300 daytime minutes, 1000 night a weekend starting at 6pm and unlimited text.

But I have an old plan I first got in 2005 and am grandfathered into. I really dont use that many minutes :P

metro pcs

100$ for 4 people unlimited call and text

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Job pays for mine - but I think my wife's is just over $200/mo since she has her father and cousin on her plan.

iphone 3gs on a prepaid plan unlimted plan for $45 a month. how?

1) Bought a magicjack, added local phone number.

2) Have a 5 gig data plan for $35/month and I also add a $10 card a month for texts.

Can call anywhere in US or Canada unlimited any time of the day.

Ma_ga said:

I don't use one, I just don't NEED it yet.

I used to have one, I spend like $30 pesos (~3dls) every month, just for emergencies (mines), I don't like to chit-chat in the cell, also I don't like to get call from work with I'm not in work time.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

$170 month 2 lines me and my 11yr old daughter I have the galaxy note on AT&T unlimted data text she has the iphone 4S 3gb plan 700 shared minutes family plan and 4500 rollover minutes.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Koodo

$50 a month for

50 Talk minutes,

50 Regular Text messages and

2GB data.

Teko03 said:

T-Mobile // $54 a month after taxes & fees.

500 minutes / Unlimited Text / Unlimited Data (2GB cap) / Unlimited Nights, Weekends & T-Mo to T-Mo

$41.37 after Taxes on ATT

HTC ONE X (Love the phone)

2000 any time Min

Unlimited Nights and weekends

4 GB Data Plan for LTE Tethering included

Just a friendly reminder, Check with your employer. Often times companies partner up with cell phone companies and get you a discount on your main line. It can range fro 15-23% off your bill! Or it can score you a huge discount like I have. It's very worth while to check into it. When I found out about the discount it, at the time, saved me 60 bucks a month. My plan just even went down 10 dollars a month once I swapped over to LTE instead of unlimited 3G.

$120 for 1,000 minutes - good for a year - Tracfone.

Xperia mini.

around $3 a month for unlimited data but with 400 mb quota :(.

I rarely call or text anymore so I pay for data only.

Location : se asia :D

Raswan Raswan said:

Motorola Droid Bionic 4G

Verizon

750 talk, unlimited text, 4GB data

80$

Verizon:

Family Plan

2000 minutes

unlimited text

4 lines (3 smartphones and one 1 simple phone)

2 smartphones unlimited data with special promotion 10$/month per line

other smartphone 4gb (30$/month)

21% off because of corporate discount

Monthly bill 182$

Justgivemeaname said:

$35 a month for 600 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data. No taxes and no fees.

Hello everyone, I feel sooooo much better about reading your comments. I thought I was the only one that was being taken by the cellular phone industry. I have an Iphone with ATT&T and although I have a grandfathered plan, 59.99/for a family plan, for 850 monthly minutes, free nights and weekends starting at 7 pm, of course it is looking very good. The only problem is that when I signed up the company was Cingulair and there were no Smartphones. Now we have 2 I phones, first of all they are very expensive to get and your expense increases as it is 25/month per phone for data for 2GB not unlimited. We have the Iphone 4S and I am not impressed the only thing new is Siri and if you think that it works like the adds, you are wrong, Siri is dumb and annoying, you cannot carry a conversation and she will not tell you jokes, she mainly tell you "Sorry I cannot help you with that", I don't know the answer to that", would you like for me to do a web search?, etc". I don't use this feature, It is useless. Besides that we have text, one $10 and one $5 and then we have my mother in laws phone that is a simple phone that I pay 14.95, it is supposed to be 9.95, then on top I pay for my extra line 14.95. I have seen sms messages that I am sure I did not used but I was charged for it. I am paying over 200.00/monthly for this. Do you think this is fair for me to be able to use technology? The government need to step in and make this more affordable expecially in this economy. I place calls, look up some info, check facebook for my granddaughter , simple stuff, but I have massive gallore excess roll over minutes that expire every months. Why if I have thouthansands of rollover minutes am I paying 200/dollars a month and my minutes expiring? I should be getting the service free until I whipe my minutes out. And let's not forget all the international taxes, federal taxes, and all the other taxes.

We need help!

Sincerely,

taina533@***.com

Wind Mobile Canada

$40 / month

The following apply when in the Wind Home zone

- Unlimited calls to US and Canada

- Unlimited data with tethering (speed is throttled once 5GB is exceeded)

- Unlimited international SMS

- Voice mail, caller ID, call forwarding included

This plan was called The Holiday Miracle plan and has been available the last 2 years during Christmas

For £10 ($15) a month get 250 UK minutes, unlimited UK texts and unlimited mobile Internet... (sim only deal)

philippines.

globe telecom.

prepaid.

samsung galaxy y gt5360, 3g, wifi n, android 2.3.6 gingerbread.

250 pesos prepaid load every two months.

rarely make any voice calls, hardly send any sms.

rare voice calls done thru viber app over wifi/wimax.

(wimax plan up to 512kbps, ~795 pesos per month)

(~43 pesos = 1 u.s. dollar)

hitech0101 said:

about Rs 35/- a month.

Scshadow said:

Straight Talk BYOD via straight talk branded at&t sim. $45 Unlimited talk and text with advertised unlimited data. Officially they say you won't get cut off as long as you don't tether. I'm not willing to test them though. Still an incredible value even though I keep my usage under 2GB. I get H+ service with 3 Mbps down on average. I need to try other roms and radios on my android phone cause it can do faster.

Prepaid - ~$40/month free evenings (6pm) and weekends + 2500 texts/month, no data.

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

Around 25 euro/month for 1000 minutes in local network, 180 minutes national and international land lines, 130 other national networks. No SMS and no data.

I pay $15 per month for a pre-paid phone through Verizon. I set up the payments to re-occur each month using their website to eliminate any service interruption. It only offers about 300 minutes per month, but I only use it for urgent phone calls when I am not at the office or not at home. Also, I programmed the ringer so I know who is calling. I let everyone else go to voice-mail and then use my landline to pick up my messages.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm coming in at about £10 a month at the moment. I hardly use my phone.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

Work pays for broadband and landline.

I'm antisocial, so I don't use my credit much. £10 every few months is enough to keep me in contact with my few friends.

I pay the amazing amount of 0?! Yes, zero euros! It's one of the perks of working for Portugal's biggest telecom company.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

One phone is Verizon prepaid $50 monthly for unlimited talk, text, data.

Second phone is iPhone 3GS paid for by work.

T-Mobile

My wife and I pay 110 a month. 2 Android phones.

750 shared mins, T-Mobile to T-Mobile free, 0 Text, 200 MB data for each line.

Thinking of changing the carrier.

Nicragomi said:

- 4 / 5 lines

- 1500 Minutes

- Unlimited Text

- Unlimited M2M

- Unlimited Data

- $185 / Mo.

I'm using Google Voice to call Canada from the States for free.

sqstultz said:

SPRINT: We pay $230/month- (4) smartphones plus (1) tablet, that's five devices. Sprint Everything Data Family Share 1500 mins, UNL txt, UNL data. We also get a 10% discount for being a member of a credit union. Just ask Sprint for the discount!

Issun said:

This month so far, 1.5 USD. Mostly thanks to iMessage.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Got a mystery bill from at&t for $1000. Never had a phone since >_>

drfan said:

Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro and Nokia N97

I have two prepaid numbers for talk (almost 90% of phone users in my country use prepaid). One with more than 5,000 minutes external call (to any other network), almost unlimited internal call (same network) which has life time of more than 10 years. Another number with about 15,000 minute to any network that can be used for around 25 years. Cost me $1,500-2,000 to top them up once but I won't have to pay any penny for the phone bill for the next 5 years at least.

3G data is dirt cheap in my country. I use 4 numbers for data only. Each number has 30G/month at the cost of $2.5/month for each. In total, they give me 120G/month at the cost of $10.

yRaz yRaz said:

We all pitch on a family plan with 1 smartphone and 2 cell phones.

1,400 minutes shared(I never use more than 50)

Unlimited text

3gb data.

$75/m

Our bill is ~$165/m but I pay the biggest chunk of change since I'm the only one with a smartphone. I have ATT

£30 a month for a Galaxy S II with 500 minutes (any network), 5000 texts, 1GB data and 2000 same-network minutes. This plan is about a year old though.

£29 a month for an HTC One X with 1000 minutes (any network), 5000 texts, unlimited 3G data and 2000 same-network minutes.

Can't believe how much the US companies charge to be honest...

tonylukac said:

ATT prepaid $8.33/month. Have Ooma "free" internet home phone service (actually $3/month for taxes) which I use for most of my calls.

Brother has a Tmoble Android prepaid smartphone for $45/month unlimited voice, unlimited text, 300 meg data (unlimited with wifi).

Tygerstrike said:

Ok as someone who sells cellphones and plans, let me give all of you a bit of advice. CALL YOUR CARRIER AND RENEGOTIATE YOUR CONTRACT!!!!! You would be surprised how many ppl just lay back and accept the price they pay. CHECK IF THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR HAS A DISCOUNT ON YOUR CELL BILL. Many ppl do not realize that depending on who you work for you could get as much as 25% off on your monthly bill. DONT FORGET TO GET INSURANCE!! The biggest problem the carriers have is ppl upgrade their phones and dont insure the 300-800$ phone they have just purchased. I see it so much, so many ppl ignore the fact that they have a mini computer in their hands if it is a smartphone. They ignore the insurance and 2-3 months later they are comming back to us crying that they broke their phone. Its sheer stupidity to NOT have insurance. Which would you rather pay? A little bit upfront or on your bill? Or the full retail price of a phone? Or pay the exit costs on your carrier plan which can be as high as 350$ plus the cost of the phone simply because you were either too stupid or cheap to protect yourself. I hope this helps a bit.

penn919 said:

-Metropcs

-Samsung Galaxy Attain

- $40 per month

-Unlimited phone calls

-Unlimited Text

-4G (up to 250mb before being throttled down)

Scshadow said:

Or you could just not be a bumbling ***** and take care of your phone. Your assumption is that you will break a phone. What will I pay? Neither, because I don't do stupid ****. Besides, the phones you get back when you use warranty or insurance is a refurb. Screw that, the last time I dealt with warranty it took 4 exchanges to get one that worked. I swear people are so ignorant when using their phones. Don't walk and text. Don't try to multitask while you're on the phone. Really, its not that hard. Anyway, point is, insurance is stupid. I take care of my things and so the manufacturer's warranty is all I need.

75$ after tax.

Rogers Canada.

Iphone 4s

1g data, unlimited text, free calls to my five(dont even have this set up), voicemail and callerID.

Mudvayne819 said: